Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 AM

9 posts, read 51,068 times

Advertisements

OK, this is a dumb question... But I just wanted to make sure...

I had a run-in with an Ohio state trooper that left me thinking maybe hate crime legislation is actually a good idea. To make a long story short, I got pulled over for doing 67 MPH when I didn't notice the speed limit had dropped from 65 to 55 MPH and ended up feeling lucky that I got to keep my car and got away with reckless operation charge, probation, and a 6-month suspension. I've already paid for a useless lawyer and paid $400 to the city, and I thought this was done with, but then when I went to renew my registration in October I was told that I owe Fairborn, OH, another $380 and my license is suspended until I pay that, along with a $15 reinstatement fee, along with $60 to register my car, along with a $20 late registration fee.

Since I'm moving to Arizona in early January and have to register my car there, I was just wondering if they'll refuse to give me an AZ license if they see OH suspended mine. My license isn't revoked, just suspended for owing money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
The state of AZ will refuse to give you a license. When you apply for an Arizona driverse license they will ask if you have licenses or suspensions in other states. You must tell the truth, because they will find out anyway. You will have to wait til your OH license comes off suspension, is re-instated or expires.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqueljune View Post

I had a run-in with an Ohio state trooper that left me thinking maybe hate crime legislation is actually a good idea. To make a long story short, I got pulled over for doing 67 MPH when I didn't notice the speed limit had dropped from 65 to 55 MPH and ended up feeling lucky that I got to keep my car and got away with reckless operation charge, probation, and a 6-month suspension. I've already paid for a useless lawyer and paid $400 to the city, and I thought this was done with, but then when I went to renew my registration in October I was told that I owe Fairborn, OH, another $380 and my license is suspended until I pay that, along with a $15 reinstatement fee, along with $60 to register my car, along with a $20 late registration fee.

Since I'm moving to Arizona in early January and have to register my car there, I was just wondering if they'll refuse to give me an AZ license if they see OH suspended mine. My license isn't revoked, just suspended for owing money.
Interesting question, Raqueljune.

My first guess would be NO but I would recommend a quick call to the Arizona MVD rather than relying on wild guesses.

Here's their link . . . Motor Vehicle Division

Old 11-09-2009, 10:56 AM

533 posts, read 1,461,998 times
Agreed with previous poster--don't rely on half-baked advice on the city data forum, call the people who can give you the real answer--the motor vehicles department. Get facts, not speculation.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Just pay the fine and be done with it. Seems pretty simple to me.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 AM

533 posts, read 1,461,998 times
Not sure the OP was looking for opinions but rather an answer to a specific question--and that answer won't be found on these forums, not without a bunch of inaccuracy and editorials.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
When a license is revoked, suspended etc from any state the information is entered into the National Drivers Registry of the NHTSA. When you apply the registry is routinely queried and it is unlikely that any state, including AZ, is going to issue you a license if you are suspended in another state.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:33 PM

9 posts, read 51,068 times
Thanks for the replies! I'll give them a call. I just wanted to make sure I have to give another $500 to this ****ing town...

Also, I know Ohio and Arizona have reciprocity regarding concealed carry permits. I have an Ohio Concealed Handgun Permit. Is there any problem with me waiting for that to expire before I get an Arizona one?

Old 11-09-2009, 05:19 PM

710 posts, read 3,392,140 times
It's a reciprocal permit recognized for non-residents. Once you become a resident here, you need an AZ permit.

Here is a quote from the DPS CCW section's FAQ.

I moved to Arizona and I have a CCW from my prior state of residence. How long before I have to get an Arizona CCW to carry legal in Arizona?
Once you become an Arizona resident and you wish to carry a concealed weapon you must obtain an Arizona CCW Permit.

Here's their contact info if you want to double check:

Click here to contact the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit by e-mail.

Phone / Fax
Metro Phoenix: (602) 256-6280
Outside Metro Phoenix (In Arizona): (800) 256-6280
Fax: (602) 223-2928

Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday

Mail
Concealed Weapons Permit Unit
P.O. Box 6488
Phoenix, Arizona 85005

Old 11-10-2009, 06:14 AM

227 posts, read 535,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqueljune View Post

Unfortunately these Dude's have got a badge and a gun to back up whatever they want to do and say. Even if it's unjustified and they lied through their teeth, there is nothing you can do. Just pay their bogus revenue fee and get the heck outta Dodge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona