Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 AM

511 posts, read 799,456 times

Advertisements

I took a 4 hour road trip to Bentonville over the weekend, and was a bit surprised to find that not one single car drove the speed limit of 70 on I-40. I was the only car obeying the law. Even if I punched it to 80 in the passing lane, idiots rode my bumper being so impatient as I was in their fast lane for a few seconds.

The shocking thing was people flew by me like I was sitting still when in reality I was going the speed limit. They had to be driving 90 miles an hour. It annoys me that such drivers are willing to risk their lives only to save a few minutes of wait time. The speed limit is there for a purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
I took a 4 hour road trip to Bentonville over the weekend, and was a bit surprised to find that not one single car drove the speed limit of 70 on I-40. I was the only car obeying the law. Even if I punched it to 80 in the passing lane, idiots rode my bumper being so impatient as I was in their fast lane for a few seconds.

The shocking thing was people flew by me like I was sitting still when in reality I was going the speed limit. They had to be driving 90 miles an hour. It annoys me that such drivers are willing to risk their lives only to save a few minutes of wait time. The speed limit is there for a purpose.
first of all, you were not on 40 the entire way, as you turn onto 540 going north so your story already has holes and if everyone was going faster than 70 MPH, and you were going 70 MPH, why were you passing anyone? Obviously some were not going over the speed limit, but thanks for posting. Some of us need good laughs on occassion...

NIta

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
I'm pretty sure all those drivers disobeyed the speed limit just to irk you Dave! It had to have been strange seeing all those speeding cars. Since no one in Texas ever breaks the speed limit. I hope this event hasnt scarred you for life!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:35 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,000 times
I can attest that many do not drive within the speed limit on 540 between Fayetteville and B'ville. I tend to drive 71B just to avoid those crazies.

It's truly a wonder there are not more accidents on 540.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
I can attest that many do not drive within the speed limit on 540 between Fayetteville and B'ville. I tend to drive 71B just to avoid those crazies.

It's truly a wonder there are not more accidents on 540.
I don't think that is really the issue here, most hwy there are people who drive about 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit and Dave was talking about 40, not 540. If the speed people drive in NWA is scary to you, try driving in TX or Ca for starters?

Nita

Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,697 times
The passing lane is for passing. I'll ride someone's tail if they are impeding the flow of traffic in the fast lane by not getting right. It is not safe to pass on the right because of people like Texas Dave.

Left Lane is For Passing!!!

Quote:
Even if I punched it to 80 in the passing lane, idiots rode my bumper being so impatient as I was in their fast lane for a few seconds.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:51 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:

Welcome back! Long time no rant!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:11 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,294 times
Quote:

You were going the speed limit? That's funny! In all seriousness, thank you for obeying the law and not being a danger to society while on the road.

Personally, I have the need to speed.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:07 PM

511 posts, read 799,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
The passing lane is for passing. I'll ride someone's tail if they are impeding the flow of traffic in the fast lane by not getting right. It is not safe to pass on the right because of people like Texas Dave.

Left Lane is For Passing!!!

Just because the left lane is for passing doesn't mean you have the legal right to speed up way past the speed limit. I only pass if someone is going slower than 70 and a few truckers were doing like 60. I try to get out of the left lane asap after passing.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 PM

697 posts, read 1,775,178 times
Quote:
Just because the left lane is for passing doesn't mean you have the legal right to speed up way past the speed limit. I only pass if someone is going slower than 70 and a few truckers were doing like 60. I try to get out of the left lane asap after passing.
Thank you for that, I appreciate people that don't left lane camp and I certainly wouldn't ride the bumper of someone behaving that way.

My comment to you about being the only "safe driver" is that speed and safety are not always the same thing. You can drive the speed limit and still be a dangerous driver. I am confident there are people out there that could be perfectly safe driving at 90 miles an hour, and there are people out there that aren't safe driving at 50 miles an hour. I don't mind people speeding (I tend to be one of the 5-7 over crowd on the highway myself), as long as they don't do dangerous merges, tailgate, etc. It's not the speeding itself that causes most accidents, it's the way some of those people drive while speeding that makes things dangerous. That said, going way over or way under the speed limit when there's quite a bit of traffic does make an accident much more likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas