Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:49 AM

509 posts, read 735,536 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Searcy, but it seems like a nice place. I stumbled across some info on Harding University, and then the town. Anybody have first-hand info on the area (as a place to live)? For perspective, I am married & have three young kids. Both my wife and I are white collar professionals from Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
It's boring. Very boring. Small. Nothing to do. No diversity, and a lot of racists. There's literally nothing to do in Searcy. Don't put your kids through it. Conway also has a few colleges and it is larger, more diversified, and more interesting. I would recommend Conway before Searcy any day. I'd even recommend Cabot before Searcy simply because it is closer to LR and has a few amenities. One thing I will say though is Searcy is very safe. You won't have to be paranoid driving through your neighborhood at 1AM or anything.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
I've known people who have gone to Harding, and it seems pretty tame by university standards.
If Harding appeals to you, then so will Searcy. More conservative and mild-mannered people rave about Harding, crunchy liberal-types find it stifling. Searcy as a whole would be the same way.
The town isn't much different than any other similarly-sized place in Arkansas. Not bad, nothing overly special.
In response to post #2, racism and/or bigotry exists everywhere on planet earth, but it plays itself out differently from one culture to the next. Not something I'd be overly concerned with in Searcy.
Sleepy, not much to do if you're into big city cultural things. It's close to Little Rock which isn't spectacular, but the best Arkansas has to offer for that type of stuff.
Searcy is also at the doorstep of the Ozarks for outdoorsy things to do.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:34 PM

My priorities are: clean, safe, wholesome place to raise kids. I've lived most of my life in very large cities, and almost never visit things like pro sports venues, museums, symphony, etc. For the few times a decade I would visit those, we can do so on vacation trips.

Anybody know if Harding Academy (PK-12) has good academics?

Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I've known people who have gone to Harding, and it seems pretty tame by university standards.
If Harding appeals to you, then so will Searcy. More conservative and mild-mannered people rave about Harding, crunchy liberal-types find it stifling. Searcy as a whole would be the same way.
The town isn't much different than any other similarly-sized place in Arkansas. Not bad, nothing overly special.
In response to post #2, racism and/or bigotry exists everywhere on planet earth, but it plays itself out differently from one culture to the next. Not something I'd be overly concerned with in Searcy.
Sleepy, not much to do if you're into big city cultural things. It's close to Little Rock which isn't spectacular, but the best Arkansas has to offer for that type of stuff.
Searcy is also at the doorstep of the Ozarks for outdoorsy things to do.
Ever been to Searcy? True, racism exists everywhere - never denied that. It is, however, much more prevalent in Searcy than anywhere else I've ever lived. Well, except Cabot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
My priorities are: clean, safe, wholesome place to raise kids. I've lived most of my life in very large cities, and almost never visit things like pro sports venues, museums, symphony, etc. For the few times a decade I would visit those, we can do so on vacation trips.

Anybody know if Harding Academy (PK-12) has good academics?
Well, in that case, Searcy is indeed all of that. Clean, safe, good ol' little southern American town. If you don't need many amenities, Searcy will do you fine. I don't know anything about Harding Academy but I can assume its academics are at least slightly above average.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
It is, however, much more prevalent in Searcy than anywhere else I've ever lived. Well, except Cabot.

Take a trip to the delta for awhile.

You can get some great ribs & greens, if you live through it.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:02 AM

Well we finally had a chance to visit Searcy last week and I will say both the town and the college were even nicer than I was expecting. It didn't feel as small as the population would suggest. Plenty of restaurants, retail, etc. Some decent parks, a couple of really nice neighborhoods that were still reasonably priced. Everybody we met was pretty friendly. Had dinner at a pretty good Italian restaurant there. Seemed very wholesome.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:21 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Great news, it's always nice when a place actually exceeds your expectations.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:17 AM

383 posts, read 400,262 times
Good for you. I always recommend visiting potential relocation points multiple times before deciding if possible. Reading posts on a forum can provide very good information. However, there are as many opinions as there are people. Always best to visit for an evaluation from your own perspective. Wife and I are in the process of exploring potential retirement locations. Our ideal dream spot would be a nightmare for many.

K

Old 02-06-2017, 07:24 AM

53 posts, read 108,607 times
Default How true !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Take a trip to the delta for awhile.

You can get some great ribs & greens, if you live through it.
RogMar..........
After living in Chicago for many years, I found people bring hatred on them selves.
Who the hell wants to live with Law breakers, drug users, pimps, thieves, illiterates, lazy degenerates.
Just the reason flee big cities !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas