Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times

Advertisements

I am used to drinking tap water throughout the day (never bother with mineral water), and using tap water to make tea too, without purifying it. I also have twins who'll be 8 months when we move, and we don't sterilise their bottles/ water to make up cereal for them anymore. So, tap water is pretty central in our lifes What is the tap water like in Arkansas, specifically the NW area/ Rogers? I assume it is safe to drink but does it taste nice, is it safe for babies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 21,788 times
I'm in extreme South Arkansas but our tap water is "Da Bomb" here in El Dorado. I feel very fortunate to live where the tap water tastes so good.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:44 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
It's very drinkable in the Rogers area.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I am used to drinking tap water throughout the day (never bother with mineral water), and using tap water to make tea too, without purifying it. I also have twins who'll be 8 months when we move, and we don't sterilise their bottles/ water to make up cereal for them anymore. So, tap water is pretty central in our lifes What is the tap water like in Arkansas, specifically the NW area/ Rogers? I assume it is safe to drink but does it taste nice, is it safe for babies?
Here in Bella Vista it is just fine...

Nita

Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,389 times
The water in NWA is fine except when the lake turns which is about twice a year. It only last a couple of weeks and it seems they have done a better job the past few years at masking that turned lake taste.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
The water in NWA is fine except when the lake turns which is about twice a year. It only last a couple of weeks and it seems they have done a better job the past few years at masking that turned lake taste.
Yeah...when the lake turns over, the NWA water gets FOUL! I imagine it must still meet all standards for sanitation and everything but it's really nasty smelling. I'd recommend keeping bottled water on hand for when it happens. It's a result of cool spring rains falling on the warmer lake and causing the water at the bottom to rise to the top.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:56 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,035 times
Little Rock has some of the best tap water in the country. It regularly places in the top 3 in tasting competitions.

The downside is it comes from one of the most beautiful lakes in Arkansas and you can't swim, take a real motorboat, etc on it and you can't build homes around it. Small price to pay for great water., I guess

Old 02-01-2011, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 8,257 times
Actually, Little Rock water comes from lake winona. Maumelle is the backup lake. Lake Winona has been found to contain mercury in both the water and fish. There are numerous warnings on the lake regarding eating fish from the lake.

I have emailed the Little Rock Water division multiple times regarding the mercury in the lake and their subsequent testing and filtering. They have never responded. Their water quality materials do not provide/list measurements for mercury (PPM/PPB) but does lists the other contaminants for which they test and filter.

Without any official verification I have to assume they are not testing/filtering for mercury and subsequently do not drink the water without filtering it first.

Little Rock water tastes excellent, but is not indication of its quality.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
It is just fine. After living in NM it was a pleasure to move someplace where we could drink out of the tap plus wash dishes and have them come out clean, not spotted.

Nita

Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times
Having lived here two years now I must say the water tastes excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas