Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 02:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,673,383 times

Advertisements

SALT LAKE CITY —
The first night in the United States for a family of Japanese tourists ended with the parents being pulled from their rental car at gunpoint with their young son watching after their confusion about American traffic laws set off a high-speed pursuit in southern Utah.

The pursuit began at 1 a.m. Saturday on Interstate 15 near the Utah-Arizona border when the couple’s car was spotted going just 37 mph (60 kph) and swerving between lanes, said Lt. Brad Horne, Utah Highway Patrol’s DUI unit commander.

Confused Japanese tourists trigger highway pursuit in Utah ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,844,741 times
Why was the car swerving between lanes in the first place? I think they were pretty sure that they were being chased, I mean she was like running away from them! I don't think you can totally explain it away by cultural differences. Still, typical American cops pulling out the guns, I guess it's a dangerous place where anyone could be carrying a gun. Well glad everyone is okay and the family probably learned a good lesson. Would be pretty scary for the kid but I'm sure he'll have a story to tell in the future!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,265,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SALT LAKE CITY —
The first night in the United States for a family of Japanese tourists ended with the parents being pulled from their rental car at gunpoint with their young son watching after their confusion about American traffic laws set off a high-speed pursuit in southern Utah.

The pursuit began at 1 a.m. Saturday on Interstate 15 near the Utah-Arizona border when the couple’s car was spotted going just 37 mph (60 kph) and swerving between lanes, said Lt. Brad Horne, Utah Highway Patrol’s DUI unit commander.

Confused Japanese tourists trigger highway pursuit in Utah ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion
I'm assuming they just panicked, and didn't know what to do. Quickly escalated from there.

I think that's how a small portion of these incidents occur anyways. The fact that they didn't have legal licenses either, is a bit strange. Don't they need those to rent a car in the first place?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,377,484 times
Jeez. For the fail, USA, for not converting to metric a looooong time ago. Nope. gotta hang with the likes of third rate countries by hanging onto the imperial system

But still, the cops were just doing their job. And they made the right call by putting away the guns and getting a cop who spoke Japanese to explain what was going on, and then put them up in a motel. Kudos to the fine men and women of the patrol!

And ... I also agree with the cops that red and blue and sirens are pretty universal signals to pull over. Those would be the most clueless tourists I've ever heard of.

Though, marginally understandable. In Japan, cop cars ALWAYS have their lights on (and are only red lights too). So the Japanese people would be confused why the cops were following them, especially if they thought they weren't doing anything wrong. In Japan, a cop car following you with its lights on is NORMAL and you don't do anything different unless they yell at your with their loud horns or sirens. Cultural barrier for sure ... lights in Japan are meaningless.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:21 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,844,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Jeez. For the fail, USA, for not converting to metric a looooong time ago. Nope. gotta hang with the likes of third rate countries by hanging onto the imperial system

But still, the cops were just doing their job. And they made the right call by putting away the guns and getting a cop who spoke Japanese to explain what was going on, and then put them up in a motel. Kudos to the fine men and women of the patrol!

And ... I also agree with the cops that red and blue and sirens are pretty universal signals to pull over. Those would be the most clueless tourists I've ever heard of.

Though, marginally understandable. In Japan, cop cars ALWAYS have their lights on (and are only red lights too). So the Japanese people would be confused why the cops were following them, especially if they thought they weren't doing anything wrong. In Japan, a cop car following you with its lights on is NORMAL and you don't do anything different unless they yell at your with their loud horns or sirens. Cultural barrier for sure ... lights in Japan are meaningless.
But do they have their sirens on too? Then how do cops pull over people in Japan?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,265,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
But do they have their sirens on too? Then how do cops pull over people in Japan?

2x Police car Tokyo Police [pursuit camera] - YouTube

Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM

451 posts, read 1,326,911 times
Just last week in Southern California there was a 19 year old college student from China who led police on a police chase because he did not pull over. He was driving in speeds up to 120 mph. He was driving a newer model BMW owned by one of his family members. Then police did a pit manuever to end the chase. Then the police had guns drawn and drag him out of the car. The student did stated he was sacred and did not know why the police were chasing him. I wonder if I believe this student or is this some cultural misunderstanding?

See:
18-Year-Old Student Allegedly Leads Police on High-Speed Chase in BMW | NBC Southern California

Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,843,002 times
Asians bad at driving, nothing new.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:48 PM

451 posts, read 1,326,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Asians bad at driving, nothing new.
Oh, don't go there. Yes, there are plenty of bad Asian drivers, but I also know plenty of good Asian drivers. I don't think Asians have the monopoly on bad driving. I've observed plenty of bad drivers who are white, black, Latino, etc. And I've observed also good ones.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 PM

571 posts, read 1,320,893 times
In Japan, they drive on the other side of the street as in England. That would be another factor in their confusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia