Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,249 times

Advertisements

Anybody else notice that a lot of Japanese people have very short limbs and long trunks, even compared to other Asian people? I even saw a study saying that young Japanese men are 6 cm shorter than Shandong Chinese but have similar sitting heights (92-93 cm). The discreptancy is even more apparent when they are compared to white Caucasians men, who are on average 7-8 cm taller than Japanese men but actually have slightly shorter sitting heights (91 cm)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 01:26 AM

1,893 posts, read 2,538,371 times
A pretty weird thread but I haven't noticed that at all, and I live in a state that has by far the highest percentage of people of Japanese ancestry (close to 20%) of any state. There are people of all races here and even if what you stated is true, I doubt anyone would notice, even if they were looking for differences. Of course average height studies are numerous but I've never seen a single study that measured sitting height.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:42 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,594,604 times
I remember when Yushin Okami fought Anderson Silva in UFC, the tale of the tape showed despite both fighters being 6'2 Silva had a 5" reach advantage over Okami. Friend of mine claimed Japanese fighters almost always a reach disadvantage against Western fighters with similar height, which I found interesting but never bothered to pay enough attention to find out if anecdotal in this one fight or actually a thing.

And WannaBeCPA yeah I agree this is a weird thread.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:28 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,489,187 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNlQQ-SX3X4

Old 04-07-2019, 07:04 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,881,519 times
oh man, it's that dude who's obsessed with the height of men in Shandong, China versus everyone else on earth, again...

Old 04-07-2019, 09:47 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,973,723 times
I can definitely see Japanese people as having shorter legs, proportionally, than even other Asians.

As we know, women typically have proportionally longer legs than men. It might seem like a slight disadvantage, then, for Asian women as their legs are proportionally shorter than Caucasian women.

I am a 6' 1" Chinese man and my inseam leg length is 33 inches or so. That seems average among 6'1" European men but among Asian men, I have proportionally long legs, with my leg to torso ratio resembling that of Asian women.

Although, I have a very long neck and a very long face, so much so that my shoulder height is actually lower than many men who are shorter than me. If I had a normal length neck and a normal length head, my legs would be proportionally long, even compared to European men.

So I have long legs and a short torso, but because my neck and face are long, I only come out to be average as far as my leg length is proportional to my height.

I don't know, maybe Japanese just have long necks and long faces compared to other people.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:15 AM

630 posts, read 527,440 times
I have noticed that, especially in women since I don't really look at men's bodies. Japanese girls tend to have legs are short and kind of arc-shaped. Japanese men tend to have shorter legs compared to their torso.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:08 PM

8,501 posts, read 6,916,225 times
Oh my. The only thing that is clear from this thread is there are actually people out there who have some kind of torso and limb fetish. Strange.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:14 PM

6,572 posts, read 12,079,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
I have noticed that, especially in women since I don't really look at men's bodies. Japanese girls tend to have legs are short and kind of arc-shaped. Japanese men tend to have shorter legs compared to their torso.
The only thing I've noticed is that Japanese women tend to be pigeon-toed.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:14 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,594,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Although, I have a very long neck and a very long face, so much so that my shoulder height is actually lower than many men who are shorter than me.
If you've ever read scouting reports for the NBA combine, they call this "wasted height" since with long neck and head your height has a higher percentage that has no physical advantage on the basketball court.

It's the reason standing reach has become the preferred measure (instead of height) for prospects where they just have them stand flat footed with their arms straight up, since takes into account both wingspan and wasted height to determine true practical reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia