Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:04 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,354,324 times

Advertisements

I noticed other than Hot Springs, there is a Hot Springs National Park and Hot Springs Village. Are all 3 areas good areas to live for semi retirees or is there one not so good?

I was stuck on Mountain Home but decided to look around in this area also. It confused me going to Trulia and I saw all 3 of these areas listed. I thought they were all the same.

I see it's about an hours drive to Little Rock.....but is HS the type of small town that still has restaurants and medical. Is it a good town to live or is it just a resort for golfing and all? Would love to have a farmers market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:24 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,907,239 times
Hot Springs Village is a gated community in the mountains several miles north of H.S. and , I understand, is occupied by retired people and is primarily a golfing community, but also has fishing lakes on the property. Hot Springs is the incorporated town within Hot Springs National Park. The national park has tried (unsuccessfully) to make H.S. quit using "Hot Springs National Park" as their name.

I have never lived in H.S. but have worked there several times over the years and if circumstances permitted would like to live there. My sister lives there. I don't know if they have a farmers market but I suspect they do. It is a "tourist town", but not exclusively. There are wide areas of housing developments outside of the city limits.

H.S. has two great hospitals and many doctors offices/clinics of about every specialty.

If you will check you will find many Hot Springs Threads on this Arkansas Forum and probably find many answers there. Welcome to The Natural State.

Last edited by Old Fossil; 04-28-2015 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 04-28-2015, 03:34 PM

Thank you for the info. Old Fossil. It was getting confusing.

I don't mind touristy towns as I live in one now but I also wanted the town to have something more than a golf course or tourist stuff.

Going to try and get to Ark. within the next few months while the weather is nice and check out different parts of it.

Like I said above, I was more interested in Mountain Home, and I still am but I'm open to other areas too.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:36 PM

22 posts, read 39,099 times
We live in Hot Springs Village, having relocated here approximately a year ago. We love it. We love Hot Springs also, It is a beautiful area and would recommend it to retirees and families.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:58 PM

thank you Cheryllynnd......

You and I share the same first and middle name.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:18 PM

22 posts, read 39,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
thank you Cheryllynnd......

You and I share the same first and middle name.
/''

Wow! That is interesting! We would love to help you explore the area. We are enjoying our new home. I am from the midwest, born in California, but relocated to the midwest and my husband is from the south, born in Louisiana, also relocated to the midwest.

Hot Springs Village has been a wonderful place for us to relocate. We bought a good, solid home and are updating it. It will soon be our ideal home, as soon as we put our finishing touches on it.

So far we have enjoyed the blessings of the neighbors and also the blessings of the area.

We hope you can find the same.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 PM

340 posts, read 517,462 times
The National Park is primarily the downtown area where the historic bath houses, hospitals, etc are located.

The town of Hot Springs is about 35,000 population. It's a tourist town and has far more hotels, restaurants, attractions, and "things to do" than any other city its size that I know of.

Hot Springs Village is where we live, moved here two years ago. Yes, it was built as a retirement community and still has about 60% of the residents who are retired. It is also the largest gated community in the USA, golf has historically been the main draw, but that is changing. There are 9 golf courses, 10 semi private lakes (Villagers and guests only), and many restaurants, banks, medical office, real estate offices, etc etc. just outside the village is a Wal Mart, grocery stores, Walgreens, auto parts, restaurants, pretty much everything any small to medium sized town would have. HOT springs is 30 minutes away, the southern Little Rock suburbs are less than an hour away.

When we moved here, it was a relocation for work. We found that we could get a lot more home for our money in the Village, you will definitely want to check it out when you're in the area.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:18 PM

340 posts, read 517,462 times
There is another gated community near Mountain Home that was developed by the same folks who developed HSV. It's called Cherokee Village. Lots of retirees there too, in fact both the Hot Springs and Mountain Home areas have lots of retirees, Arkansas is a retirement friendly state.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:41 AM

No wonder I seem to be attracted to both places....HS and Mountain Home.

Thanks all for the information. I didn't know that HS and HSV were 30 minutes apart either.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,767,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
No wonder I seem to be attracted to both places....HS and Mountain Home.
From what I've gathered in my "research" (non-scientific though it may be ),Cherokee Village is nowhere near as nice as Hot Springs Village, and actually seems to be running down.

Do a search on CV on this board and see what you find. Here's one to get you started:

Cherokee Village Start with post #15 and read to the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas