U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2009, 02:31 PM
 
34 posts, read 92,716 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

I do have an outside antenna on a tower and a digital box. I have picked up a couple of stations very infrequently in the past 3 months, have several that shows weak signal, so i know I don't need a different antenna.

However, if you can tell me where I can get a signal booster, that might help. You would think that I could get the closest place which is about 25-30 miles away. If I could only get that one station, I would be happy.

What does AVS stand for where I can google it? Also, we live in southeast MO. I was mentioning Flippin area because I know of several people in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 PM
 
163 posts, read 542,819 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
There is no such thing as a 'digital antenna'. Look at the links above and determine if you need a UHF, VHF or combination antenna as well as the size antenna that you need.
What I was doing was simplifying the terminology.

Search results for digital antenna - Wal-mart

If it's an issue of semantics, then digital antenna's are abound:
Digital Antenna - Marine & Land Antennas, Cell Boosters Cellular Signal Amplifiers Wireless Repeaters Increase Cell Phone Reception Strength


Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Make sure the antenna is oriented correctly based on the location of the broadcast towers. Having it near a window will do nothing if your window is not facing the towers. Getting the antenna higher will almost always help with reception. I have a $20 Radio Shack antenna in the attic feeding my high def DVR's.
The reception will be better if the antenna is near a window versus against a wall (obviously in the direction of the towers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I'd look up the information first. For example, Rabbit ears won't work if you live in Eldorado and want to pick up Little Rock stations. You will need a large antenna mounted on a tower as well as a signal booster.
What I said is that if she is already picking up her local channels on rabbit ears then there is a good chance of picking up the same channels on DTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 09:43 AM
 
Location: MS
3,949 posts, read 3,853,872 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngurl View Post
What does AVS stand for where I can google it? Also, we live in southeast MO. I was mentioning Flippin area because I know of several people in that area.
Audio Video Sciences. Here's a direct link to the local discussion index. Find your DMA (Demographic Market Area) and you should find people local to you who can help or at least who have gone through this. link (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453241 - broken link)

You can get boosters at any online store that sells antennas. Solid Signal is my favorite. I like Channel Master products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
What I was doing was simplifying the terminology.
That just causes issues. If people had been educated from the beginning there wouldn't have been issues and we could have converted years ago instead of this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
The reception will be better if the antenna is near a window versus against a wall (obviously in the direction of the towers).
Not always correct. My antenna isn't near any window and gets great reception because it is pointed in the correct direction. I helped my neighbor a few weeks ago. He had his antenna pointed 90 degrees in the wrong direction. 3 seconds later he had a perfect signal on all channels. No windows near his antenna either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
What I said is that if she is already picking up her local channels on rabbit ears then there is a good chance of picking up the same channels on DTV.
Not always. If all of the analog channels are in the VHF range and the digital channels are in the UHF range then it will be antenna dependent. Also not all stations are broadcasting ther digital signal at full power. Even Little Rock is having issues after the collapse of KATV's tower in Redfield. They won't have a new tower on Shinal Mountain for a few years. All of the tower companies are over-booked with transition work.

-Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 10:23 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 4,357,591 times
Reputation: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
. If all of the analog channels are in the VHF range and the digital channels are in the UHF range then it will be antenna dependent.
Not all digitals are UHF.

I see a 9 and a 12 in here.

FCC Order 98-315 - DTV Channel Allotments - Arkansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 10:34 AM
 
163 posts, read 542,819 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

That just causes issues. If people had been educated from the beginning there wouldn't have been issues and we could have converted years ago instead of this month.

Not always correct.....

Not always......

-Robert
Don't agree with you. I have set up enough of these systems to know that layman's terms is suitable in this instance. There is no need to over-complicate the process. If this was a technical forum, I would have phrased my response differently, but it's not. By purchasing a DTV suitable antenna and trying it out (as most stations are transmitting DTV albeit some at lower power), the OP will get a feel for what's out there at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
 
Location: MS
3,949 posts, read 3,853,872 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Not all digitals are UHF.

I see a 9 and a 12 in here.

FCC Order 98-315 - DTV Channel Allotments - Arkansas
That's why I used "If". One of many scenarios that can impact reception. I don't know what DMA sutherngurl is in so I gave her links to help her help herself. I've see the allotments but I haven't followed whether or not any AR stations are going to switch their digital signal back to their original frequency or stay with their digital frequency. Here in the Memphis area, we have all of the digital channel in the UHF band but that will change on the morning of the transition. Our CBS station is moving their digital feed back to channel 3 when they turn off their analog channel 3 feed.

-Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
 
Location: MS
3,949 posts, read 3,853,872 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
Don't agree with you. I have set up enough of these systems to know that layman's terms is suitable in this instance. There is no need to over-complicate the process. If this was a technical forum, I would have phrased my response differently, but it's not. By purchasing a DTV suitable antenna and trying it out (as most stations are transmitting DTV albeit some at lower power), the OP will get a feel for what's out there at the moment.
This has been my primary hobby since 1999 when I purchased my first HDTV receiver even though no station in Little Rock was broadcasting a digital signal. It wasn't until I moved to the Memphis area that I started watching HD. I've helped family, friends, neighbors and total strangers on the 'net get set up for digital and HD.

Suitable antenna depends entirely on the channels she wants to pick up now and after the transition.

My biggest complaint is the labeling of everything 'digital' and raising the prices. Radio Shack did that with their bow-tie antennas. I bought a UHF bow-tie on close-out for $5. A month later they had a 'digital bow-tie antenna' for $25. The same antenna I purchased but in a different box.

-Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 4,357,591 times
Reputation: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
My biggest complaint is the labeling of everything 'digital' and raising the prices. Radio Shack did that with their bow-tie antennas. I bought a UHF bow-tie on close-out for $5. A month later they had a 'digital bow-tie antenna' for $25. The same antenna I purchased but in a different box.

-Robert
Zactly.

The girl in S. MO should be getting the Springfield market.

Check my location in Izard, and I'm getting all Springfield stations, Memphis stations, Channel 8 in Jonesboro, and occasionally Little Rock.

I'm running an AntennaCraft HD1850 on 40 feet of Rohn tower with a rotor.

No pre-amp, and unlike some, I don't reccomend a pre-amp. It will increase noise, along with the signal.


I'm thinking that if she has a problem, I'd look first in the coax quality and the connectors. Crimped F connectors and cheap coax have caused more problems than they are worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 03:07 PM
 
Location: MS
3,949 posts, read 3,853,872 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Zactly.

The girl in S. MO should be getting the Springfield market.

Check my location in Izard, and I'm getting all Springfield stations, Memphis stations, Channel 8 in Jonesboro, and occasionally Little Rock.

I'm running an AntennaCraft HD1850 on 40 feet of Rohn tower with a rotor.

No pre-amp, and unlike some, I don't reccomend a pre-amp. It will increase noise, along with the signal.


I'm thinking that if she has a problem, I'd look first in the coax quality and the connectors. Crimped F connectors and cheap coax have caused more problems than they are worth.
You sound like those hardcore guys on AVS Forum. There is a guy in Star City that can get a Memphis station every once in a while. I'm lucky to be 22 miles from the tower farm with relatively flat land between us.

-Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 03:31 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 4,357,591 times
Reputation: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
You sound like those hardcore guys on AVS Forum.
-Robert
That's probably because I am one of those hardcore guys on the AVS forum.

I've hung out there a long time. I've been hooked on audio/video since I was about 15.

There....*are*.....cheaper hobbies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top