Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed the parallels between South India - roughly the provinces of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala, and the South-eastern provinces of China: Guangdong, Fujian, Jiangsu, Anhui, Hunan? Most especially Guangdong/Fujian and Tamil Nadu/Kerala.

The south in each country is the most linguistically diverse. Both are the most well-off in their respective countries. Oddly, though, S.Indians are more conservative than N.Indians despite being wealthier. Vegetarianism is prominent in Fujian province and South India (less so in Guangdong).

Much of the Indian and Chinese diaspora originated from the southern parts of these two countries. Many of the earliest explorers/traders etc came from Goa, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, as well as Guangdong and Fujian, and later on, many migrated all over the world. The British used labourers from south India and China to work their colonies from Jamaica to Malaya.

Many Singaporeans trace their ancestry to these two regions of the world.

Both New Delhi and Beijing are in the north of the country, are rather dry, dusty, austere places, and northerners are seen as more political and conservative, while southerners are more mercantile.

Although much smaller I would also add Vietnam to the mix. Saigon, Shanghai, Mumbai is like of like Hanoi, Beijing, New Delhi.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 AM

20 posts, read 46,936 times
Has anyone noticed the parallels between South India - roughly the provinces of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala, and the South-eastern provinces of China: Guangdong, Fujian, Jiangsu, Anhui, Hunan? Most especially Guangdong/Fujian and Tamil Nadu/Kerala.

The south in each country is the most linguistically diverse. Both are the most well-off in their respective countries. Oddly, though, S.Indians are more conservative than N.Indians despite being wealthier. Vegetarianism is prominent in Fujian province and South India (less so in Guangdong).

Much of the Indian and Chinese diaspora originated from the southern parts of these two countries. Many of the earliest explorers/traders etc came from Goa, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, as well as Guangdong and Fujian, and later on, many migrated all over the world. The British used labourers from south India and China to work their colonies from Jamaica to Malaya.

Many Singaporeans trace their ancestry to these two regions of the world.

Both New Delhi and Beijing are in the north of the country, are rather dry, dusty, austere places, and northerners are seen as more political and conservative, while southerners are more mercantile.

Although much smaller I would also add Vietnam to the mix. Saigon, Shanghai, Mumbai is like of like Hanoi, Beijing, New Delhi.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Why did you just copy and paste what I wrote?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:12 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,516 times
I'm not as familiar with India as I am with China but I thought most of the Indian diaspora originates from Gujarat or Punjab? Neither of those states are in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia