Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 06:26 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times

Advertisements

Here btw another anti-chinese article about the China's influence in Eastern Europe, though it's just about the EU part of eastern europe, not russia/belarus:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/04/11...astern-europe/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 10:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
I think for some time China was a bit like newly rich people in the West. They had all that money and didn't really know what to do with it. They had no investment strategy, and their experience with foreign cultures was limited. I guess investing in the EU is particularly challenging, lots of red tape and regulations.

In hindsight China might also have realized that Eastern Europe is not really attractive to begin with, much less so than the places they invest nowadays.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think for some time China was a bit like newly rich people in the West. They had all that money and didn't really know what to do with it. They had no investment strategy, and their experience with foreign cultures was limited. I guess investing in the EU is particularly challenging, lots of red tape and regulations.

In hindsight China might also have realized that Eastern Europe is not really attractive to begin with, much less so than the places they invest nowadays.

Even if we assume the Brits are right and eastern europe are just retards compared to the ultra smart Indians/Blacks then this still doesn't change EE's extremely important geopolitical location as connection between Europe and Asia. In other words they're not investing in people but places, EE can easily block their Silk Road and crash their economy so they'll rely on selling Huawei to Americans (bad idea) or aliexpress sales to Russia (not too much $$$), or getting loan repayments from Africa.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/...oad-explainer/

Old 04-25-2019, 11:25 AM

No, China does not really need the Silk Road, it is just a long-term add-on to their economy. And it does not depend on the EU including Eastern Europe, the importance of the EU is shrinking and shrinking. The lion's share of the economic potential is outside the EU, notably in Asia and Africa.

You are overestimating the role of the West. Huawei is growing most of all because of its success in Asia and other world regions, they don't even sell their stuff in the US if I am not mistaken. Yet, that doesn't hurt them.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, China does not really need the Silk Road, it is just a long-term add-on to their economy. And it does not depend on the EU including Eastern Europe, the importance of the EU is shrinking and shrinking. The lion's share of the economic potential is outside the EU, notably in Asia and Africa.

Yeah especially India where 35% of the female population can't read or Brunei where they stone gays.

Sometimes it's not easy to tell who picks worse people to idolize: far right trump supporters with their favorite Russia or the left with their love for the mbongo-mnbongos from africa.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:43 AM

"mbongo-mnbongos from africa" sounds racist to me...

Anyway, that is the point. Potential is where people are catching up, not in places that are already saturated like the US or the EU. Indonesia for instance has more than a quarter of a billion inhabitants. I.e. a huge market. Booming Ethiopia more than 100 million, i.e. more than any EU country. And so on.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:19 PM

I think it's clear from my previous posts I'm not anti-asia at all, couldn't care less about eye shape or anything but mean overall these places are very backwards. With the exception of Korea, Japan, Taiwan as well as purely speaking about moral level: Tibet. Everything else is at a very early stage of development, the same can be said about Africa. Consider Nigeria with all that oil they can be quite rich but corruption and the division Islam-Christianity keeps them behind.

Even if you "expand" it to the middle east or SEA then Singapore was found by a Briton and Hong Kong owes its wealth mostly thanks to British colonialism...or UAE/Dubai: I've even lived there and it was in its best years around 2011-12, these days it's going downwards just like China.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:42 PM

Your views are so off, I don't even know whether or not you are being serious...
If you are, you will be in for a surprise as your Western view of the world is overtaken by reality...

Old 04-25-2019, 12:48 PM

And since you claim not be racist, what do you mean by "mbongo-mnbongos from africa"?

Old 04-25-2019, 03:20 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I think it's clear from my previous posts I'm not anti-asia at all, couldn't care less about eye shape or anything but mean overall these places are very backwards. With the exception of Korea, Japan, Taiwan as well as purely speaking about moral level: Tibet.
I don't understand why so many Europeans idealize Tibet. I understand they dislike/hate Chinese, but that does not justify their super romantic view of Tibet.

Before the Chinese communists took over, it was a theocratic serfdom where the vast majority had next to zero "rights" or "freedom", not to mention the poverty.
The "religion" part is no that romantic either. Human bones and skin were used to make instruments. Yes, they MURDERED virgin girls and used the skin to make drums, among other things. There was a famous song about it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Drum

In traditional Tibetan culture, Sister Drum, whose drumhead is made out of a pure girl's skin, was used for honoring the god. This behavior has now been prohibited in modern Tibet. This studio 'Sister Drum' is based on this cruel context. Only the skin of a pure girl could be chosen to make the drumhead. To prevent them from disturbing in the real world, those girls are better mutes. If it is necessary, sometimes their tongues would be cut out.

At least the communists told the serfs humans are all born equal and taught them modern science.

Tibetan people are not all saints either. They are just like every people in the world. Some are kind, some are evil, some are generous, some are greedy. When I traveled to a Tibetan region in early 1990s as a child, I remember some local vendors were very aggressive and pushy. People got humiliated when refusing a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia