Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 03:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,306 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

My name is Khaled, and I'm from Saudi Arabia. I was born and raised in Riyadh city. I have lived more than five years in the United State. During my stay in the U.S, I faced different issues especially when I had to move to different cities. This forum has helped me a lot learning about the cities I was moving to. Therefore, I believe I should help people who are considering moving to Riyadh by answering any questions they have regarding living and working in the city.

Brief about Riyadh:

Riyadh is the capital and largest city of Saudi Arabia. It is also the capital of Riyadh Province. Riyadh is home to 5.7 million people, and the urban centre of a region with a population of close to 7.3 million people. The city is divided into 15 municipal districts, managed by Riyadh Municipality headed by the mayor of Riyadh, and the Riyadh Development Authority, chaired by the governor of Riyadh Province. The climate as having ahot desert climate temperatures during the summer months, which are extremely hot. The average high temperature in July is 42.6 °C. Winters are warm with cold, windy nights. The overall climate is , and the city experiences very little rainfall, especially in summer, but receives a fair amount of rain in March and April. It is also known to have many dust storms. The dust is often so thick that visibility is under 10 m (33 ft). In April 2015, a massive dust storm hit Riyadh, causing suspension of classes in many schools in the area and cancellation of hundreds of flights, both domestic and international.(Wiki)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 09:43 PM

600 posts, read 753,882 times
How is the job market there?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:10 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,055 times
How about women tourist, are they allowed to move around freely? What's the expected decorum?
I hope one day I can travel to the Middle East and honestly, I won't mind covering my face or my body. But I know there's more than that and in some places I might stand out, so I want to avoid any uncomfortable situations.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-14-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
How is the job market there?
The job marker is huge because of the projects in the city such as the Riyadh Metro Project. Most of the jobs are in the construction industry, technology industry, and finance. If you are looking for a job in the petroleum and oil industry, you will have to look in the east and west side of the Saudi Arabia.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-16-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
How about women tourist, are they allowed to move around freely? What's the expected decorum?
I hope one day I can travel to the Middle East and honestly, I won't mind covering my face or my body. But I know there's more than that and in some places I might stand out, so I want to avoid any uncomfortable situations.

Thanks in advance
Women cam move around freely, but they can not drive. They can take a cap everywhere, which is cheap, or they can rent a car with its driver. Riyadh is so diverse. You will find people from different countries around the world. For example, women coming from Europe or the U.S, they do not wear Hjab, or cover their face. They just put Aba'ya, which covers the body and looks like a long coat. The expected decorum is like any part of the world where you have to respect all the people and do not offend them. Religion is pretty critical here, so avoid disrespecting it. You still can discusses it and chat about it if you want, but you should do that with well educated people.

Middle east has a lot to offer. For example, Dubai is a great city. It is like any other U.S city. It does not have the same restrictions Riyadh has regarding women clothes.

Egypt is a really great country. It has a lot of culture, and the people are so nice. It is one of the country I love.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:44 AM

493 posts, read 385,575 times
Saudi Arabia looks like an interesting and unique country. However, I don't like how there are no churches allowed to be built in that huge land despite millions of foreign Christian workers. Saudi Arabia should be more modern and not strict just like UAE, Jordan and other Muslim majority countries.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:48 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,562 times
What are the leisure time spending possibilities? I know a lot of stuff is forbidden because of Islam. Seems like people like to powerslide their cars on the roads to have some fun. What else is there to do?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:56 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Are houses multifamily type of houses or single family?
Where does the water come from, underground, above ground?
Is there plants growing naturally in the area or is it mostly all sand?
Do things grow well?
Is Saudi Arabia significantly different from Yemen, Oman, UAE, Bahrain, and Qatar? Or are all the countries on the Arabian peninsula pretty similar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia