Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I disagree. Having visited Chinese temples where you see Chinese people praying, bowing down and lighting incense sticks, one realizes that the Chinese people are very spiritual.
Most Chinese who go to temples are not firm believers. Praying in temples is merely making wishes.

I'd say more than 90% Chinese are atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Big question!!! What are they praying for?

A new Mercedes, BMW?
Good luck, health, money, etc. Anything that could be on your wish list.

Nobody cares what the Buddha doctrines are talking about. People just throw money (donation to the temples), in hope that God will give something in return.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Good luck, health, money, etc. Anything that could be on your wish list.

Nobody cares what the Buddha doctrines are talking about. People just throw money (donation to the temples), in hope that God will give something in return.
Exactly. I wonder how devout the people in Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia are as well.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Exactly. I wonder how devout the people in Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia are as well.
Not sure, but I've heard that they take Buddhism more seriously.

In China, temples run like business. Many people fail to note that China has experienced dramatic change in 20th century. The only thing Chinese believe in is cold hard cash.

A typical Christian is supposed to read the Bible, follow what God asks you to do, go to church regularly and possibly try to establish a deeper personal relationship with God.

What if a Christian only goes to church once or twice a year, throwing 50 bucks and praying for God in hope that he/she will get a well-paid job to afford more luxurious lifestyle? Do you still consider he/she to be religious?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
When I was in India, being an astrology buff, I was excited to see in the Marriage Partner Wanted column, people requesting astrological info on their potential mates, and I view astrology more as a spiritual outlet for me.

Come to find out, many, if not most, are seeking someone with the potential for making money, someone loyal and faithful!

I'm sure it's no different in other parts of Asia! A perversion of spirituality!

Last edited by tijlover; 03-27-2013 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: add words

Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I was in India, being an astrology buff, I was excited to see in the Marriage Partner Wanted column, people requesting astrological info on their potential mates, and I view astrology more as a spiritual outlet for me.

Come to find out, many, if not most, are seeking someone with the potential for making money, someone loyal and faithful!

I'm sure it's no different in other parts of Asia! A perversion of spirituality!
This does not surprise me one little bit. For all that is preached against materialism, people still have to live in this world, and they want to live well.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I can only speak to the mix of Buddhism/Chinese Traditional Beliefs.

I disagree. I just think that Buddhism is just not as demonstrative as Hinduism or Christian/Jewish/Muslim. Both Buddhism and Chinese Traditional Religion are closer to a life philosophy than an organized religion. This makes them integrate better into daily life. Chinese Buddhists don't necessarily go to Temple/Church on some arbitrary day (save around holiday periods), avoid eating arbitrary foods, or have to wear/not wear funny clothes, but they will arrange furniture or avoid activities at certain times of the day according to their beliefs. Most of these practices trace back to practical (if sometimes wrong or at least not scientifically-proven) ideas about what is healthy for a person. Other religions seem to stand much more on arbitrary ceremony, where most aspects of Buddhism/Chinese Traditional Religion have a utilitarian motive.

Some Chinese, who are not visibly religious, will still pray to a Buddha several times a day, when they need help, when they see someone in need of help, or other times they feel it appropriate. I've seen not-particularly-strict Buddhists who silently pray for roadkill, in an almost unnoticable fashion. If a Christian bowed their head and prayed aloud for every dead animal they passed, or rearranged their furniture, or chose where to sit at a table due to "God's Will" one would think they were rather extreme. Now maybe there are such Christians around, and we just don't notice them. Because Buddhism frowns on excessive display of "religiosity" the lack of an evangelical component makes them seem less religious, when they actually may be--on the whole--moreso.
Arranging furniture and all those stuff have got nothing to do with Buddhism. More like Feng Shui (Chinese geomancy) and traditional philosophy. Original Buddhism doesn't teach praying to Buddha, etc. The 'Buddhism' practised by most Chinese today has been adulterated by folk beliefs and traditions, like Taoist and Confucian teachings. Though Buddhist schools void of Taoist influences do exist and continue to command an influence in China, like the Pure Land/Chan (Zen) school of thought. Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism have been influencing each other for thousands of years since their founding/arrival in China. The 'Buddhist' temples you see with many Chinese deities as well as the Buddhist bodhisattvas are most probably a Taoist temple which has incorporated Buddhist figures and elevated them to deity-hood - which is a common scene in Chinese temples.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
The 'Buddhism' practised by most Chinese today has been adulterated by folk beliefs and traditions, like Taoist and Confucian teachings.
Exactly, but the question isn't "Are Asians Devout Buddhists" but rather "Are Asian's Spiritual?" Note that I always refer to the religion I've seen practiced as "Buddhism/Chinese Traditional Religion."

Quote:
What if a Christian only goes to church once or twice a year, throwing 50 bucks and praying for God in hope that he/she will get a well-paid job to afford more luxurious lifestyle? Do you still consider he/she to be religious?
Are you going to Church on Easter Sunday or Christmas Eve? Notice how full the pews and collection baskets are? Just from observation, I'd guess that the above statement fits about 75% of Christians in the USA.

I don't really buy venerating Asian practices of religion by saying they're more "wholistic" or whatever. A lot of it is just superstition or habits unsupported by scientific evidence, but simply practiced by weight of history. In fact, when questioned, a common defense is "People have been doing this for 5000 years, so if it didn't work, they would stop." I'm sure 4000 years ago, they said the same thing to anyone who questioned the practice.

I do appreciate how Asians have fused Buddhism and Chinese Traditions together into a workable life pattern which doesn't require the weird behaviours of western reglions I mentioned before; costumes, chants, certain foods/thoughts/science off-limits, etc.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I do appreciate how Asians have fused Buddhism and Chinese Traditions together into a workable life pattern which doesn't require the weird behaviours of western reglions I mentioned before; costumes, chants, certain foods/thoughts/science off-limits, etc.
How much do you know about Eastern religion and spirituality?

Plenty of chanting, dietary regulations.etc in Eastern religion too, but like in the West, only a minority, monks/nuns/pious lay-believers.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Plenty of chanting, dietary regulations.etc in Eastern religion too, but like in the West, only a minority, monks/nuns/pious lay-believers.
But in the west the requirements to avoid certain foods, wear funny hats to temple (or in general), or practice ceremonies at certain arbitrary times extend to even the moderately pious of many religions.

As for what I know; only what I've gathered from 3rd-party observations of all religions. I have a lot of exposure to a specific sect of Christianity, so I try to filter that influence out when I speak about my observations, since it would skew my perceptions of the other western and eastern religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia