Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:28 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,118 times

Advertisements

When I mean friendly, I do not mean nice, polite or respectful. I mean the ones who are outgoing, welcoming, type of people. Also which are the countries that are least like that? I only want to focus on East and Southeast Asia.

I for example, I heard that Japanese, Koreans, Singaporeans they are very nice and polite, well mannered but not friendly at all. There are way too many formalities that there is no room for any teasing or being casual. Also I heard many are so reserved/closed and Boring. Maybe that's because those countries have had difficult times throught history such as small neighboring states constantly waging wars on each other, famine, cruel emperors, droughts, etc...maybe that's why Respect is more important than reception

From what I heard, Filipinos are the most friendly but I don't know for sure all this...this is just all based from my experience and from what I've heard

Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Well if you are talking about being outgoing, it is still Filipinos of course because like all hispanic countries, Filipinos are one of the most extroverted people in the world.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:42 PM

38 posts, read 68,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Well if you are talking about being outgoing, it is still Filipinos of course because like all hispanic countries, Filipinos are one of the most extroverted people in the world.
And therein lies the problem. All flash. No substance. Smart humans think with their brains, not their mouths.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 PM

23,519 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I would say that Filipinos are very open about race relations and very friendly (generally) towards other people. I think Thai's and Japanese are friendly also. So, who is not friendly? Koreans, Chinese from Mainland China, and Chinese from Hong Kong.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 PM

38 posts, read 68,367 times
Chinese people get a bad rep. That's just the way the culture evolved in such highly populated conditions. No time to play nice when it is feast or famine all the time.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,096 times
Most East Asian countries are very friendly much more than South Asian ones for definite.

West Asian countries are much much less friendly.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 AM

22 posts, read 57,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post
Most East Asian countries are very friendly much more than South Asian ones for definite.

West Asian countries are much much less friendly.
I agree with you. In my opinion, East Asians (especially Chinese and Japanese) are generally very friendly people. South and West Asians not so much.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 AM

39 posts, read 99,263 times
Malaysia and Singapore are friendly too.
Just something to be aware of it's their culture when you travelling to those countries.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Indonesian and Thais are very friendly and helpful (both are practically the land of the smiles), and i am pretty sure that Indonesians would treat you equally more than some of its neighbor, (except touristy areas of Bali, but beside those yes they would and are happy to socialize with you even if their English is bad) they would love to make new foreign friends to hangout in the bar with.

Indonesia highly regards the prospect on respecting others (in a way similar to Japan)... but less formality, just being plainly nice to stranger is part of the custom, they would be very generous to a guest they received. Whilst in Singapore or Malaysia smiling to a stranger would make you look stupid and worse in S. Korea.

Last edited by Goshio22; 11-07-2013 at 12:41 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 08:34 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
it also depends a lot on the situation, if your a tourist and they want to sell something to you they will act friendly to get you to buy something, as soon as they get the money they could care less about being friendly

just try returning something thats defective to an asian business and you will see how unfriendly they can become
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia