Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times

Advertisements

I realize there aren't many posters here from that area, but here goes----

I plan to relocate to the south from Minnesota.

I narrowed it to the Ozarks of Arkansas and NE Alabama. ( been to both areas several times)

I've never checked out SW or NE Arkansas, however a friend ,yesterday, told me to check out Ashdown as he thoughht I might like it.

I am looking for a small city/ or rural area close by.
Ashdown's size, cost of living, and crime rate are all acceptable.

I plan on buying a year around place/house but taking many extended trips back to Minnesota from May thru October.

Ashdown seems to be much warmer in winter than the Ozarks and get less snow. Also, according to a map, Millwood Lake/Millwood State Park is close by.

Anybody know anything about that area?

I might be taking another trip to AR in a couple months and am wondering if a trip down farther south is worth it.

Satisfied with my list so far, but slightly warmer winter temps and less snow than the Ozarks sounds good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 10,264 times
You really don't want to live in Ashdown. There are places closer to Texarkana that would fit your needs just as well. Or go just a bit further north to Mena, Caddo Gap or Glenwood. Ashdown's air is smelly because of the paper mill there. It permeates everything. Even clothing items in the stores.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
Ashdown stinks. Literally.

I used to visit family in Texarkana and I always dreaded the drive through Ashdown. It smells like someone just farted in your face the whole time you are there.

I guess you will get used to it, but then you will probably stink to everyone else when you go out of town.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I'll scratch Ashdown from the list.

Everyplace one lives has ocassional things they don't like, but no sense moving someplace that has a constant, everyday, irritant.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 AM

490 posts, read 1,265,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merialys View Post
You really don't want to live in Ashdown. There are places closer to Texarkana that would fit your needs just as well. Or go just a bit further north to Mena, Caddo Gap or Glenwood. Ashdown's air is smelly because of the paper mill there. It permeates everything. Even clothing items in the stores.
I also think you might like Glenwood, my sister has lived there for over 30 years and would live no where else. You would be fairly close to the 3 lakes around Hot Springs, Lake DeGray just north of Arkadelphia and Lake Greeson, which are all nicer than Millwood. Plus the beautiful Caddo River runs right through Glenwood.

The only downside to Glenwood for me (I like an occasional adult beverage) would be it being in a dry county, you would have to drive about 10-15 miles towards Hot Springs to the Garland county line to buy any alcoholic beverages.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Thanks..........I currently drive 12 miles to stock uo on Old Milwaukee here in rural Minnesota.

I did drive past Lake Degray a couple years ago in late January and drove thru the campsites. The lake looked nice and there actually were 2 camping trailers there with folks grilling. ( it was -25 in Minnesota at the time )

I will be checking those areas out.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Just wondering why Glenwood has 6.9% of its population listed as......foreign born Latin America?

Arkansas, as a state, only has 2.8%

Is there a poultry processing plant that is attracting them ?

Also, being a Catholic, I was glad to read that there was one in Glenwood.
(disappointed that the church only has one mass on weekends and it is in Spanish )

Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 AM

490 posts, read 1,265,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Just wondering why Glenwood has 6.9% of its population listed as......foreign born Latin America?

Arkansas, as a state, only has 2.8%

Is there a poultry processing plant that is attracting them ?

Also, being a Catholic, I was glad to read that there was one in Glenwood.
(disappointed that the church only has one mass on weekends and it is in Spanish )
You hit the nail on the head, there is a noticeable hispanic presence around Glenwood and it is due to the poultry industry. I am catholic myself but did not realize that about the church in Glenwood. That is Baptist country and I would guess that the vast majority of the catholics in Glenwood are hispanic.

I visit Glenwood quite often and will do more so when I retire to Hot Springs Village next year. At one point I was going to retire in Glenwood and had even bought an acre there on the Caddo but I love to golf and HSV offered more of what I wanted (9 courses vs one at Glenwood) so I sold my property in Glenwood. Other than that, I would be moving there next year myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas