Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2020, 11:01 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

This might sound crazy but...

I’ll be in Singapore from a Wednesday morning to Sunday evening and then heading on a cruise. I was wondering if it’s worth me flying over to Chennai on Thursday morning and coming back to Singapore on Friday morning/afternoon. The ticket is only about $250 and I’d just like to touch down in India and sightsee for a few hours.

For those who have been to Chennai, is that doable?

Guess it’s a bit personal for me just to reach India since it’s an ancestral land of mine.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Recommended short tours?

Old 01-11-2020, 07:25 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,973,235 times
Visas are high for India..but depends on citizenship. Rushing trips is an invitation for costly delays.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Visas are high for India..but depends on citizenship. Rushing trips is an invitation for costly delays.
I have American citizenship and would be applying for the e-visa ASAP. I am just wondering if I can set up a short day trip to see the major sites in Chennai and fly back to Singapore.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:46 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,973,235 times
Anything is possible, but if your ticket is on a different itenerary and it causes you to miss your connection, you are SOL, and it could cost you thousands to get home. I am an American living in Thailand for 6 years..usually, when someone tells me they are flying 15000 km for a five day trip, I just kind of laugh and walk away. A couple of months ago, a long list friend from high school came and brought her 8x year old mom to do a 8 day whirlwind to see everything. By day 5, they left the tour and mom was hospitalized with pneumonia.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Anything is possible, but if your ticket is on a different itenerary and it causes you to miss your connection, you are SOL, and it could cost you thousands to get home. I am an American living in Thailand for 6 years..usually, when someone tells me they are flying 15000 km for a five day trip, I just kind of laugh and walk away. A couple of months ago, a long list friend from high school came and brought her 8x year old mom to do a 8 day whirlwind to see everything. By day 5, they left the tour and mom was hospitalized with pneumonia.
Sorry what do you mean by “if your ticket is on a different itinerary?” I would be flying from Singapore to Chennai and Chennai back to Singapore (round trip). No connection.

This is a 14-day trip.

So really my question is about Chennai itself. I’ve now read about people doing quick turnarounds there.

Have you been to Chennai?

Any recommendations for tours, particularly that pick up from the airport?

Old 01-14-2020, 05:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Sure it's doable, but if you are flying from the US you will be wiped out when you arrive in Singapore, then you are going to jump on another plane? Why not fly directly to Chennai then to Singapore.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:48 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
This might sound crazy but...

I’ll be in Singapore from a Wednesday morning to Sunday evening and then heading on a cruise. I was wondering if it’s worth me flying over to Chennai on Thursday morning and coming back to Singapore on Friday morning/afternoon. The ticket is only about $250 and I’d just like to touch down in India and sightsee for a few hours.

For those who have been to Chennai, is that doable?

Guess it’s a bit personal for me just to reach India since it’s an ancestral land of mine.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Recommended short tours?
Logistics are doable, like others suggested above. I have been to Chennai several times. Not for touristic pursuits though.

It has an extraordinary array of places that you can shop. I personally love saree's, jewellery and the shop I visit (Kanakavalli, my personal favourite place on earth or even Nalli is good) takes me back to old India where everything is handwoven, beautiful and so so so "Indian".

There are a couple of temples I visit, again, not because its a tourist spot. It was the temple my great grand father used to go; so i go when i go to Chennai.

Do you have any idea what you may want to do in that 1 day? Its become so big now. You will be stuck in traffic a lot. a lot is an understatement, so go figure! Traffic can come to a standstill in the peak hours. Be prepared and plan accordingly.

I also like visiting the "market" there. They sell seasonal fruit and they are delicious. Its also the time where raw mangoes are sold. so delicious.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2020, 10:42 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Sorry what do you mean by “if your ticket is on a different itinerary?” I would be flying from Singapore to Chennai and Chennai back to Singapore (round trip). No connection.

This is a 14-day trip.

So really my question is about Chennai itself. I’ve now read about people doing quick turnarounds there.

Have you been to Chennai?

Any recommendations for tours, particularly that pick up from the airport?
I think you can skip Chennai and go to nearby KL by bus . There is nothing to see in that city. Its hot, crowded and difficult to communicate unless you know their local language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia