Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 04:32 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,519 times

Advertisements

The plots of K-drama has made great progress since it does not revolve the following themes any more:
(1) Either the guy or the girl has leukemia;
(2) Either the guy or the girl is hit by a truck at the most critical moment;
(3) Puppy love has an everlasting influence on their adult life.

But still they can't get rid of some story lines like either the guy or the girl is an orphan. It makes you wonder how many kids are born out of wedlock in S Korea!

On the contrary, seldom is there orphan in J-drama. I guess maybe because abortion is more common and affordable in Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 05:24 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
I'm not a big K drama guy, but I've enjoyed a few. It's something I can watch with my wife anyway.

Unstoppable High Kick is my favorite. Absolutely hilarious.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:53 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,659 times
my bf watches more kdramas than i do. he watches them whenever he's home. he'd rather watch kdramas than go somewhere actually lol

i watch both modern and historical kdramas. i do have my favorite set of actors/actresses, but people should also watch who's writing the shows. the better writers write the hit or better quality shows. the hong sisters used to be the bar in the industry, but the writer/s behind descendants of the sun and goblin are now the standard bearers. the producer of the classic/legendary 4 seasons shows and love rain is a rarity both in korean and western productions.

sometimes it's not just the actors and the writers, but the OST that catches my attention. if a show has really great songs/scoring, i'd pay attention to it even if i didn't really like the cast or the writing that much.

and in some shows, it's the character/supporting actors that are the draw for me. the south korean entertainment industry has a bevy of amazing character/support actors, especially the older ones. horse face ahjumma (kim mi kyung) is one of my favorites! she made shows such as healer, tamra island, and others far more interesting than the leads haha!

Old 06-25-2017, 02:54 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,659 times
i didn't realize this thread existed! love it!

Old 07-09-2017, 06:21 PM

5 posts, read 4,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
The plots of K-drama has made great progress since it does not revolve the following themes any more:
(1) Either the guy or the girl has leukemia;
(2) Either the guy or the girl is hit by a truck at the most critical moment;
(3) Puppy love has an everlasting influence on their adult life.

But still they can't get rid of some story lines like either the guy or the girl is an orphan. It makes you wonder how many kids are born out of wedlock in S Korea!

On the contrary, seldom is there orphan in J-drama. I guess maybe because abortion is more common and affordable in Japan.

Abortion is officially illegal in Korea. It is allowed if it is necessary in medical condition though. Even so, the number of kids without parents is very small here. I have never seen an orphan in my entire 30 years life. The reason why there are so many orphans in K drama is that secret of family is very important in plot of k drama.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,214,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
I highly recommend "Bad Thief, Good Thief" !!!
Wow where are you watching this, isn't it currently on in So Korea now? 70 minutes and 50 episodes, this is monumental.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:21 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Wow where are you watching this, isn't it currently on in So Korea now? 70 minutes and 50 episodes, this is monumental.
We subscribe to Viki.com. Episodes come up subtitled a few days after they air.

Yup, in for the long haul. But considering Ji Hyun Woo is one of my favorite actors, I'll enjoy it!

Old 07-14-2017, 06:10 PM

361 posts, read 398,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoul1504 View Post
Abortion is officially illegal in Korea. It is allowed if it is necessary in medical condition though. Even so, the number of kids without parents is very small here. I have never seen an orphan in my entire 30 years life. The reason why there are so many orphans in K drama is that secret of family is very important in plot of k drama.
Not to derail this thread, but the reason you don't see too many orphans in S. Korea is it's because these poor orphans in Korea are usually put up for adoption and sent overseas to parents usually in the US.

There are plenty of adopted Korean-Americans living here in the US.

There are also orphanages throughout Seoul. sad situation.

------------------------
On another note, which websites do you K-drama fans recommend me to watch K-dramas from?

Please don't mention Netflix. I don't like Netflix.

I also have cable TV with Comcast/Xfinity (booo! *thumbs down*) and they only have KBS World channel, and it's not even that great.

I miss all of the Korean channels that were available back in Hawaii when I used to live there. There, they offered SBS, KBS World (and it wasn't crappy like the KBS here in WA), Arirang and Ko-Am. The SBS channel had GREAT/AWESOME Korean drama soaps that I always watched almost every night!

Old 07-14-2017, 06:18 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Not to derail this thread, but the reason you don't see too many orphans in S. Korea is it's because these poor orphans in Korea are usually put up for adoption and sent overseas to parents usually in the US.

------------------------
!
I don't think you're right. The number of Korean adoptees are marginal nowadays. It peaked in the 80s and now the numbers are on par with the 60's at around 18,000 for the entire 2000's compared to 70,000 in the 80's.. I think economic prosperity and a low birth rate is the bigger cause.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post

------------------------
On another note, which websites do you K-drama fans recommend me to watch K-dramas from?

Please don't mention Netflix. I don't like Netflix.

I also have cable TV with Comcast/Xfinity (booo! *thumbs down*) and they only have KBS World channel, and it's not even that great.

I miss all of the Korean channels that were available back in Hawaii when I used to live there. There, they offered SBS, KBS World (and it wasn't crappy like the KBS here in WA), Arirang and Ko-Am. The SBS channel had GREAT/AWESOME Korean drama soaps that I always watched almost every night!
Viki
Dramafever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia