Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 PM

34 posts, read 130,634 times

Advertisements

Interesting Youtube video, "Drive through Jonesboro"

YouTube - Drive through Jonesboro, Arkansas

From the footage, J-Town appears to have a layout that is not much different than other Southern cities in the 45,000-75,000 size range. Reminds me of Victoria, TX or Florence, SC. The video was nicely done. The downtown looks pretty decent. I'm assuming that's the university at the very end (??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
The only part of the school I remember was red brick....lord, that made me sick to my stomach! I felt like I was in a police chase or something!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:04 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
ASU is not near downtown (I didn't watch the video to see if you are referring to something in particular). ASU is at the end of Caraway Rd, right next to the train tracks. A lot of the buildings are a light tan stone color if I remember correctly, although they have done major construction in years past that I have not been around for. It's a very small campus, primarily commuter (as in, people don't live on campus except for a couple dorms, and there isn't must housing around campus either).

Old 10-12-2007, 03:53 PM

53 posts, read 163,305 times
When I was visiting my family last week in Jonesboro, I saw this in the newspaper. Jonesboro is ranked number 74 in the most violent places to live in the US. My brother in law was talking about all the gang violence that is going on and I actually am so glad I'm not raising my daughter there.

Jonesboro Sun (http://www.jonesborosun.com/archived_story.php?ID=29565 - broken link)

Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 11,861 times
I've lived in Jonesboro most of my life, and I attend ASU now. The campus has undergone quite a bit of change in the past few years; but the tan brick is still there. We have a new biosciences building, student union, tons of new housing, a parking garage, etc. There are also many building projects being planned. But I don't recommend anyone come here to go to school. The professors are wonderrful, but the tuition has almost doubled in the past four years (my freshman year my tuition was around $2300 and now it is $4000), and they continure to put in recreational buildings instead of taking down the ones that need it. Budget allocation is a big issue here.

I also don't recommend anyone move here. I used to love my hometown, but it has went downhill. Ten years ago Jonesboro was a safe city; no one worried about rape, murder, or even locking their doors. Now, due to many factors, I am afraid to be in my apartment alone. And I live in a good area! My house has been broken into twice, my car four times, and I have a friend who was attcked leaving work a few weeks ago. The crime rate has skyrocketed here. My mother, who has owned a business here for 23 years, is now selling and leaving because we can't stand it. (Someone actually broke into her vehicles at her house with a cop car in the driveway!)

There are some good things about Jonesboro, but it is getting to the point that the bad outweighs the good. If you have to move to Northeast Arkansas I would move to Brookland or Paragould (and I can't believe I'm saying that!).

Old 10-13-2007, 12:06 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
"rape, murder, or even locking their doors"
I guess we can't call it Jones-Boring anymore...

Old 10-13-2007, 11:20 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
ASU is not near downtown (I didn't watch the video to see if you are referring to something in particular). ASU is at the end of Caraway Rd, right next to the train tracks. A lot of the buildings are a light tan stone color if I remember correctly, although they have done major construction in years past that I have not been around for. It's a very small campus, primarily commuter (as in, people don't live on campus except for a couple dorms, and there isn't must housing around campus either).
Geesh, doesn't sound like you've been to the campus in the last 20 years. It is actually the second largest campus in the state. The Jonesboro campus alone is currently forth in enrollment but the Arkansas State University system has the second largest enrollment in the state.

Another FYI is that Jonesboro is the second largest city in the state based on square milage (behind only Little Rock).

Old 10-15-2007, 07:28 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
Well, it might be the 2nd largest in AR, but it's still very small compared to other major universities throughout the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Geesh, doesn't sound like you've been to the campus in the last 20 years. It is actually the second largest campus in the state. The Jonesboro campus alone is currently forth in enrollment but the Arkansas State University system has the second largest enrollment in the state.

Another FYI is that Jonesboro is the second largest city in the state based on square milage (behind only Little Rock).

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,731 times
Jonesboro is a nice place to live if you just like to watch TV, don't like city life and don't need any culture. This is not a slam, some people like that sort of thing. Although a college town it is NOT a party town at all, sort of sedate. It's true there's not much to do there outside the mall, but that's true of many places, at least there's a Starbucks even if inside of the Target store! Do not believe any claims about Jonesboro being an up and coming place in the conventional sense, it's not. There's nothing to do or see there except the mall, movie theater and a few chain restaurants. I think since it's in a dry county the restaurant selection is limited.

I find Jonesboro unusually expensive for where it is and what it has to offer. I recommend looking for the incredible housing bargains in nearby Bono or a bit further out. No joke, nice houses for $40-75K. The warnings about mosquitoes are totally true, terrible. Crime is unusually high in Jonesboro, drug use (Meth) is a big problem (as it everywhere in Arkansas) and very noisy trains run all over this part of the State. I recommend you stay in a hotel nearby your prospective neighborhood before buying. I live in the small town of Walnut Ridge, AR the steady stream of trains wake me up EVERY night.

On the positive side, the people are very friendly and everyday tasks like getting a driver's license etc are incredibly easy. I guess it comes down to your likes and dislikes.

For me the biggest drawback about NE Arkansas, it's dead ugly. Flat, surrounded by farms, if you have allergies seriously load up on your meds because it's torture.
If you must live in Arkansas, look toward the West or Southern part of the state, or near Memphis, at least you'll have a city nearby to visit and a larger job market while still taking advantage of Arkansas housing.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 AM

102 posts, read 526,686 times
As a former resident of Jonesboro who has lived in a variety of places, I have to respond to the above post. There is more to do in Jonesboro than mentioned above. When we go home to visit, my kids always want to go to the new nature center and Craighead Forest Park for example. Yes, it's not a big party town but it is nice to have a college in the area. The athletic teams offer family fun, the pavillion and pond are a great spot on campus, there is a great museum and library on campus too...many people take advantage of the art sales and flower/plant sales at ASU, the equestrian center offers something different too. There is also a lot offered through the music and drama departments. Check out the Fowler center on campus. These are just a few things off the top of my head. As for crime, every town and city has problems due to drugs and that won't touch most people in the town. If the poster in Walnut Ridge can't find anything to do, I don't think they've looked to hard. I will agree NE Ark is flat but that has blessed the area with the ability to grow cotton, rice, etc. If the whole US only had one terrain, how dull that would be. I thank God for the variety we have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas