Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 12:04 PM

18 posts, read 46,511 times

Advertisements

Interested in possibly moving myself and antiques shop to Eureka Springs area. This shop has been at a downtown address for fifteen years here in Illinois and I'm ready to drop from six days down to more of a "by chance" shop.
I am looking for a place off a busy (tourist traveled) highway outside of town. Highway frontage not necessary, but would need to have access for signage to draw visitors in. Can anyone say which highway I should try to look at, what side of town?
A fixer upper would be great. I'm looking for either a small home with garage for vehicles and an additional barn or shed for shop, or a larger home for living and shop combined with a garage for vehicles. A yard would be nice, but not too much mowing.
Any suggestions? There are realtors galore online, but they are all trying to sell $$$$$ places. I am looking for somewhere around $100,000 if possible. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 PM

112 posts, read 296,769 times
I'm not sure what the current commercial property prices are in Eureka. I'm familiar enough with the town (have been visiting all my life, several times a year) to tell you where to look, though.

Anything around where 23 and 62 intersect, those are very busy areas. 62 going either way is heavily trafficked, but it seems that the east side of 62 is more dense with commercial properties. As well as up Spring Street, if you're wanting something small that opens up right on the pedestrian flow areas, catching the flow of traffic through the main part of the old town.

How familiar are you with Eureka? Just assuming you've been here before? If you have, then you know that there are lots of restaurants and motels and shops on 62, and that the biggest draw are all the small shops and food joints/restaurants/eateries going up the winding hill on Spring Street, but that the density of shops kind of peters out the further up Spring you go, and there may be some storefronts that are not quite as expensive. Continuing down on Main Street, there are still plenty of places to look at, and might be worth considering, as these are nice areas to take a drive to see the trees or visit the springs or head up to the Passion Play via Magnetic Drive. Past the train depot on the north side, there's not much else.

Hope that helps. I really wish you luck - Eureka is very charming and I always enjoy going up and seeing what kinds of things are in the shops. I've found some really unique things in stores there, and talked to some really interesting people running those stores. There's always something to see and experience there, and it's very diverse, which is one of the main reasons I love it.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear, I was thinking abour driving traffic as opposed to walking traffic. I have had retail for years where you HAVE to be here all the time, and I am burnt out. I was hoping to pull tourists in off of the road to shop. That way I can use a flag or a sign to show that I am OPEN only when it is up. The idea behind living and working in one location as opposed to what I am doing now is... one phone bill, one Internet connection, one insurance bill, one bill from utility companies, one mortgage payment, one place to clean... right now I do two of everything. Trust me, it is a lot to take care of! I'd like to be able to enjoy Eureka Springs too!

So, I need to be on a highway but NOT in an ugly commercial district. I'm thinking 2-3 miles out, in the hills, under some shade trees... Any more suggestions? Which highway and which side of town would more travelers come in and go out on?

Old 06-02-2010, 04:08 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times
Hwy. 62. If I were you, I'd come on down and check it out. It's all a nice area, & good for antiques. This is probably a good time to start a business in this area before everything comes roaring back.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times
I notice your business is called Wonderland Antiques. There's a Wonderland Cave in Bella Vista. http://www.bellavistaarkansas.org/Wonderland_Cave.html I think somebody should reopen the nightclub. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderlandntks1 View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear, I was thinking abour driving traffic as opposed to walking traffic. I have had retail for years where you HAVE to be here all the time, and I am burnt out. I was hoping to pull tourists in off of the road to shop. That way I can use a flag or a sign to show that I am OPEN only when it is up. The idea behind living and working in one location as opposed to what I am doing now is... one phone bill, one Internet connection, one insurance bill, one bill from utility companies, one mortgage payment, one place to clean... right now I do two of everything. Trust me, it is a lot to take care of! I'd like to be able to enjoy Eureka Springs too!

So, I need to be on a highway but NOT in an ugly commercial district. I'm thinking 2-3 miles out, in the hills, under some shade trees... Any more suggestions? Which highway and which side of town would more travelers come in and go out on?

Last edited by bluenoter; 06-02-2010 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Hwy. 62. If I were you, I'd come on down and check it out. It's all a nice area, & good for antiques. This is probably a good time to start a business in this area before everything comes roaring back.
We are coming to the area in late June for UARK orientation. Hopeflly that will clear up some things. Thanks for the tips!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM

112 posts, read 296,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderlandntks1 View Post

Well, you're welcome, glad I could help... or not...

As I said above in my post, Highways 62 and 23. If you look on Google Maps, you can easily see where most of everything is, outside of the old district, and that is mostly in a string on one highway, going in two directions. If for some reason you think Highway 62 is a pedestrian zone just because the town is so small, you'll see when you get here. Walking on 62 is hazardous to your health. If you want to be 2 or 3 miles out, that's doable. There are properties hither and thither outside the town that might be worth looking into.

Good luck.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 PM

697 posts, read 1,775,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalType View Post
Walking on 62 is hazardous to your health.
Good luck.
It'd make a good extreme sport. No shoulders or sidewalks with constant curves and limited visibility.... It could be interesting.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalType View Post
Well, you're welcome, glad I could help... or not...

As I said above in my post, Highways 62 and 23. If you look on Google Maps, you can easily see where most of everything is, outside of the old district, and that is mostly in a string on one highway, going in two directions. If for some reason you think Highway 62 is a pedestrian zone just because the town is so small, you'll see when you get here. Walking on 62 is hazardous to your health. If you want to be 2 or 3 miles out, that's doable. There are properties hither and thither outside the town that might be worth looking into.

Good luck.
No, I'm thinking vehicles not pedestrians, I have been open six days a week forever and if I had a place downtown, I'd still have to ddo that. I want to draw in tourists when I want to be open (with a flag or sign). I will be there in about a week and have found a nice RE agent to work with. Thanks to all of you who have been so helpful.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 PM

46 posts, read 140,380 times
What is there to do in Eureka S? I am into scenery and wildlife==not into hiking. Is it safe there in your house at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas