Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well, a lot of them are mixed...would you identify the current prime minister as Chinese? I think she and her brother look pretty Chinese. Most people in Bangkok have Chinese ancestry. Also Phuket and a few other places outside Bangkok.

Yes they're not that uncommon...I think it's largely because they're still culturally quite different, and Indians are conservative.

A lot of the Filipinos I've met here look Chinese, some don't, but quite a few do. Maybe they're the wealthier ones. Like Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos look pretty Chinese.

It's not ironic because those countries were more about assimilation (especially Thailand), whereas the Malays and Chinese have always been pretty separate and some Malays want Malaysia for the Malays. Also few Chinese have converted to Islam in Malaysia.
Yes Ferdinand Marcos had Chinese ancestry. His forefather was a Chinese pirate in the 15th century. Imelda Marcos is of Spanish ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Although not as Chinese looking as her husband I think Imelda could pass for Chinese.

Marcos Jnr could also pass as Chinese.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:12 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Filipinos who are Spanish-mixed are usually Chinese-mixed as well, and vice-versa. Those groups have a long history of mixing. It's only the recent Chinese immigrants who aren't mixed with Spanish

Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,899 times
Quote:

Although not as Chinese looking as her husband I think Imelda could pass for Chinese.

Marcos Jnr could also pass as Chinese.
Marcos Jr looks Thai to me.
If Ferdinard Marcos had a Chinese pirate ancestor, that could explain why he looks Indo-Chinese. There IS a reason why there is a region named indo-China and Thailand is a part of. This region doesn't extend to Philippines. Many more Thais look quarter Chinese than Filipinos.

But indo Chinese includes Cambodia and Myanmar and they don't look like Chinese at all! I've been to Cambodia and I've seen enough Myanmese. Both ethnicities look like Filipinos.

Filipinos look like Pacific Islanders. Malays and Indonesians are in the same group. The gene pool of pure Filipinos are the same as Malays.

There is an ascribed visual imagery/look to each cluster of region. And the borders of said region would have some who look 80% Southeast Asian, 20% East Asian. Or 75-25. The fact that we are even discussing this person is Filly but looks 30% or 23% Chinese, shows that there are DISTINCT LOOKS to the regions and majority fits the distinct look. Otherwise you wouldn't even be able to make such statements like "this guy is Filipino and looks a bit Chinese." Or "This Filly guy can PASS OFF as Chinese"' Would you be able to say that if Chinese and Filipino did not look clearly starkly different? Of coz not. Would you even need to say some guy could pass off?

The ethnic Chinese in Thailand and Philippines inter married at a higher rate than the ethnic Han Chinese in Chinese dominated countries like Singapore, Taiwan and HK, because of a lack of partners and than in Malaysia and Indonesia because of religion. But because they were the minority, even if they inter married, their off springs don't have a large enough number to impact the look of the country. The population of Indonesia (250M) and Philippines (100M) are both huge. As time passes with generation in Philippines, the mixed offsprings inter married further, watering the gene pool further. That's have such a hard time finding somebody that looks like a cut-and-dry first generation inter-racial mix like Nancy Kwan Nancy Kwan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thailand's population is just 65 million.

DNA tests conducted have found that black Americans have up to 15% of white DNA in them after 250 years of intermingling. Nobody has a problem knowing who looks African American in the US. 90 per cent of African genes are still found in citizens who identify themselves as Black in America.

Race Now: #2: How White Are Blacks? How Black Are Whites? by Steve Sailer for UPI; Mark. D. Shriver, admixture, genetic, gene, race, miscegenation, African-American, passing, Sally Hemmings

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-30-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old 09-30-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
It's not ironic because those countries were more about assimilation (especially Thailand), whereas the Malays and Chinese have always been pretty separate and some Malays want Malaysia for the Malays. Also few Chinese have converted to Islam in Malaysia.
This is very true. It applies to Indonesia as well.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
One face represents Chinese??
Nonsense.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Marcos Jr looks Thai to me.
If Ferdinard Marcos had a Chinese pirate ancestor, that could explain why he looks Indo-Chinese. There IS a reason why there is a region named indo-China and Thailand is a part of. This region doesn't extend to Philippines. Many more Thais look quarter Chinese than Filipinos.

But indo Chinese includes Cambodia and Myanmar and they don't look like Chinese at all! I've been to Cambodia and I've seen enough Myanmese. Both ethnicities look like Filipinos.

Filipinos look like Pacific Islanders. Malays and Indonesians are in the same group. The gene pool of pure Filipinos are the same as Malays.

There is an ascribed visual imagery/look to each cluster of region. And the borders of said region would have some who look 80% Southeast Asian, 20% East Asian. Or 75-25. The fact that we are even discussing this person is Filly but looks 30% or 23% Chinese, shows that there are DISTINCT LOOKS to the regions and majority fits the distinct look. Otherwise you wouldn't even be able to make such statements like "this guy is Filipino and looks a bit Chinese." Or "This Filly guy can PASS OFF as Chinese"' Would you be able to say that if Chinese and Filipino did not look clearly starkly different? Of coz not. Would you even need to say some guy could pass off?

The ethnic Chinese in Thailand and Philippines inter married at a higher rate than the ethnic Han Chinese in Chinese dominated countries like Singapore, Taiwan and HK, because of a lack of partners and than in Malaysia and Indonesia because of religion. But because they were the minority, even if they inter married, their off springs don't have a large enough number to impact the look of the country. The population of Indonesia (250M) and Philippines (100M) are both huge. As time passes with generation in Philippines, the mixed offsprings inter married further, watering the gene pool further. That's have such a hard time finding somebody that looks like a cut-and-dry first generation inter-racial mix like Nancy Kwan Nancy Kwan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thailand's population is just 65 million.

DNA tests conducted have found that black Americans have up to 15% of white DNA in them after 250 years of intermingling. Nobody has a problem knowing who looks African American in the US. 90 per cent of African genes are still found in citizens who identify themselves as Black in America.

Race Now: #2: How White Are Blacks? How Black Are Whites? by Steve Sailer for UPI; Mark. D. Shriver, admixture, genetic, gene, race, miscegenation, African-American, passing, Sally Hemmings
But he could pass as Southern Chinese.

Which Pacific Islanders, Maoris, Tongans, Fijians, Hawaiians? I think they still look pretty different to Polynesians. For instance Polynesians are tall and heavily built, while Filipinos and Malays are short.

Remember the Dai came from China, so would already be somewhat similar to the later Han.

Most Taiwanese have part aboriginal blood, as many early Hoklo settlers intermarried with the plains aborigines.

Eurasians aren't super common in Singapore, Malaysia or HK because there aren't that many Europeans, but they're not all that uncommon either.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:31 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
With the high number of Chinese who mixed with Thais in Thailand, I'd agree there would be many all over but I do maintain most pure Chinese of Thai nationality are in Bangkok. That's at least my experience whenever I go to Thailand.

Sorry I stand corrected on my exaggeration on "none" found outside Bangkok.
Mai bpen rai (no problem). Not all are mixed with Thais, but a lot are. I just wanted to make a clarification on the description of "ethnic Chinese". Actually, I was rather surprised that the percentage of ethnic Chinese in Thailand was 14%. That was a lot higher than I thought. But sure, you're right, and I did agree that BKK does indeed have a higher concentration of ethnic Chinese than other locations around the country, and probably pure (full bloodline) Chinese as well. Much of the economic wealth in Thailand is controlled by hi-so Chinese Thais, both pure and ethnic, in BKK. I'm not sure if the total percentage figure outside of BKK is higher or lower though. But there are a lot who don't live in BKK.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Well, a lot of them are mixed...would you identify the current prime minister as Chinese? I think she and her brother look pretty Chinese. Most people in Bangkok have Chinese ancestry. Also Phuket and a few other places outside Bangkok.
It'd be a real stretch to say most people in BKK have Chinese ancestry, unless you go way back to the origins of Thais. Today the majority of people in BKK are pretty much from elsewhere, a lot from Issan, who migrated (and still are) to the city to find better paying work.

By the prime minister, if you mean of Thailand, the Shinawtra family is of Chinese descent, but are mixed. Both Thaksin and Yingluck are from Chiang Mai.
Thaksin Shinawatra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yingluck Shinawatra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2013, 11:14 AM

It's well known a lot of Thais, Vietnamese and other Southeast Asians but more of these two in particular are fond of claiming that either they personally or people in their country have part Chinese ancestry, but the Chinese do not feel the same reciprocity and feel disgusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia