Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:10 AM

653 posts, read 743,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not that aware of the differences, but curious if others are. I loved Hong Kong filmes like Chungking Express. Always liked the Jackie Chan movies set in fuedal China - but always assumed that was filmed in Hong Kong?

Curious if and how they are similar or different. Wondering if HK still dominates with film, or if Beijing/Shanghai is surpassing it or not. On that note, does Macau have any film industry, or any famous films to note?

Might be an interesting discussion in general.
I think mainland China has to deal with far more censorship; that said, due to lower operating costs and lots of land, they can film those "historical epics" like Red Cliff and such, with thousands of calefares, extras and horses and such. I also feel that films there tend to be far more nationalistic .

I think controversial films are more acceptable in Hong Kong, where authorities can be criticized.

one thing I have never been able to verify is that the film industry in Hong Kong has triad influence; that has been widely said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not that aware of the differences, but curious if others are. I loved Hong Kong filmes like Chungking Express. Always liked the Jackie Chan movies set in fuedal China - but always assumed that was filmed in Hong Kong?

Curious if and how they are similar or different. Wondering if HK still dominates with film, or if Beijing/Shanghai is surpassing it or not. On that note, does Macau have any film industry, or any famous films to note?

Might be an interesting discussion in general.
Oh, once upon a time, HK movies dominated China, because HK movie industry was at its peak and China's doesn't have so much of an entertainment industry.

Gosh, things change so fast before you know it. Since the turn of the century, all the entertainment options blossomed in various parts of China, movies, music, TV shows, the "celebrity culture" all developed rapidly while HK's went down hill for at least 15 years.

In the 1980/1990s, young Chinese probably watch a good 90% of movies from HK, now probably 10%. So the answer is, no, HK movies don't dominate any more. The Chinese still watch HK movies/TV series from time to time, but hardly as the most important source.

By the way, neither is of top quality. HK movies/TV shows seem so predictable, and you see the same story lines and even the same actors repeatedly (it has a small talent pool, so one actor may appear in 8 of the 15 shows you watch). China's movies/TV series are still of bad quality in general (there are some excellent ones, but once in a few years), and tend to be shallow, cheesy and extremely slow-paced (for TV). I can't stand it.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:46 PM

294 posts, read 476,174 times
I've managed to work my way through a handful of Chinese TV shows that had Wuxia elements, but most are pretty awful. I think Hong Kong films still have quite a bit more edge though that's changing slightly now.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Oh, once upon a time, HK movies dominated China, because HK movie industry was at its peak and China's doesn't have so much of an entertainment industry.

Gosh, things change so fast before you know it. Since the turn of the century, all the entertainment options blossomed in various parts of China, movies, music, TV shows, the "celebrity culture" all developed rapidly while HK's went down hill for at least 15 years.

In the 1980/1990s, young Chinese probably watch a good 90% of movies from HK, now probably 10%. So the answer is, no, HK movies don't dominate any more. The Chinese still watch HK movies/TV series from time to time, but hardly as the most important source.

By the way, neither is of top quality. HK movies/TV shows seem so predictable, and you see the same story lines and even the same actors repeatedly (it has a small talent pool, so one actor may appear in 8 of the 15 shows you watch). China's movies/TV series are still of bad quality in general (there are some excellent ones, but once in a few years), and tend to be shallow, cheesy and extremely slow-paced (for TV). I can't stand it.
I think the issue is one of inexperience when it comes to script-writing; another problem is that China's movies and TV series, like those of Bollywood, have little appeal outside of the own countries; they basically exists in a universe unto itself, whereas the top Hollywood films have global appeal; I do follow and watch China's latest movies but I am one of the rare few among my circles to do so.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times
Hong kong cinema is dead. It died around the mid to late 90's after the golden age. Chinese films aren't really that interesting.

Once Donnie Yen retires, I don't see anyone filling his shoes.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Hong kong cinema is dead. It died around the mid to late 90's after the golden age. Chinese films aren't really that interesting.

Once Donnie Yen retires, I don't see anyone filling his shoes.
I think Hong Kong films can't really match up to Hollywood Blockbusters; the budget is simply not there and even if the budget is there; the global audience is simply not there.

But I think Hong Kong's film industry can still survive via niche offerings; it still has a lot of artistic and creative freedom; for example, Hong Kong can make a movie about the Cultural Revolution, something not would not be allowed in mainland China.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:03 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
for example, Hong Kong can make a movie about the Cultural Revolution, something not would not be allowed in mainland China.
Then it would be banned in mainland China and thus have poor economic gain.

Moreover, the director and actors could be banned by China government, and there will be no way for them to make money in China in the future.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 AM

149 posts, read 197,961 times
Lightbulb Chinas' big screen film industry is booming

Yes, BOOMING . The infrastructure takes time to mature. Films only take a few weeks to actually record the actors scenes, while pre & post production times are in years. Hollywood has been around LA for 100 years building studios and all the financial & craft infrastructures to run them for the film production companies.
My mom graduated Hollywood High School & I have been around the industry for over 60 years. I've traveled thorough China & seen widespread studio lots, sets & the beginning of industry. The audience is China with it's few big screen theaters with unlimited demand - it IS growing.
The censorship dilemma will fix itself through the demise of a multitude of small production companies - trial & error.
For the time being ya just gotta love those EPICS

Old 08-01-2015, 09:20 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Then it would be banned in mainland China and thus have poor economic gain.

Moreover, the director and actors could be banned by China government, and there will be no way for them to make money in China in the future.
Oh yes. That's totally something to brag about.

Quote:
But I think Hong Kong's film industry can still survive via niche offerings; it still has a lot of artistic and creative freedom; for example, Hong Kong can make a movie about the Cultural Revolution, something not would not be allowed in mainland China.
There are already films about Cultural Revolution, such as To Live, 100% Chinese production, and is really good.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:16 AM

440 posts, read 661,886 times
Wuxia stories were written mostly by HK authors, movies promoted it from HK to Mainland China.

It is interesting to watch Chinese movies and televisions of historic settings. Each dynasty has different fashion, clothings and hairstyles.

The film industries of the two are intergrating. We can see Mainland Chinese, HK and Taiwanese actors and actresses in the same movie, filmed in HK and or Mainland China.

In Mainland China, for a mainland chinese who have never been to HK and Taiwan, and do not know any person from the 2 places, they usually first think of the movies and or the actors and actresses when asked about HK. Other than these, they do not know much about HK. Some did not know HK people speak mainly Cantonese as they see them speaking in Mandarin when appearing on the movies and televisions in Mainland China, because HK movies and televisions are dubbed in Mandarin in Mainland China except in Guangdong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia