Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:26 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
You would need to go to America and Latin America then go to East and South Asia then go to the Philippines to see what I am talking about.

Ive been to all three numerous times.

Filipinos are much more similar to Americans/Latinos than other Asians.
I admit I haven't been to Latin America, but I have visited numerous Hispanic communities in the USA. Aside from religion and other Spanish influences, I do not see a lot of similarities. Personality and disposition? You can even be brothers and sisters, but with opposite personality and disposition.

I have also visited a lot of SOUTHEAST Asian countries, as well as East Asia and South Asia. The Philippines belongs to Southeast Asia. There's a lot of similarity between the Philippines and Borneo. I am not talking only the neighboring areas of Sabah and southwestern Mindanao. Sarawak, despite its distance and no Spanish influence, actually has similarities with Northern Mindanao and Northern Luzon. Even in peninsular Malaysia, one can visit a traditional Malay house and the similarities with a traditional Filipino "nipa" hut is striking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:28 AM

750 posts, read 643,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I admit I haven't been to Latin America, but I have visited numerous Hispanic communities in the USA. Aside from religion and other Spanish influences, I do not see a lot of similarities. Personality and disposition? You can even be brothers and sisters, but with opposite personality and disposition.

I have also visited a lot of SOUTHEAST Asian countries, as well as East Asia and South Asia. The Philippines belongs to Southeast Asia. There's a lot of similarity between the Philippines and Borneo. I am not talking only the neighboring areas of Sabah and southwestern Mindanao. Sarawak, despite its distance and no Spanish influence, actually has similarities with Northern Mindanao and Northern Luzon. Even in peninsular Malaysia, one can visit a traditional Malay house and the similarities with a traditional Filipino "nipa" hut is striking.
Its hard to explain man. Filipinos are very westernized, open minded, friendly, strong family ties, religious, always love to party and have a good time, etc etc.

Like I said, they are much more like Americans/Latinos compared to Koreans/Thais etc. About the only Asian group they are remotely similar to are the Indonesians.

Like I said, this is coming from someone who has lived in America, Latin America, and Asia.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:22 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Quote:
Its hard to explain man. Filipinos are very westernized, open minded, friendly, strong family ties, religious, always love to party and have a good time, etc etc.

Like I said, they are much more like Americans/Latinos compared to Koreans/Thais etc. About the only Asian group they are remotely similar to are the Indonesians.

Like I said, this is coming from someone who has lived in America, Latin America, and Asia.
westernized, yes. thats the correct term but not hispanic. the only thing Filipinos share with the hispanics or latinos is the Roman Catholicism

Old 05-25-2015, 06:02 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

I've been to Spain, and I felt very much at home. It felt familiar. I can't say the same when I went to Korea or Japan. They felt very foreign. I haven't been to another Southeast Asian country, but I'm sure that they would also feel familiar. My point is that the Philippines shares cultural similarities with countries that are geographically close and similarities with countries that are far away as well. No need to say "Filipinos are only culturally similar to this group, no one else"

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
westernized, yes. thats the correct term but not hispanic. the only thing Filipinos share with the hispanics or latinos is the Roman Catholicism
There's food, music, and traditions as well. Some language too. These things are being lost though because the Philippines is increasingly Americanized.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:

The Philippines has indeed more American and Spanish influences compared to other Asian countries, because it used to be a colony of USA and Spain. That point I do agree. Also, there's indeed a similarity between Filipinos and Indonesians, and that we cannot call "remotely". Geographically and historically, it had close ties. I do not disagree with you on a lot of points. I just don't think strong family ties is way more American/Latino than it is Asian? The most important point that I disagree with is this:
Quote:
They are only Asian in geographic location. They are FAR and AWAY more similar to Americans, Hispanics. Hence why they are so different than any other Asian people/culture.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:40 PM

440 posts, read 661,886 times
The Filipino culture description are in sharp contrast to its neighbors including Indonesia.
Quote:

The East coast is colder and less Asian friendly.

West coast and Hawaii are warmer, closer, attracting most Asians immigrants to the US.
In Hawaii, both native Hawaiians and Filipinos may look similar, and actually both are Austronesian people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So? Another four hours by airplane, and you can be on the east coast of the US. If you've already done Philippines to California that extra bit isn't much.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
The Filipino culture description are in sharp contrast to its neighbors including Indonesia.

The East coast is colder and less Asian friendly.

West coast and Hawaii are warmer, closer, attracting most Asians immigrants to the US.
In Hawaii, both native Hawaiians and Filipinos may look similar, and actually both are Austronesian people.
How is the east coast not asian friendly? I don't get this at all, because it's not true. There's millions of Asians and Asian-Americans living within a 6 hour drive of NYC

Old 05-26-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I've been to Spain, and I felt very much at home. It felt familiar. I can't say the same when I went to Korea or Japan. They felt very foreign. I haven't been to another Southeast Asian country, but I'm sure that they would also feel familiar. My point is that the Philippines shares cultural similarities with countries that are geographically close and similarities with countries that are far away as well. No need to say "Filipinos are only culturally similar to this group, no one else"

There's food, music, and traditions as well. Some language too. These things are being lost though because the Philippines is increasingly Americanized.
I never claimed that Filipinos have no similarities with Hispanic countries and Spain. There really are a lot, but the Philippines still cannot fit into the definition of being Hispanic anyway. It's also a stretch to say that the Philippines does not have anything in common with other Asian countries, when in fact, it also has a lot.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,816 times
I am Filipino and I appreciate the West influence on us particularly democracy and universal education. we have always been free and love freedom and will always fight for it. that's why I don't look at much with the Chinese who despite their thousand years civilization can not still express what they really want. they still allow themselves to be ruled upon by a select few.

although the Philippines is still run like a feudal state, I am hopeful it can right the ship to a prosperous future

Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 AM

349 posts, read 488,519 times
Mexico is just as far to the Philippines as Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia