Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 20,664 times

Advertisements

They certainly have a tendency to be far more hardline about them than are either White or Black people. A lot of British Asians I know tell me that they'd be happy to have a non-South Asian boyfriend or girlfriend... were it not for their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 10:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
South Asians have a long-history of arranged marriages, etc.

To go western, and sleep around and date and mate with just anyone....is a big cultural no-no, that makes them less marriage-material within their own culture, etc. (This applies to South Asian women more than men though).

Of course, the kids are in a western culture with the different rules and such. But, I think it's near impossible to get conservative parents from India to accept that their kids can date-and-mate all over the place, and accept that they'll still be 'okay' in the long-term with their marriage in their future mother/wife years.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM

10 posts, read 20,664 times
I can understand all that. But I do feel that, among Western leftists, there is a peculiar sentimentality and deference towards the social conservatism of South Asians and other non-Western peoples, both on this issue and others. All sorts of bigotries and injustices are justified in the name of 'tradition' and 'culture' in a way that is (quite rightly) not so when regarding Western peoples themselves.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
South Asian culture is still very traditional and conservative. Marrying out of your caste is often a big no-no, let alone a non-Desi. Good point, though, the status of women in India is often quite unequal, not saying the West is perfect. The recent uproar over gang rapes in India probably highlight a major social phenomenon there - I don't think gang rape is part of the culture, it's still considered a huge deal, but Indian males are also often very forwardly sexually in a way that would make western women uncomfortable.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
I know better than thinking that I could speak about "South Asians" in general, so I'll stick to myself.

Personally, aside from religion(even though I'm more of deist than anything, I still identify with being Hindu) the reasons why I have no particular interest in marrying out are familiarity and the fact that I'd like to recreate the warm, structured Indian family life that I had/have for my kids. Not to mention the fact that I want an awesome, big Indian wedding!

Last edited by TylerJAX; 10-10-2013 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I know better than thinking that I could speak about "South Asians" in general, so I'll stick to myself.

Personally, aside from religion(even though I'm more of deist than anything, I still identify with being Hindu) the reasons why I have no particular interest in marrying out are familiarity and the fact that I'd like to recreate the warm, structured Indian family life that I had/have for my kids. Not to mention the fact that I want an awesome, big Indian wedding!
So, in other words, its your culture. (You know, the culture that you pretend doesn't exist when you say you "can't speak in general terms, just yourself").

The eternal contradiction of the PC; different cultures should be respected; culture = shared differences c.f. one or more other groups; there is no such thing as generalities, thus culture doesn't exist because "everyone is an individual."

Let me make it simple - cultures do exist. They are collective differences with other groups. However, just because population A as a culture eats, say, durian, doesn't mean everyone in population A eats durian. Nevertheless, population A is still a durian-eating culture. Thats a generality, don't be scared of saying it.

Its impossible for everyone to be a randomly non-influenced individiual and yet still have a "culture" at the same time. Stop the pretense.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Stop the pretense.
You should take your own advice

Don't attempt to lecture me about my choices and my post with your pedantic rambling and your assumptions about me.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 10-11-2013 at 12:11 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 11:43 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
I'm starting to see more of interracial relationships from South Asians over the past 5-6 yrs in the U.S from the younger generation.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:08 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
From another angle of view:

Only southeast Asians and some East Asians are so crazy about interracial marriage. All other peoples don't.
Middle Easterners, South Asians, Africans, Europeans...strongly prefer their own men and their own women.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:30 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
From another angle of view:

Only southeast Asians and some East Asians are so crazy about interracial marriage. All other peoples don't.
Middle Easterners, South Asians, Africans, Europeans...strongly prefer their own men and their own women.
Why " crazy " ? Just because interracial marriages are common? You always try to make it sound like interracial marriages are bad. We are all humans so there is definitely nothing wrong with marrying someone from another country.
Europeans marrying their own kind ? How do you know ? If they marry another European, it's already someone from another country that has a different culture but you just can't tell because they look the same. The hollywood stars from the 50's, if you look at their biographies, their fathers were this and that and their Mothers were this and that too. Of course, the offsprings still looked the same because they both have the same Caucasian features.
Even the royalties in Europe also marry people from other European countries. Queen Sofia of Spain is not Spanish, she's from Greece.
My husband's bestfriend is a European but he married a Polish American. I know some Portuguese women who are married to Filipino men.
So you think an Asian should just marry a fellow Asian ? Why ? That sounds a bit racist.
How about a Chinese marrying a Korean ? Maybe for you, it is more acceptable as they both look the same and probably have things in common.
Every now and then , I would see a Chinese girl with a Westerner. With the influx of many Western teachers in China, I wouldn't doubt if interracial marriages would already be common in the near future.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 10-11-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia