Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Okay, I'm intrigued. Not thrilled with the state income tax rates, but that's not the only issue.

Fayetteville looks and sounds like a very fun place - but how close is fishing? I don't think it's really in the immediate area, correct? Bentonville and Rogers also sound like possibilities - same question about the fishing.

Bella Vista - this one is very unique and I like the look and sound of it in many ways. The housing prices (so far as I can tell) are reasonable in comparison to some other areas of the country we've considered, but is there a decent inventory of houses that are less than 10 years old?

Neither of us are church-goers. Is that going to make us outcasts in this area of the country? (I'm not trying to be obnoxious. I totally respect that this is an important part of many communities, and going someplace where we wouldn't fit in because we don't attend church would not be comfortable for anyone.)

Now let's talk about weather. I know this is hard, because it's so subjective and variable. And it does appear from online weather sites that there is a difference between, say, Fayetteville and Bella Vista. Can you guys give me an idea of the following (during an average weather year):

1. How much snow is on the ground? How long does it last? How many days per year does it snow to the point of an accumulation? Umm, would we need snow tires?

2. How would you describe the humidity? Again, how long does the humid season last? Is it so bad that you can't even go outside? (that's the way the heat is in AZ.) Humid both day and night?

3. Does that humidity produce the usual side dish of mosquitoes and other buggies? Are porches always screened in?

Thanks again. You guys are very helpful and friendly here - y'all should be getting paid by the COC!
Church: don't worry, we know a lot of people here who either do not go to church at all or rarely go. Yes, at first you might be asked if you have a home church or about religion, but rarely does your answer faze others. This isn't quite like say, Ft Smith and south.

No, you do not need snow tires: normally we get about 5 or 6 days a year with really heavey snow; Bella Vista might get a little more than Fayetteville, but there isn't much difference. I am not sure of the average accumulation, but I am thinking it is something like 10inches. It will last for a day or so. Maybe once a year you will be snowed in for a few days (a few days being 2 or 3) Again, it doesn't happen often. We are going on 4 years here: the first year we had an ice storm that pretty much kept us inside for about 3 days: the second year we only had one really bad snow: it was Christmas and we were not snowed in by anymeans. Last winter was not something any of us want to talk about, it was record breaking just like the heat has been this summer.

No the humidity isn't so bad you can't go outside. It is bad from about early July until maybe mid to late Augest, but yesterday (over a 100 degrees and humid) I did work in the garden (mid day) for about 45 minutes. Would I take a long walk or go hiking in it? NO, of course not.

Yes, we have creepy crawlers, we have a few snakes, some bad guys, some not. We have only seen a couple since we moved here. One was a baby and I have seen a few large black snakes by the side of the road. They are harnless but scary, just like you have snakes in AZ. We also have spiders and other yucky guys. As for mosquitos? We have some but not a lot. What we do have are Chiggers (they can be very anoying, but won't do serious damage, just make you itch. They do not bother me, but do my husband and we have ticks as well.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 07:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Okay, I'm intrigued. Not thrilled with the state income tax rates, but that's not the only issue.

Fayetteville looks and sounds like a very fun place - but how close is fishing? I don't think it's really in the immediate area, correct? Bentonville and Rogers also sound like possibilities - same question about the fishing.

Bella Vista - this one is very unique and I like the look and sound of it in many ways. The housing prices (so far as I can tell) are reasonable in comparison to some other areas of the country we've considered, but is there a decent inventory of houses that are less than 10 years old?

Neither of us are church-goers. Is that going to make us outcasts in this area of the country? (I'm not trying to be obnoxious. I totally respect that this is an important part of many communities, and going someplace where we wouldn't fit in because we don't attend church would not be comfortable for anyone.)

Now let's talk about weather. I know this is hard, because it's so subjective and variable. And it does appear from online weather sites that there is a difference between, say, Fayetteville and Bella Vista. Can you guys give me an idea of the following (during an average weather year):

1. How much snow is on the ground? How long does it last? How many days per year does it snow to the point of an accumulation? Umm, would we need snow tires?

2. How would you describe the humidity? Again, how long does the humid season last? Is it so bad that you can't even go outside? (that's the way the heat is in AZ.) Humid both day and night?

3. Does that humidity produce the usual side dish of mosquitoes and other buggies? Are porches always screened in?

Thanks again. You guys are very helpful and friendly here - y'all should be getting paid by the COC!
All of Northwest Arkansas has immediate access to fishing. From Beaver Lake (a HUGE lake), to rivers, streams, smaller lakes and ponds, it doesn't matter where you live, you can get to a fishing hole pretty easily.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,249 times
Since you leave Phoenix to escape the summer heat, I suggest you go to AR right now and see if you like this heat any better.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Since you leave Phoenix to escape the summer heat, I suggest you go to AR right now and see if you like this heat any better.
The o/p understands humidity. She's asking for specific, useful information to help with the decision-making process.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
The o/p understands humidity. She's asking for specific, useful information to help with the decision-making process.
I'm not so sure they do understand the humidity issue. They will find the humidity in the Ozarks almost as bad as Florida, which they have already eliminated. The person who suggested a visit is right on...this is the worst time of year for humidity in the Ozarks, so why not test it out ?

Average Fayetteville humidity is low of 60% high of almost 90%

Average Orlando, FL humidity is low 60%, high, low 90's.

Religion....In a larger community you will fit right in, in a smaller one, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Baptists controlled everything when I lived in the Ozarks in the 70's...from the liquor laws to bible class in public schools....even tho' it was/is illegal.

Taxes...I'm sure it's changed, but in the 70's my 20 acre farm in was taxed $4.96....

If the humidity does not scare you off, I'd suggest you give Bull Shoals a look, they have had retiree's moving in from Chicago for 40 years or better, close to the lake, prize trout waters of the White River....Arkansas is pretty, but it is also humid, it can get damn cold and you will get snow.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I'm not so sure they do understand the humidity issue. They will find the humidity in the Ozarks almost as bad as Florida, which they have already eliminated. The person who suggested a visit is right on...this is the worst time of year for humidity in the Ozarks, so why not test it out ?

Religion....In a larger community you will fit right in, in a smaller one, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Baptists controlled everything when I lived in the Ozarks in the 70's...from the liquor laws to bible class in public schools....even tho' it was/is illegal.

Taxes...I'm sure it's changed, but in the 70's my 20 acre farm in was taxed $4.96....

If the humidity does not scare you off, I'd suggest you give Bull Shoals a look, they have had retiree's moving in from Chicago for 40 years or better, close to the lake, prize trout waters of the White River....Arkansas is pretty, but it is also humid, it can get damn cold and you will get snow.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
My wife also lived in the Ozarks in the 70s. We live in them now. Yes, we get humidity. Nature of the beast. Yes, there's still a strong, Baptist influence but in a recent election, several northern AR counties became "wet." Times they are achangin'.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:44 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,195 times
We can certainly agree to disagree. I have a lot of family in NWA, and I live in Phoenix. I don't care for the humidity, but it's not intolerable, considering the other trade-offs.

As for the religion issue, I have family all over the board on that subject, from the aggressively evangelical, to agnostic headbangers. In all my visits to the area, religion has never been more of an issue than cocktail party conversation, akin to "what do you do for a living?"

The wet vs. dry situation never hindered me in enjoying a great wine or a fine margarita.

BTW, I love NWA, and would move if circumstances permitted.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,164 times
Hey jkgourmet! I'm not going down without a fight for Hot Springs Three lakes and two rivers within a 15/30 minute drive, depending on where you reside. So lot of fishing, boating, and canoeing. Camping and hiking in the Ouachita Mountains and on the Ouachita National Forest. Check it out

Old 07-29-2011, 12:00 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Can't - we're spending the summer in Ajijic, Mexico - south of Guadalajara. Thanks for the helpful suggestion, though.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:08 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Gemstone, thanks for bringing this up as it IS a major factor to us. Do you have a suggestion for another part of the country that might be a better fit based on what I described in my OP? We are wide open, unconstrained by family ties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas