Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:02 PM

100 posts, read 164,853 times

Advertisements

mod cut I think the young population of our state is rather progressive, which is in line with the rest of country for the most part. It's only a matter of time.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-13-2014 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-12-2014, 03:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
I think a slim majority of Arkansans would approve of civil unions for gays. I'm fairly certain I've seen a poll stating as such. The vote for this was taken in 2004, and public opinion has changed quite a bit since then all over the U.S.

Add Marion County to the list of counties which have issues same-sex marriage licenses now.
i do agree, civil unions yes, but I don't consider that quite the same as marriage. Our foster daughter who lives in OR and is gay has been with her partner over 20 years. She says if OR does pass a gay marriage law she and her partner might not get married. They have all the legal rights now, and she agrees, marriage is between one man and one woman. Now, if the law is changed we see how she really feels.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:32 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,518 times
I'll tell what I think.. I think people often show their stupidity. Gay people have parents and I happen to be one of them. I am one percent hetero but my kid is one hundred percent gay. She has been since she was a kid and she didn't have boyfriends even as a kid. I have taken the Myers Briggs or MBTI and I am a female INTJ.. which is pretty rare. I am more male than female. I know my relationships would have been more successful if I had been gay but I also know that I carry the gay gene. I was in realtionship with fantastic male for 15 years but he was more female but hetero.

I also have two ( mentally) adopted kids who are gay and no one else can have him.. because they are that special.

Their relationships are not bothering anyone else and no one else even notices them, most of the time.. and then "people bit*h" when they want to be treated like human beings. They haven't gone anywhere and don't disappear because the thought "hurts" or "varies" from other people. I am personally delighted it's going through, but this back and forth BS is only going to cause them to feel accepted one day and not the next. Total BS

Old 05-12-2014, 03:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
mod cutIt was a single judge that made the decision, not the young progressives in the state. I might also add, a lot of the voting public live in areas like NWA and the area is extremely conservative. It isn't progressive. Have you looked at our elected officials?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-14-2014 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: off topic - orphaned

Old 05-12-2014, 03:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I am wondering if he is the same judge that overturned the law on same sex couples being foster parents. In 2008 the state overwhelmingly voted to not allow same sex foster parents. Though my husband and I support same sex foster parenting and voted to allow same sex couples the right to have foster children. My problem was, the law was passed opposing it and a judge, about 2 years later overturned what the people had passed. I have a huge problem with this. I can accept a judge's ruling if the law is unconstitutional, but not just because he or she doesn't think it is fair.
And you think the law was Constitutional, because?????

The judge doesn't rule on "fairness", judges do rule on Constitutionality.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And you think the law was Constitutional, because?????

The judge doesn't rule on "fairness", judges do rule on Constitutionality.
True, but many times ruling on the Constitutionality is strictly an opinion that is legally binding.
Having an adult lesbian daughter, if true, would certainly sway ones opinion.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
True, but many times ruling on the Constitutionality is strictly an opinion that is legally binding.
Having an adult lesbian daughter, if true, would certainly sway ones opinion.
That is why I posted that post. Every gay person has a parent. So, the votes will be ( on their behalf) either with one or two votes in their favor, depending if one child has one or two parents. I am sure that not all parents accept their child s sexuality.. but they really can't change it. I do know that the gay issue.. one is totally geared that way while the others are choices ( or something) The people that I know are a hundred percent or there is no choice about it but I am sure there are others that will vary at different times in their life, simply because they are running from it and want the same acceptance as a non-gay person.

That's really all I have to say about it. That-- and they will just move to other states.. so revenue will be lost because of no acceptance. There should be a tax on stupidity for the vacant lots in the state. And then, the state will just to have to increase taxes somewhere else because of lost revenue.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Also ( while I am thinking about it) most gay couples live under the radar... especially if one of them has a child. They can't commit legally because it's against the law ( right now.. or whatever) so they can stay shacked-up forever having two separate incomes while the state supports one parent and a child.. and the other is living there.

If people would wake up, they would see that not legalizing the marriage just forces them to be shacked-up for the rest of their lives and they don't have to take responsibility. I am not indicating that all gay people are that way but that is what society has forced them to do.. so, they end-up regressing.

I think it will be a couple of decades to see all marriage licenses of gay people, even it it's legalized ( and stays that way) verses this back and forth BS.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 05-12-2014 at 05:33 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 PM

I just looked at the news.. here it is..

It’s a lot I mean we have such a small window this morning because I know they’re going to put a stop to it as soon as they can,” Rister said.

First Same-Sex Couple Legally Married in Washington County | 5NEWSOnline.com

I am very happy for the couples that married but am thoroughly disgusted that the above couple was at the clerks office at 2:30 am because they knew it would be overturned in a very short time. I encourage the same response for all future hetero marriage licenses as well.. period. Completely pathetic..

Old 05-12-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Now it's OK for me to not only marry my sister but I can marry my brother also.
Federal judges have ruled against gay-marriage bans in Michigan, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia and Texas, and ordered Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee to recognize same-sex marriages from other states.

Arkansas officials scramble over same-sex marriage ruling - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas