Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 10:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

North China VS South China: Stereotypes & Generalizations

I found this and was hoping to generate discussion from this:
https://www.echinacities.com/expat-l...ns-and-Bigotry

I cannot copy and paste it here, but please take a look at the link and let's comment based on it.

My own personal feelings...

1) The article speaks to Northern Chinese as being loud and rowdy and so forth...and myself being down here near Guangzhou, there is some comments referring to some of the South (Guangzhou as the example) as being the same.

What do you think any basis to that? Let's take a look at the above link and get a discussion going. Also, does anyone think the author of the linked article has a bias himself/herself in what he says about the two different groups. Do you think it is accurate?

Feel free to add other comments in regards to this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 12:59 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
For Chinese people, the difference between urban people and "peasants" is the major difference, and regional difference is second to that.

There is a special reason for that: in Mao's era, urban residents were typically government employees (including those in state-run factories). They had secured food and housing, free healthcare, free education. Peasants, on the other hand, were on their own. Therefore the values and lifestyles were quite different.

That being said, regional differences are very prominent too, especially because there are so many dialects in China.
People in north China enforce gender roles more. People in southeast China are more likely to be businessmen and have unique traditions. People in southwest China are laid-back and spend a lot of money on food and entertainment. (All have many exceptions.)

Old 06-21-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
For Chinese people, the difference between urban people and "peasants" is the major difference, and regional difference is second to that.

There is a special reason for that: in Mao's era, urban residents were typically government employees (including those in state-run factories). They had secured food and housing, free healthcare, free education. Peasants, on the other hand, were on their own. Therefore the values and lifestyles were quite different.

That being said, regional differences are very prominent too, especially because there are so many dialects in China.
People in north China enforce gender roles more. People in southeast China are more likely to be businessmen and have unique traditions. People in southwest China are laid-back and spend a lot of money on food and entertainment. (All have many exceptions.)
That's pretty interesting, the 'urban' and 'peasants' distinction. I definitely meet both kinds, and they are night and day.

It's also interesting the 'One Child Policy' as it seems to prominent and all-encompassing, but then you hear about rural China where people just did whatever they wanted ignoring that law (or I get the impression of that anyway).

Old 06-21-2019, 04:00 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
well is it true the north almost never eats dogs? That is in Beijing almost nobody does it but in the south-east it's very common?

Old 06-21-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
well is it true the north almost never eats dogs? That is in Beijing almost nobody does it but in the south-east it's very common?
That's interesting, as I lived in South Korea for years, and they eat dog there....and Vietnam also eats down. I always felt like Northeast China reminded me a lot of South Korea - i.e. drinking culture, behavior of people, etc.

But Vietnam is connected with Guangdong in South China too though..

So, interesting question!

Old 06-21-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
No longer did I post the above but 'china dog eating' came up in my Facebook feed...??!!

Yulin, South China:
"‘It’s horrible’: The brutal festival where dogs are beaten and boiled alive"
https://au.news.yahoo.com/we-are-tak...rnkiMFH_30gneq

Old 06-21-2019, 10:57 AM

I know it's outlawed in Hong Kong since like forever (1950s)...let's pretend HK is "China" . But srs I don't know I've even heard the ones who do it are indeed from SK. I know Japan for one doesn't do it, they don't even eat horse meat there.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Very few people eat dogs in China, although it is not prohibited.
Only a few places have that tradition. Generally speaking, Guangxi and western Guangdong consume more dog meat.
Also some parts in Jilin (ethnic Koreans), Guizhou and northern Jiangsu.
Even in those regions. only some people eat dogs.

If you ask a random person in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Wuhan... most likely he has never tried it.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:10 PM

Thanks, i know it's common in korea though which sucks...

other question:

How rich is Shenzhen? Friend came back from there recently, called 'rich' couple of times...it was the first time I even hear about this place.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks, i know it's common in korea though which sucks...

other question:

How rich is Shenzhen? Friend came back from there recently, called 'rich' couple of times...it was the first time I even hear about this place.
Shenzhen is one of the four "top tier" cities in mainland China. The others are Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.
It is famous for high tech industry (Huawei, ZTE, tencent...). The air quality is relatively good and it is close to Hong Kong, so many expats like there.

Shenzhen is probably the fastest growing city in human history. In 1980, the population was 300,000, but now it is 12.5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia