Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post

------------------------
On another note, which websites do you K-drama fans recommend me to watch K-dramas from?

Please don't mention Netflix. I don't like Netflix.

I also have cable TV with Comcast/Xfinity (booo! *thumbs down*) and they only have KBS World channel, and it's not even that great.

I miss all of the Korean channels that were available back in Hawaii when I used to live there. There, they offered SBS, KBS World (and it wasn't crappy like the KBS here in WA), Arirang and Ko-Am. The SBS channel had GREAT/AWESOME Korean drama soaps that I always watched almost every night!

kissasian, viki and dramafever are the main three we go to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 05:25 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Not to derail this thread, but the reason you don't see too many orphans in S. Korea is it's because these poor orphans in Korea are usually put up for adoption and sent overseas to parents usually in the US.

There are plenty of adopted Korean-Americans living here in the US.

There are also orphanages throughout Seoul. sad situation.

------------------------
On another note, which websites do you K-drama fans recommend me to watch K-dramas from?

Please don't mention Netflix. I don't like Netflix.

I also have cable TV with Comcast/Xfinity (booo! *thumbs down*) and they only have KBS World channel, and it's not even that great.

I miss all of the Korean channels that were available back in Hawaii when I used to live there. There, they offered SBS, KBS World (and it wasn't crappy like the KBS here in WA), Arirang and Ko-Am. The SBS channel had GREAT/AWESOME Korean drama soaps that I always watched almost every night!
Why not Netflix? They have quite a few kdramas now. Otherwise I use Dramafever or Vicki. We used to have yesasia channel on cable but it went away, I think they closed.

Yes Hawaii is great for kdramas, even has weekly update show to explain what the plot is doing.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:50 PM

361 posts, read 398,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Viki
Dramafever
^^ Awesome, thanks a lot, Ringwise!

Old 07-18-2017, 03:29 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,902 times
Some more observations of K-drama:

(1) It seems most single family homes in Seoul, no matter how fancy it is like having a garden, do not have garages or carports. Everyone just parks the car in front of the entrance. But the road is quite narrow though.

(2) A lot of homes are built on rooftop of some 3 or 4 story tall buildings. Usually at the beginning when the actor or actress is poor, he/she lives in those dwellings. I guess those structures are all illegal. But I think the authority does not enforce the building code strictly.

(3) Next to the hospital bed, there is always a humidifier. Is it so dry in the hospital that there is need for humidifier to turn on 24/7?

(4) Most Koreans possess either a Hyundai or Kia. Whenever they drink too much alcohol, they can call a driver to take them home. And it is really common that it happens in almost every K-drama. Such services should be available in U.S. to avoid drunk driving. But is it too risky to let a stranger drive your car to take you home?

(5) Moving service -- How the Koreans move is amazing. A couple of K-dramas show that they usually lift and move the furniture down from the balcony at the high rise instead of having workers fit them into the elevator.

(6) Korean girls can really drink. When I watched K-drama, I saw some young Korean girls have 4-5 bottles of Soju (stronger than Sake) without getting drunk. I wonder if it is true that they can really drink. But after traveling to Korea for many times, I found out it is true. Korean girls can really drink. Never challenge them on that.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:49 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,902 times
I like the epic K-drama more than the modern K-drama. In fact, I started watching as early as 2000 when "Emperor Wang Gun" was broadcast. Of course, the best one is "Dae Jang Geum". It is really nicely produced.

My only comment is that a lot of epic K-drama involved characters from China and Japan. K-drama likes to have the Korean actors and actresses performing in the role of Japanese or Chinese and they have to speak in Japanese and Mandarin.

Their spoken Japanese is usually legible but Mandarin is most of the time off tone.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 PM

361 posts, read 398,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Some more observations of K-drama:

(1) It seems most single family homes in Seoul, no matter how fancy it is like having a garden, do not have garages or carports.
Yes, a lot of Koreans tend to be green-thumbs and like growing their own vegetables, such as getnip and lettuces. My mom is like that. She like gardening and growing her own fruits and vegetables.

Quote:
(3) Next to the hospital bed, there is always a humidifier. Is it so dry in the hospital that there is need for humidifier to turn on 24/7?
It is part of Korean culture I guess, to keep the air humid. Heck, even I have my own air humidifier that I use here in the US when it's winter time. I don't know about you, but dry air makes my nose itch and my skin feel irritated.

Quote:
(4) Most Koreans possess either a Hyundai or Kia.
What do you expect? It's Korea and of course the majority of the people will drive either a Hyundai or a Kia vehicle!

Quote:
(5) Moving service -- How the Koreans move is amazing. A couple of K-dramas show that they usually lift and move the furniture down from the balcony at the high rise instead of having workers fit them into the elevator.
I actually like the conveyor belt trucks that they use in Korea to move furnitures and boxes from the unit. I think it's a more efficient and safe way to move heavy furnitures from the high-rise unit down to the ground, or vice-versa. This is done probably to prevent the moving company employees from injuring their back from lifting heavy furniture or boxes.

Quote:
(6) Korean girls can really drink. When I watched K-drama, I saw some young Korean girls have 4-5 bottles of Soju (stronger than Sake) without getting drunk. I wonder if it is true that they can really drink. But after traveling to Korea for many times, I found out it is true. Korean girls can really drink. Never challenge them on that.
They probably drink water or bohreecha (barley tea) on top of drinking soju to dilute it. I have never personally drank with a Korean girl, although I'm part Korean, so I don't know about that.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:31 AM

I just watched Bi Rain in Sketch. Love love love Rain. But I was surprised there was no romance at all for any of the characters except for dead wives. I watched it as it came out weekly so I think I will binge watch it later and see if I like it better. It’s worth watching, not the run of mill silly girl and stuck up chaebol plot. More intriguing plot.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:55 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I just watched Bi Rain in Sketch. Love love love Rain. But I was surprised there was no romance at all for any of the characters except for dead wives. I watched it as it came out weekly so I think I will binge watch it later and see if I like it better. It’s worth watching, not the run of mill silly girl and stuck up chaebol plot. More intriguing plot.
It just finished, and it gets better as it goes along.

Never been a huge Rain fan, but really liked him in this.

I think they said from the beginning there would be no romance. I think Rain shies away from those, now that he's married and has a small child.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It just finished, and it gets better as it goes along.

Never been a huge Rain fan, but really liked him in this.

I think they said from the beginning there would be no romance. I think Rain shies away from those, now that he's married and has a small child.
That’s what I was thinking. It looks obvious that he didnt want any romance scenes. Well I’m glad he is happy with his new life.

It looked like it was low in the ratings. Hope it does better now that it’s over.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:02 PM

36 posts, read 14,133 times
Is there anyone left on the forum who likes korean dramas? I’m a huge fan of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia