Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 01:49 PM

361 posts, read 398,567 times

Advertisements

So I will be traveling to the Philippines in January. I'm excited as I have not traveled to countries besides S. Korea and Canada.

I have worked with Filipinos in the past, and even at my current workplace.

Now the question is, can I trust public transportation at the airport (NAIA in Manila) to take me to my hotel?

I have heard LOTS of horror stories of taxi cab drivers in the Philippines ripping off foreigners by driving them around in circles, or taking longer routes to the hotel to rack up the taxi fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 02:40 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,204,051 times
Best option is Uber. Some drivers might ask you if you have a preferred route as some seasoned riders think their routes are better, but they will oblige if you ask them to follow the Uber app route or Waze recommended route.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:46 PM

7 posts, read 7,444 times
They are just following the Waze apps in order to get the right directions and you will be arriving in exact time and exact payment according to the said apps. You don't have to worry about it, if you do, then try to get the plate number and take an emergency call. Choose Uber for the best as well.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:43 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico0 View Post
They are just following the Waze apps in order to get the right directions and you will be arriving in exact time and exact payment according to the said apps. You don't have to worry about it, if you do, then try to get the plate number and take an emergency call. Choose Uber for the best as well.
There is now a nice Tourist bus with different routes from the airport.
Google UBE express

Old 04-06-2018, 05:49 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Email your hotel and ask if they will arrange airport pickup. Even my little 900-peso B&B does that.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:59 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
The main thing you want in the Philippines is to have the taxi use the meter, many at the airports will try to give you a flat rate upon trying to exit the airport, that flat rate is usually double to quadruple what the meter would be, don't fall for that, insist on meter.

You can use the Grab app on your smart phone to see what it will cost you to get where you are going, it will show the low to the high cost depending on traffic and route, so if you have an unlocked phone then you can get a Smart sim at the airport and load the phone with one day of SURFMAX internet for p50 or pay your home provider for a roaming plan before leaving or buy a sim and load on ebay before leaving. The main thing is they use the meter, many taxis will take the longer route to avoid traffic, thus get you there faster and for less money in the long run, as above, Waze will show you the route.

Last, let me say what difference does it really make to most of us if they do get to cheat us somewhat when we arrive, as long as the hotel is not too far from the airport, then the most you can get cheated will be around p100 to p200, so around $2 to $4, not at all like what it would cost us if we get cheated in a big city in the U.S. or elsewhere, where it can cost an extra $20 to $40. Relax and enjoy your vacation, BTW, I am replying from Cebu, Philippines.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:14 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
I agree with MrLee, taxi fares are a great bargain in Philippines, and getting ripped off by one is still cheap. I live pretty far out in the suburbs of Cebu, a city of 4-million, and I can get home from anywhere in the metro for $5, even the airport, which is about an hour away.. Just make sure you get a meter, not a quote.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
I have a taxi tip, whenever I'm in Manila.

The traditional advice is to insist on the meter. For me, I figure out what the meter is supposed to call (I ask around to a few different people, and once I've taken the route a few times, I'll verify that).

But, let's say it's widely known to be about 80 from Ermita to Makati. I'll jump in a taxi, and immediately say 100 Makati...just get there me fast.

I've noticed that if I insist on a meter, they'll take me the worst way possible...but if I come across knowing the ballpark range, and quote just a little over it, they'll always take me.

If I don't give any quote, they will try to drastically overcharge if they can, and if I underbid, then I'm just being a dick because they might actually encounter traffic.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 04-07-2018 at 05:46 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 12:47 AM

317 posts, read 373,983 times
Will be flying into Manila tomorrow evening. We could do airport pickup to hotel ($20) or take a taxi to Makati which i gather would be less. One ride pick up company wanted $59 one way which is ridiculous.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:52 PM

11 posts, read 6,880 times
I am using one and the same taxi driver for the past 20 years. Percy Gonzales. I tell him when I arrive and he picks me up at the airport. Much better than taking airport taxis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia