Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 41,134 times

Advertisements

We have purchased land in Diamond City. We used plat maps and satalite pictures and Diamond City website to check befor buying. Can anyone tell us more about the area. We are interested in building on the land. We live in Arizona now, in the valley of the sun. Looking forward to a four season change.

Thank you in advance,
Richard and Jackie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2006, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,473 times
Thumbs up Diamond City , Arkansas

I also am trying to find iformation on Diamond City , I live in Nebraska and am contemplating the purchase of a lot their for retirement ... I would like to know a few things myself ... as far as How's the fishing ? Is their a lumberyard in town ? Is their a grocery store ? What's the people's attitude like toward's out siders ? Are their basements under the homes or is it to rockey to dig one in ??????::
I know it's a small town of around 700+ people ... If you have any information and can hand it down to me , It will be appreciated ... THANK'S

Old 10-30-2006, 11:14 AM

6 posts, read 25,054 times
Default Diamond City area

My husband and I were in the Murfreesboro area this past weekend. We found a house we'd love to purchase but the area seems so depressed. There is a very tiny hospital there but we were told at the moment there were no doctors now but they should be getting one soon.

We traveled through Nashville, AR, at night and it looked like more of a real town. We only saw one grocery store in Murfreesboro and it was a small one. The people we came in contact with were very nice and Hot Springs is about an hour and a half away if you really need something. We asked about Lake Greeson and the person wasn't really enthusiastic about it. Said better fishing was at Millwood. There is the diamond mine and once a year there is also a dig at the Indian site for artifact and arrowheads.

We really loved the house and the beautiful trees and wildlife but are trying to decide if we want to do more than just hermit in our retirement years. We like to canoe and were told this area wasn't so great for it.

If some of these things were different, we'd have made an offer on the house already.

Would like anyone else's imput that may help in our decision.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:02 PM

6 posts, read 25,054 times
Unhappy Diamond City - My MISTAKE

I'm so sorry! I had the Diamond City you're referring to near Murfreesboro and the Diamond mine. I don't know anything about Diamond City by Bull Shoals. SORRY

Old 10-31-2006, 08:28 PM

13 posts, read 70,643 times
Arrow 2nd that request 4 info on Diamond City!

Hello all,
I would like to learn more about Diamond City, too. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanx!
Yvette

Old 11-23-2006, 08:20 AM

44 posts, read 209,435 times
Hi folks, I can give you a little insight on Diamond City.

The town is surrounded on three sides by Bull Shoals Lake, a fabulous Corps of Engineers empoundment with 1000 miles of shoreline. The lake is the towns calling card. Fishing is good to great and somewhat seasonal with bass, crappie and walleye being the most soughtafter.

Jobs in DC are non-existant, at least nothing you'd want. Most of the entire population are retirees from all over the country. You'll find no North-South bias here.

There are a couple of pizza joints, two restaurants, four decent to nice motels, fire and abulance service, post office, marina and campground. Summers, it's the greatest place in the world, winter can be downright depressing.

The clostest place to shop is Harrison, AR., a town of 12,000 with most everything you'd need, OR, Branson Missouri with shopping, fine restaurants, shows, etc. Branson is also the closest place to buy liquor, as all of Boone county is dry, although, on Nov 7th, Marioin County voted to go wet so I suspect that soon adult beverages will be available very close by.

There is a definate housing boom in the county and DC in particular. After years of stagnation, Diamond City is really ripe for new businesses and developement. In particular, the town needs restaurants, motels, boat and RV storage, a C-store, and a dollar store.

Taxes are CHEAP, gas is lower than the national average, and everyone that lives here will tell you they love it. The older crowd is extremely resistant to change, but there's a lot of new blood coming into town, and there's a feeling that things are about to take off.

July and August are HOT. January and February are COLD. Bugs are not an issue. The land can be steep, lending itsself to homes with basements. Digging basements and pools are more difficult than digging in say, Nebraska, but they do it all the time. Typical new homes run $65-$75 per foot, really deluxe home can approach $100 per foot. There are plenty of well qualified builders in the area that can build anything you want.

I run the marina here, which is the heart of the community, so if you have any other questions, feel free to email me at sbernard@alltel.net

Thanks, Steve

Old 01-11-2007, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 54,587 times
I run the marina here, which is the heart of the community, so if you have any other questions, feel free to email me at sbernard@alltel.net

Thanks, Steve[/quote]

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 01-14-2007 at 02:16 AM..

Old 07-13-2007, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,439 times
Love the info on Diamond City. My 44 yr old son and I are teaming up to move there as soon as my sm prop. here in CO sells. I just hope it sells quickly while there are still deals to be found. It sounds like the paradise I'v always dreamed of but could never afford. I do have a question tho. When I tell people my plans, they all talk about the humidity being unbearable. I like heat, so I'v not been overly concerned, but Is it really that bad? Do clothes and bedding stay damp? Does everything mildew?

Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 AM

50 posts, read 317,543 times
Default humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terimcqn View Post
Love the info on Diamond City. My 44 yr old son and I are teaming up to move there as soon as my sm prop. here in CO sells. I just hope it sells quickly while there are still deals to be found. It sounds like the paradise I'v always dreamed of but could never afford. I do have a question tho. When I tell people my plans, they all talk about the humidity being unbearable. I like heat, so I'v not been overly concerned, but Is it really that bad? Do clothes and bedding stay damp? Does everything mildew?
I grew up just a few miles from Diamond City in Lead Hill. I guess when I was growing up in the humidity I never questioned it, that was just life and weather as I knew it. But vacationing as an adult in Colorado and then moving there eventually (Salida) brought a different point of view. I could breathe in the mountains and even felt energized. Eventually I questioned how I even survived in the Arkansas humidity (a bit dramatic I know). But the humidity really does zap you (or it did me). And the winter cold, with humidity, goes right to the bone, whereas in the Springs or Salida it doesn't. Air conditioning will help in the summer of course but it will definitely be an adjustment after living in CO. As I've gotten older I do realize that the weather of the region I live in is not my top priority, though I'm still in low humidity Utah. But yes, mildew can be a problem. You'll possibly want to invest in a dehumidifier to help with mildew and comfort. Spring and fall are wonderful there but June-September can be miserable. I'd recommend a visit--August and January would be real testing times for you. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:31 AM

44 posts, read 209,435 times
I've lived here most all my life. True the heat and or humidity can 'zap' you, but I've never heard of problems with mildew. Stuff doesn't just stay wet on it's own, you have to sweat on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas