Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 01:20 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,643,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option Trader View Post
zero
That is the correct answer. Barksdale has B-52H models, and they don't have water injection, so they don't make the unique sound the G model did, back in the day.

I was in Centaf, (middle eastern and south asia, AF operations) back in the cold war, but did some time in US Southern Command (drug interdiction).

I am aware of the saber rattling that is going on between the US, Russia, China, and Iran. (And Little Rocket Man, of course.) I think it may become a problem, next year, but not this year. I am not going to go into my reasoning right now (off topic for this forum, and premature for CityData), but if you watch what I post, I'll get around to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 03:01 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I'm in Jasper. For at least the past week, starting mid afternoon every day, you start hearing the jets. They pass over but we only hear them, not really see them (or at least I haven't seen them). This goes on till about 9pm every night. Many locals are now talking about it, so it's definitely noticeable. Is anyone else hearing this?

We are used to the c130's practicing low altitude flying but this is different. These are definitely not the c130's.
The increased traffic in what is called the Shirley 1 Military Operations Area, which is near you, probably has something to do with the following:

https://talkbusiness.net/2021/02/dec...rify-moa-uses/

Old 05-04-2021, 04:30 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
The increased traffic in what is called the Shirley 1 Military Operations Area, which is near you, probably has something to do with the following:

https://talkbusiness.net/2021/02/dec...rify-moa-uses/
Thanks, this is probably the best explanation i've found yet.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I think you guys in that area also have a bunch of c17's in and out as well

I guess I'm getting immune to the noise because of all the activity in and around central, swFL, heavies, transports, now cargo for Amazon in central FL, Fedex, legacy passenger, and an unbelievable (I mean really unbelievable) amount of private craft such as a ton of CessnaII's, Globals, Gulfstreams, Hawker 700a's 800HP's, Lears etc....some of which seem to come in hot all the time, and some should be banned or fined...LOL....especially coming into Sarasota and the extraordinary amount in Naples. Oh well, LOL
If you are accurate, what you are saying is of great intel value.
I am going to pass it up the chain and see what they say.
Might be a few days.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:38 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,265 times
Quote:
The (jet)roar of B52's is unmistakable and easy to identify...it's unique. You won't see them at altitude or even most times from the ground. The bellies are mostly painted white to match the clouds, but you damn sure can hear them until they get to altitude and hear them on the glide path back in. They don't have 'hush kits' LOL
They used to do a slow pass over northern Wyoming - an electronics warfare target. Most out of Minot

Old 05-05-2021, 06:34 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Had a C17 fly over last week. VERY unusual.

Ospreys often, even an occasional KC-130, but never a C17....

Old 05-05-2021, 08:06 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
Hollynla, when we got married, my wife lived a little over 10 miles "as the crow flies" from Ft. Campbell, Ky., home of the 101st Airborne. I understand what you're talking about with the noise from the jets, but try hearing the "THUMP THUMP THUMP" of the helicopter blades even from that distance, way into the night. My wife and her mother said you get used to it and don't think about it, but I had a few nights I couldn't get to sleep because the Hueys (the big choppers) training all night. My step daughter and family lived out further from us and you could hear artillery training from their yard.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:59 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,211,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Hollynla, when we got married, my wife lived a little over 10 miles "as the crow flies" from Ft. Campbell, Ky., home of the 101st Airborne. I understand what you're talking about with the noise from the jets, but try hearing the "THUMP THUMP THUMP" of the helicopter blades even from that distance, way into the night. My wife and her mother said you get used to it and don't think about it, but I had a few nights I couldn't get to sleep because the Hueys (the big choppers) training all night. My step daughter and family lived out further from us and you could hear artillery training from their yard.
Right after Hurricane Katrina hit I lived in the flight line of the helicopters from the New Orleans Airport and New Orleans. I heard the "THUMP THUMP THUMP" for weeks.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:40 AM

Quote:
I think you guys in that area also have a bunch of c17's in and out as well

I guess I'm getting immune to the noise because of all the activity in and around central, swFL, heavies, transports, now cargo for Amazon in central FL, Fedex, legacy passenger, and an unbelievable (I mean really unbelievable) amount of private craft such as a ton of CessnaII's, Globals, Gulfstreams, Hawker 700a's 800HP's, Lears etc....some of which seem to come in hot all the time, and some should be banned or fined...LOL....especially coming into Sarasota and the extraordinary amount in Naples. Oh well, LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
If you are accurate, what you are saying is of great intel value.
I am going to pass it up the chain and see what they say.
Might be a few days.
OK, it appears the military transports are related to our saber rattling, in response to Russia and China.

The business class jets, coming in hot, seem to be related to hostilities in Columbia and Venezuela.
(I should have known this, but, had taken my eye off that region for a while)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas