Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

What are some Japanese restaurants or restaurants serving Japanese cuisine in your areas that are frequented by Japanese and Japanese Americans?

Most of the Japanese restaurants or restaurants attempting to serve Japanese style cuisine, in my area, are run by Chinese in fact. They mostly cater to the non Japanese crowd. They do a lot of all you can eat sushi, with tempura, teriyaki, and the what nots. My area is the NYC metro. These seem like the only option around.

I am going to imagine that this is the same in most of the major metros like SoCal, Nor Cal, Chicago. But what are some actual authentic Japanese restaurants in your area that is frequented by Japanese, and Japanese americans, and not catering to tourists or people who are just looking for the sushi, tempura, teriyaki stereotype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:46 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What are some Japanese restaurants or restaurants serving Japanese cuisine in your areas that are frequented by Japanese and Japanese Americans?

Most of the Japanese restaurants or restaurants attempting to serve Japanese style cuisine, in my area, are run by Chinese in fact. They mostly cater to the non Japanese crowd. They do a lot of all you can eat sushi, with tempura, teriyaki, and the what nots. My area is the NYC metro. These seem like the only option around.

I am going to imagine that this is the same in most of the major metros like SoCal, Nor Cal, Chicago. But what are some actual authentic Japanese restaurants in your area that is frequented by Japanese, and Japanese americans, and not catering to tourists or people who are just looking for the sushi, tempura, teriyaki stereotype?
Many if not all of the sushi places or Japanese BBQ places I have been to in SoCal are run by Japanese people. Some of the more hip chain places like Gyu-Kaku have a mix of younger servers, hostesses, etc. who are Japanese, Vietnamese, some Chinese, however.

I don't normally see the mix you are talking about where I live. Chinese places are mostly run by Chinese people here, and same goes for the Japanese and Vietnamese places around me.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:15 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Sagami in Collingswood, NJ. It's in my top five. There were always Asians in the restaurant. Sometime, most of the patrons were Asian. If I wanted Chinese, Vietnamese, something else, I went to Philadelphia.

I'll never eat raw fish at an "all you can eat" buffet. You may as well go outside and lick the sidewalk.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:17 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
http://komachi.us

Welcome to Sakana-Ya

sushi

Old 02-28-2015, 01:57 PM

312 posts, read 482,008 times
My buddy (who is Cantonese) told me that the Chinatown restaurants have a separate menu with real Chinese food for Chinese people and then another for us unrefined Caucasians who like General Tsos Chicken

Old 02-28-2015, 05:05 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
There are some Japanese restaurants in San Jose Japantown and San Francisco's Japantown, which are still run by Japanese and Japanese-Americans. You can usually tell by the attentive Japanese manners and politeness of the staff.

Some Japanese restaurants here in the Bay Area are run by Chinese or Koreans. The service and food ranges from excellent to average. In most cases, you can tell the difference. I once went to a sushi restaurant run by non-Japanese and has a sashimi filet that was frozen, when I bit into it. Ugh!

Old 02-28-2015, 05:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Outside the west coast, there's not much of a Japanese population, so it's a hard question to answer. In California (and of course Hawaii) most Japanese would be owned by those of Japanese descent. New York has some, and I remember meeting a few people of Japanese descent in New York, but their numbers are small compared to Chinese and Koreans and the overall % relatively low:

Japanese-American Population Data | Asia Matters for America by the East-West Center

Old 03-01-2015, 02:42 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Outside the west coast, there's not much of a Japanese population, so it's a hard question to answer. In California (and of course Hawaii) most Japanese would be owned by those of Japanese descent. New York has some, and I remember meeting a few people of Japanese descent in New York, but their numbers are small compared to Chinese and Koreans and the overall % relatively low:
I agree and would throw in Washington DC where you see a considerable number of Japanese diplomats, press corps and visiting professionals in the many excellent Japanese restaurants in town.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 PM

722 posts, read 1,329,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
My buddy (who is Cantonese) told me that the Chinatown restaurants have a separate menu with real Chinese food for Chinese people and then another for us unrefined Caucasians who like General Tsos Chicken
those types of restaurants usually have Chinese menus posted on the walls hand written in Chinese, since very few non Chinese can read it.

usually specials of the day or seasonal dishes, etc

Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
The first place that comes to mind is Mitsuwa Market. I've only been to the ones in San Diego and Chicago but they both have food court areas that are quite clearly authentically Japanese and filled with Japanese patrons. Really phenomenal food too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.