U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2015, 10:00 PM
 
76 posts, read 94,918 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

Cam someone tell me what it is like living in Dubai? I met someone who worked helped build the world islands, they said it was amazing. Also, how would it compare to living on Phoenix, Arizona on the US. I know it is Muslim, how would it affect my interactions, because I am Christian. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mario View Post
Cam someone tell me what it is like living in Dubai? I met someone who worked helped build the world islands, they said it was amazing. Also, how would it compare to living on Phoenix, Arizona on the US. I know it is Muslim, how would it affect my interactions, because I am Christian. Thanks in advance.
If you are from Phoenix, than the weather in Dubai would be an easy adjustment. Basically Dubai has a ton of development, but also quite spread out, and a few things are more vertical than Phoenix, but walking around in Dubai is not an easy task. Everything is built very car-oriented, much like Phoenix.

Muslim/Christian thing. I think they'll assume most white Americans will be of a Christian background. If you are one of those 'true Christian' types, in that you don't believe in sex before marriage, frown on drinking alcohol, etc. You'll probably find it an easy transition.

If you are one of those armchair christians who wants to live with his girlfriend, have his girlfriend over all the time, and get drunk all the time...then you'll be in some adjustment. That being said, you can still do those things in Dubai, and Muslim men do that themselves. But, it's not encouraged.

I guess it just depends on how you define ''christian'' for yourself. If you are one that believes is proselytizing and converting everyone, and handing out biblical tracts, you might have other issues as well.

So, I guess it depends on what kind of "Christian" you consider yourself....if you can define that more, it will be easier to see if its a good thing or a bad thing within Dubai culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 08:14 AM
 
76 posts, read 94,918 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If you are from Phoenix, than the weather in Dubai would be an easy adjustment. Basically Dubai has a ton of development, but also quite spread out, and a few things are more vertical than Phoenix, but walking around in Dubai is not an easy task. Everything is built very car-oriented, much like Phoenix.

Muslim/Christian thing. I think they'll assume most white Americans will be of a Christian background. If you are one of those 'true Christian' types, in that you don't believe in sex before marriage, frown on drinking alcohol, etc. You'll probably find it an easy transition.

If you are one of those armchair christians who wants to live with his girlfriend, have his girlfriend over all the time, and get drunk all the time...then you'll be in some adjustment. That being said, you can still do those things in Dubai, and Muslim men do that themselves. But, it's not encouraged.

I guess it just depends on how you define ''christian'' for yourself. If you are one that believes is proselytizing and converting everyone, and handing out biblical tracts, you might have other issues as well.

So, I guess it depends on what kind of "Christian" you consider yourself....if you can define that more, it will be easier to see if its a good thing or a bad thing within Dubai culture.
Great, I think it is going to be a great thing to visit. I am multiracial and so is my wife, that probably isn't an issue. But in Phoenix(less so in Virginia) people tend to stare nothing majoe, but it seems really wierd sometimes. Also, is Abu Dhabi or even Doha Qatar, that different fron Dubai?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mario View Post
Great, I think it is going to be a great thing to visit. I am multiracial and so is my wife, that probably isn't an issue. But in Phoenix(less so in Virginia) people tend to stare nothing majoe, but it seems really wierd sometimes. Also, is Abu Dhabi or even Doha Qatar, that different fron Dubai?
People stare at....? Being that you are multiracial? I don't think you'll get stared at for being multiracial, I mean you might...but anyway, the Emirati look is dark complexion anyway... you might get stared at for other reasons though.

That being said, Dubai is nearly 50% Indian male workers...they are the ones building everything at extremely low pay with very little rights. They stare at just about everyone and everything. I don't think I got on a single train in Dubai without being stared at by at least 10 Indian men. But it is a very HARMLESS stare...that's just what they do.

Abu Dhabi and Doha...they are nowhere near as interesting as Dubai. Both AbuDhabi and Doha are VERY SPREAD OUT....Dubai is too, but at least it has a metro line. The other two don't have metro lines, and people in the Middle East don't drive very well. They ignore lanes, and drive all over the place, and often way too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 05:59 AM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,007,397 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mario View Post
Great, I think it is going to be a great thing to visit. I am multiracial and so is my wife, that probably isn't an issue. But in Phoenix(less so in Virginia) people tend to stare nothing majoe, but it seems really wierd sometimes. Also, is Abu Dhabi or even Doha Qatar, that different fron Dubai?
Tiger Beer hit alot of the important points already, but a few more thoughts.

Being multiracial in Dubai will not be an issue especially depending on your complexion. I self identify as black but am mixed with Jewish blood and basically blend in with alot of the folks living there. Being an American, even if you were black is an advantage over African born blacks and the Indian labour force that is in place. As Tiger Beer said, people may stare but it is more a cultural thing than threatening thing.

Doha is very different from Dubai. Dubai is basically what Doha aspires to be when it eventually grows up (Probably in time for World Cup) Entertainment is plentiful in Dubai, while in Doha it is very limited. Basically every night after work in Doha I would go get something to eat have some tea and maybe some SHeesha then go to bed. Dubai is a much more stimulating experience and while somewhat sterile, there is a ton to do.

Transportation is also a huge issue in Doha. You basically are forced to drive or hire a taxi for long distances and that is it. While Dubai is still obviously car centric, the Metro system is in place and works quite well while being extremely modern. Also depending on the section of Dubai you are in you may have stuff to do within walking distance.

Finally the Visa and working situation for ex pats in the UAE is alot easier to navigate than Qatar. Both are very business friendly and welcoming, but the process in Dubai makes sense, while in Qatar it is always a headache.

You should definitely visit though as they are places I think everyone should at least check out for a couple days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 AM
 
76 posts, read 94,918 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Tiger Beer hit alot of the important points already, but a few more thoughts.

Being multiracial in Dubai will not be an issue especially depending on your complexion. I self identify as black but am mixed with Jewish blood and basically blend in with alot of the folks living there. Being an American, even if you were black is an advantage over African born blacks and the Indian labour force that is in place. As Tiger Beer said, people may stare but it is more a cultural thing than threatening thing.

Doha is very different from Dubai. Dubai is basically what Doha aspires to be when it eventually grows up (Probably in time for World Cup) Entertainment is plentiful in Dubai, while in Doha it is very limited. Basically every night after work in Doha I would go get something to eat have some tea and maybe some SHeesha then go to bed. Dubai is a much more stimulating experience and while somewhat sterile, there is a ton to do.

Transportation is also a huge issue in Doha. You basically are forced to drive or hire a taxi for long distances and that is it. While Dubai is still obviously car centric, the Metro system is in place and works quite well while being extremely modern. Also depending on the section of Dubai you are in you may have stuff to do within walking distance.

Finally the Visa and working situation for ex pats in the UAE is alot easier to navigate than Qatar. Both are very business friendly and welcoming, but the process in Dubai makes sense, while in Qatar it is always a headache.

You should definitely visit though as they are places I think everyone should at least check out for a couple days.
Thanks, also I wanted to know, can you eat the food and drink the water as you would be able to in the US? Because even going to Mexico which is literally four hours down the freeway, Americans can get very ill. Although, I didn't get sick anywhere I have traveled to, jinx, I want to know is the safety regulations about the same as any first-world-country? I don't want to always to have to be on gaurd (Was thus washed in purified water?) That sort of thing. Thanks for all of the replies btw!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 09:16 AM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,007,397 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mario View Post
Thanks, also I wanted to know, can you eat the food and drink the water as you would be able to in the US? Because even going to Mexico which is literally four hours down the freeway, Americans can get very ill. Although, I didn't get sick anywhere I have traveled to, jinx, I want to know is the safety regulations about the same as any first-world-country? I don't want to always to have to be on gaurd (Was thus washed in purified water?) That sort of thing. Thanks for all of the replies btw!
They say the tap water is safe to drink and I know some ex pats who do, but personally I drink bottled water everywhere I travel due to a bad experience in another country in the region. Food wise I have had no issues and as long as its a reputable type establishment that follows basic sanitary standards, you should be fine. But tap water is just not something i even like to risk drinking, which may be paranoid, but is a personal decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 09:18 AM
 
76 posts, read 94,918 times
Reputation: 29
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Singapore
653 posts, read 540,031 times
Reputation: 289
Would keeping a bank account in Dubai be safe for expats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 07:40 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,007,397 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Would keeping a bank account in Dubai be safe for expats?
Very much so. Dubai has a very healthy and professional banking system. The only recommendation I would make is if you are investing in Dubai make sure to have a will in place. The UAE will default to Sharia Law if you die with no will in place. Otherwise it is quite simple to open an account in Dubai, many international banks have a presence there as well but the local banks are also good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top