Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 PM

67 posts, read 148,691 times

Advertisements

What advice would you give a northerner planning a move to Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,336 times
Don't move to Dallas. You won't like it here and we don't want to change Dallas to be like wherever it is you're from.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:26 AM

Obviously your defensive nature is preventing you from comprehending my question. Otherwise you wouldn't be so evasive lol

I'm curious about the culture in the South, affectionately so.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Yeah...I am not sure that Dallas really epitomizes 'culture in the South.'

It's like a lot of other big cities. Some good points, some...less good points. What do you specifically want to know?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:46 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,689 times
I´ll try to answer your question as a newbie to Dallas.

I would say that overall, I didn't know much about DFW other than it was large, growing and has a great economy compared to the rest of the country. I had heard that things are always big in Texas too.

Basically that is all true. Roads are huge, interchanges are massive, stores and malls are humongous, there is a lot of land here.

There is a strong presence of Southern, Western and Midwestern cultures here. The regoin seems to be Conservative, but Dallas itself is more Progressive.

I know that Dallas was said to be ultra hot, but having moved here in November on the cusp of the coldet and snowiest winter in 30 years, I can say it DOES get cold and snow here.

Other than that, you can expect to find friendly, polite people. Lots of diversity...there are people from everywhere here...most people are happy to adapt to Dallas and don't try to change it because so many things work the way they are done here.

You will enjoy Dallas unless you are looking for a small town atmosphere.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Just don't fall into the habit of saying "we did it" so-and-so way back home! Anyone outside of the north just cringes when transplants say that. If back home was so great, why did you move?

People from outside the northern regions are generally more open so don't be surprised to find people giving you a little smile and saying "morning' " or some small chitchat while in a store. People make eye contact on the street, too. Being brash is not favored.

I think you will be just fine if you are open to new experiences!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I´ll try to answer your question as a newbie to Dallas.

I would say that overall, I didn't know much about DFW other than it was large, growing and has a great economy compared to the rest of the country. I had heard that things are always big in Texas too.

Basically that is all true. Roads are huge, interchanges are massive, stores and malls are humongous, there is a lot of land here.

There is a strong presence of Southern, Western and Midwestern cultures here. The regoin seems to be Conservative, but Dallas itself is more Progressive.

I know that Dallas was said to be ultra hot, but having moved here in November on the cusp of the coldet and snowiest winter in 30 years, I can say it DOES get cold and snow here.

Other than that, you can expect to find friendly, polite people. Lots of diversity...there are people from everywhere here...most people are happy to adapt to Dallas and don't try to change it because so many things work the way they are done here.

You will enjoy Dallas unless you are looking for a small town atmosphere.
Thanks! Yes I've heard that it's quite the melting pot, lots of people from all over. Something like half of the population isn't native to the region? I'm sort of fascinated by 'Southern' personalities you see on television and in print. I just wondered what it was like, in general as I said. I'll find out for myself, but it's nice to hear from people that live there already

Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Just don't fall into the habit of saying "we did it" so-and-so way back home! Anyone outside of the north just cringes when transplants say that. If back home was so great, why did you move?
I doubt they're trying to one up you Southerners by describing the difference.. lol they're probably just proclaiming their surprise. Culture shocks take time to get used to

Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
I know alot more people in Dallas that are either from California, Chicago, and Mexico than from Texas itself.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Dallas is not Southern, it's Texan. And most people around here (Lakewood) are natives of Dallas and Texas although we do have a good presence of people from all over the world. Also we are known as one of the more liberal areas but we do have a lot of conservatives. Most of us are 'live and let live' types and don't push religious or political agendas on each other - however a lot of folks are active in political campaigns and various causes. Being friendly, loyal and supporting the community are important attributes in my part of Dallas. We have a lot of independent thinkers, mavericks and many artistic and/or entrepreneurial people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas