Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 PM

161 posts, read 562,652 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for a new place to relocate in about 6 months. I currently live in North Dakota, but I am not happy here. I went to school in southern Missouri, and have a strong desire to return to the general region. Jonesboro has become a place of interest. It seems to be an up and coming city and a place to consider.

I don't drink, so being in a dry county is no big deal. I enjoy simple things like movies, sports, and casual dining. I like getting involved with my church and organizations to help others. I like the idea of having a university for sporting and other events. I work in retail, and would likely just try to transfer. I am planning a trip there next month to check things out.

I just want to ask a few questions and get a better idea if this would be a good move.

First, some have posted comments that people in Jonesboro are rude. I find it hard to believe since everyone I have dealt with from there has been incredibly kind. Does anyone here have an opinion? I am originally from PA, and have lived in MO, NV, CO and ND. I never had a problem in southern Missouri, but this would be the furthest south I have lived. Do you think I will be resented just for being from the north?

Crime...Some say Jonesboro is fairly safe, and others don't. Are there a lot of gangs, murders, etc..? I walk a lot because an eye condition keeps me from driving. Will I be safe? Which parts of the city should I avoid? I would be working in the new mall if I transfer. Is this area okay?

Speaking of walking, is Jonesboro walkable? I don't really mean can you walk from one end of town to another, but do most major streets have sidewalks, and is the city flat or have lots of hills? The fairly new bus system should also be helpful.

It seems that I should not have a problem getting a one bedroom apartment under $550. Is this accurate? Do you have any suggestions for apartments near the new mall?

Finally, since I hope to transfer with my retail job, I was just wondering how the retail job market looks there. I know there is a lot of new development, and from what I read, the unemployment rate is actually down over 1% since last year, which is rare these days.

Hopefully, I have not asked too many questions. Thank you for your help and time in adavnce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:21 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota79 View Post
Hello, I am looking for a new place to relocate in about 6 months. I currently live in North Dakota, but I am not happy here. I went to school in southern Missouri, and have a strong desire to return to the general region. Jonesboro has become a place of interest. It seems to be an up and coming city and a place to consider.

I don't drink, so being in a dry county is no big deal. I enjoy simple things like movies, sports, and casual dining. I like getting involved with my church and organizations to help others. I like the idea of having a university for sporting and other events. I work in retail, and would likely just try to transfer. I am planning a trip there next month to check things out.

I just want to ask a few questions and get a better idea if this would be a good move.

First, some have posted comments that people in Jonesboro are rude. I find it hard to believe since everyone I have dealt with from there has been incredibly kind. Does anyone here have an opinion? I am originally from PA, and have lived in MO, NV, CO and ND. I never had a problem in southern Missouri, but this would be the furthest south I have lived. Do you think I will be resented just for being from the north?

Crime...Some say Jonesboro is fairly safe, and others don't. Are there a lot of gangs, murders, etc..? I walk a lot because an eye condition keeps me from driving. Will I be safe? Which parts of the city should I avoid? I would be working in the new mall if I transfer. Is this area okay?

Speaking of walking, is Jonesboro walkable? I don't really mean can you walk from one end of town to another, but do most major streets have sidewalks, and is the city flat or have lots of hills? The fairly new bus system should also be helpful.

It seems that I should not have a problem getting a one bedroom apartment under $550. Is this accurate? Do you have any suggestions for apartments near the new mall?

Finally, since I hope to transfer with my retail job, I was just wondering how the retail job market looks there. I know there is a lot of new development, and from what I read, the unemployment rate is actually down over 1% since last year, which is rare these days.

Hopefully, I have not asked too many questions. Thank you for your help and time in adavnce.
First, full disclosure.....I left Jonesboro 13 years ago, but I still have connections there, visit and keep up with the goings-on there. So, my thoughts:

1. Rudeness. This can be found anywhere. In the aggregate I can't imagine you'll find that folks there are rude. If you sound like you're from North Dakota (or anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon), plan on some joking comments about your accent or about being a "yankee." Generally, it's in good fun. It seems half of the folks in Arkansas have family in Michigan, anyway.

2. Those who say that Jonesboro isn't safe haven't gotten around much. No doubt the town has its drug issues, but it terms of violent crime, the rate is negligible. North Jonesboro appears the most downtrodden. I wouldn't recommend "Apartment City" north of the ASU campus either.

3. I would never consider Jonesboro a "walking-friendly" city. Many residential streets lack sidewalks. Along the major thoroughfares they may have become more common as improvements have been made. The topography is a mixture of the flat Arkansas Delta with the rolling hills of Crowley's Ridge.

4. I would think that you should be able to find an apartment in that range, but I'll leave it to the locals to recommend apartments near The Mall at Turtle Creek.

5. Jonesboro always seems to have a thriving retail sector. I would think that this wouldn't be a problem either, although I must defer to the locals.

6. Buy a bug zapper and plenty of Off for the summers. Enjoy!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the information you provided.

Okay, it sounds like the area around Johnson St is not very good. Of course, that is where a lot of apartments seem to be, since it is close to the ASU campus. What is so bad about that area? Will I be robbed or stabbed in that area, or is it just not as nice and a bit wild because of the college?

What apartments outside of the Johnson St area would you recommend. I have checked out "The Links", which looks nice? Can anyone tell me about other apartments that are on the mall side of the highway?

I am just curious...The population of Jonesboro has doubled in the past 25 years. What seems to be the big draw? Is it the weather? Is it the jobs? Is it where a lot of people retire? Is it lots of babies? Do most people move there from within the region, or are people moving there from all over the country?

In Fargo, ND, where I live, the population continues to grow,, but it is mostly a regional draw from small towns in ND and neighboring states.

I was just wondering. Thanks in adavnce.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:40 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information you provided.

Okay, it sounds like the area around Johnson St is not very good. Of course, that is where a lot of apartments seem to be, since it is close to the ASU campus. What is so bad about that area? Will I be robbed or stabbed in that area, or is it just not as nice and a bit wild because of the college?

What apartments outside of the Johnson St area would you recommend. I have checked out "The Links", which looks nice? Can anyone tell me about other apartments that are on the mall side of the highway?

I am just curious...The population of Jonesboro has doubled in the past 25 years. What seems to be the big draw? Is it the weather? Is it the jobs? Is it where a lot of people retire? Is it lots of babies? Do most people move there from within the region, or are people moving there from all over the country?

In Fargo, ND, where I live, the population continues to grow,, but it is mostly a regional draw from small towns in ND and neighboring states.

I was just wondering. Thanks in adavnce.
The apartments north of campus, I recall, are a mixture of students and, quite frankly, trashy people. We're not talking Watts or Cabrini Green here, but ghetto by Jonesboro standards.

Jonesboro's population growth is a bit deceiving. No doubt there has been organic growth, but much of the increase in the population number can be attributed to annexation of surrounding unincorporated areas. That said, Jonesboro is a draw for the entire Northeast Arkansas region for shopping, education and health care.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:10 PM

28 posts, read 63,773 times
dakota, the really best way to find what you want in the area, is to ask fellow employees in the area and check it out yourself. Only you know what you will accept, the area around Turtle Creek is commercial and residentual and a nice area. There will be pockets of not so nice neighborhoods but if you take the job there, find a place to stay while looking for the right place. Walking in Jonesboro is a chore, not to many sidewalks, streets widened to accomadate the traffic, just walk on the left facing the traffic so you can move over when traffic approaches. I think Jonesboro is a medical center service city to all of north east AR along with a university that accounts for the growth, has some factories and its a large farming area but most farms use much fewer laborers than equipment. I think its a really nice growing city with shops that supplies almost anything needed. Lots of retiree's, students, workers, hockey moms, doctors, nurses, bank workers, hookers, thieves and addicts. The last are no more than any other city, are out and about but not bothersome to most folks out in the daylight. Don't leave your place unlocked or your stuff out and you will probably be as safe there than any other city in NE AR. Bobby

Old 10-12-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks for explaining some of the growth numbers. Annexation can really make a difference.

The two main streets that I would probably be walking along are Highlands and Stadium since they are near the mall. Do those streets have sidewalks?

Old 10-18-2008, 07:38 PM

19 posts, read 60,685 times
My mother lives on highland. I think they have recently added sidewalks on Highland and Staduim. I would not recommend walking them though. Traffic is HORRIBLE!! The city is growing to quick to keep up with itself in traffic problems. It was bad before the new mall. It is worse now.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,657 times
Quote:

I've lived and worked in Jonesboro since the mid-70's. Before that I lived in much smaller and much bigger cities in various parts of the U.S., all of them much better politically and economically. Greed is the only driving force behind every facet of the business community. Taxes are hyper-inflated here. Whenever possible wages are at or below minimum wage guidelines while everything is over-priced and I have yet to find a tradesman who does not price gouge in one way or another, usually by going shopping while on the clock, instead of coming to work prepared. The medical community has divided itself into two opposing teams which work together badly, if at all, and their policies are never to the patients' advantage, only their profit margins. I've worked with some who openly admit that they are in the medical profession strictly for the money, and their goal is to put all patients in the same "customer" category as Wal-Mart does, with no consideration whatsoever to refunding one's money if not completely satisfied as does Wal-Mart. All I've dealt with gossip about their patients. They and their staff not only lie to their patients, they make jokes and rude comments about them where everyone in the exam and waiting rooms can hear. I've never encountered so many supposedly educated people with less humanity. This is not my solo opinion. Anyone I've known from other places has remarked on the inflated prices (especially homes and rental properties), and how there is such a diminutive middle class, with most of the population being very poor or very rich. Mostly poor. Jonesboro is in Craighead County and, yes, the people have continued to vote it dry while crooked politicians continue to sell liquor licenses to anyone with the money and anything that remotely resembles a "private club" in this city. The bulk of the crime is kept covered by the powers that be, with those running the newspaper bragging about reporting only what the citizens "need" to know. At least one serial rapist has gone unchecked for years at ASU before so many were talking about it that it had to be reported. Only after that was he caught. One off-duty policewoman was almost raped when one of the hundreds of illegal aliens crawled through her window one night. The drugs are manufactured and distributed freely and openly. Google the sex offenders map for Jonesboro. It barely scratches the surface of the scum living in every neighborhood here. I'm here to care for aging parents who don't want to leave their life-long home and hope, for that reason, to be here many more years, but Jonesboro is not the place I'd choose to be otherwise. Good luck with your move and with finding your niche in Jonesboro if you've decided to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas