Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 PM

33 posts, read 72,282 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that Japan is losing population. Is the government doing anything to stop this trend?

Why is it happening? Could it be the long term effects of the Atom bomb or the Fukushima disaster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
No, it was not due to nuclear incidents. The more a country develops, the lower the birth rate. Every country in the world that has an HDI index of at least 0.850 has a birthrate either around or below replacement level. Every, or most, countries in the world listed under medium or low human development usually have the highest birth rates. Japan is simply experiencing the consequence of being the 12th most developed country in the world. No, the government does not need to do anything to stop the trend. If anything, Japan needs less people, not more.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,029 times
japan has 160 million people....i think a decline in birthrate would be a good thing...people sleep in cubicles there for god's sake because there isnt any room

Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman123 View Post
I have noticed that Japan is losing population. Is the government doing anything to stop this trend?

Why is it happening? Could it be the long term effects of the Atom bomb or the Fukushima disaster?
A declining population is actually a good thing. Actually, it's a great thing.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Japan has 127 million people (very high, but not quite 160) on a very small and compact island. The first half of this century is going to have many countries turn VERY gray, with Japan being one of the most gray. A lot of people want to comment on whether or not this is a good or bad thing, but we really don't even know the ramifications of a change like this in society because it has never happened before. It could lead to an economic collapse because of the less demand that an age structure like that would produce. It could lead to great prosperity because there would be less people to share resources. We just don't know! Japan has been pretty stagnant though for many many years now. If this is an indication of what happens when society ages and declines then it doesn't look to bright.

If they wanted to, they could fix the problem relatively easily. Japan has a high standard of living and I am sure would have no problem attracting immigrants to fill in the demographic losses. There next door neighbor has over a billion people that would probably move to Japan in the blink of an eye if they weren't so strict about immigration.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
I'm going to say it'll lead to great prosperity. More housing and land available, etc. Especially with all the infrastructure in place. Seems ideal to me. Less cars, etc.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 PM

385 posts, read 859,238 times
I'm just going to say it is most likely because of things like 3/11/2011

Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 PM

1,946 posts, read 2,565,358 times
Japan has been contaminated by nuclear accident.
Drinking water bottles are bought.
It takes a lot of money.
Has been contaminated soil.
A large number of cesium in the seabed is sinking.
(30-year half-life of cesium)

Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Japan's population is shrinking because of a number of factors, so says my Japanese wife.

Firstly, it is because life is EXPENSIVE. Wages have been stagnant for the past ten years, and lifetime employment isn't guaranteed anymore. "Furitasu" aka Freiters (a combination of frei from German meaning "free" or "liberated" and "ters" which is English suffix meaning "people who do something" like "skaters" and other "ers") are the new norm.

I know a few Japanese women via my wife, and only one of them has had a baby, and they're all between 27 and 32.

This ties into the human development index. Since Japan has a very advanced infrastructure, which needs constant maintenance, expansion, and reinvestment, combined with a mature industrial base where competition isn't as fierce, the need for young blood isn't as high anymore.

Secondly, it's societal. Many women are waking up to the fact that most men are "normal" or "nerdy." To be fair, the male counterparts haven't been very flexible in allowing their wives freedom in exploring their potential and stick to traditional family structures (aka wife stays home and raises kids and takes care of the house while the man works). Women are allowed to work in all the positions men do, but as soon as the woman has a kid ... BANG! Their career is dead. I've heard it again and again. The woman has a kid, and she's dead in the water when returning.

What's a woman to do? She either chooses a career without a child, or getting married, having kids, and then stopping working or if she does work, she's actively discriminated against.

My wife worked for a Japanese company's branch in the US, with a Japanese boss, and spoke Japanese at work, so it was like being back home for her. When she announced she would be quitting, her boss gave her a gift. Want to guess what it was?

An apron.

Look no further to how Japanese men are literally ruining their chances of having kids than this.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
It is not great, there are less and less young workers. There have been talks about making VISAs easier to get for uneducated immigrants to work in the factories.

Also, Japan will actually pay you money to have 3 + kids. Schools are constantly closing down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia