Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 10:18 AM

497 posts, read 696,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
You can hide the number of infected but you can't hide the number of hospitalized and dead -- unless you're of the opinion that Japanese hospitals and funeral parlors are in on the conspiracy too.
True - but are they classifying the hospitalizations and death as something else? Maybe just pneumonia?

Here's an article from Kyodo News. I just find it odd that they had to write that the comedian died from "coronavirus-related pneumonia." Why not just coronavirus? Makes me wonder what would have been put on the death certificate had this person not been a celebrity.

Japanese comedian Ken Shimura dies of coronavirus-related pneumonia
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...infection.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 02:00 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,100 times
Some celebrities of Japan were eating noodles together recently in a large group.
This has been strongly discouraged or illegal in other countries right now.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:25 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,179 times
why is Japan not taking this more seriously! It's like they're only starting their quarantine process now that the Olympics have been officially pushed out.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/busin...ntl/index.html

Old 04-03-2020, 12:46 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
why is Japan not taking this more seriously! It's like they're only starting their quarantine process now that the Olympics have been officially pushed out.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/busin...ntl/index.html
You answered your question with the second part of your statement. In other news, I found face masks in Nakano. Also no panic buying and we can get whatever necessities we need from the supermarket/combini's. Still debating heading up to Hokkaido.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:22 PM

497 posts, read 696,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
You answered your question with the second part of your statement. In other news, I found face masks in Nakano. Also no panic buying and we can get whatever necessities we need from the supermarket/combini's. Still debating heading up to Hokkaido.
Not sure if you saw it, but the US Embassy in Japan sent out an alert today to all Americans living in and currently visiting Japan. The alert says that all US Citizens living in Japan should make arrangements immediately if they wish to return to the US.

For US Citizens who live in the US but are currently in Japan, they should arrange for immediate return to the US, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:27 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I don't know about Japan specifically but because there is a greater number of people wearing mask in Asia than in the west they are probably more available until real panic sets in as it has over most of the industrial world. I have been seeing mask express mailed from Korea and Taiwan to extended family in America

Old 04-04-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira kira View Post
Not sure if you saw it, but the US Embassy in Japan sent out an alert today to all Americans living in and currently visiting Japan. The alert says that all US Citizens living in Japan should make arrangements immediately if they wish to return to the US.

For US Citizens who live in the US but are currently in Japan, they should arrange for immediate return to the US, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
Japan also changed immigration slightly http://www.moj.go.jp/content/001316300.pdf. 3 month extension for all visas that are ending up to June and inclusion of Temporary Visitors. I'm going to head to Tachikawa on Monday to get it done asap.

Between cost, availability of food, the fact my girlfriend doesn't have health insurance, and that my apartment is in NYC, I'm staying put for the foreseeable future. I also don't trust traveling right now nor Trump/US's handling of this, even if Japan isn't exactly doing great either.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I don't know about Japan specifically but because there is a greater number of people wearing mask in Asia than in the west they are probably more available until real panic sets in as it has over most of the industrial world. I have been seeing mask express mailed from Korea and Taiwan to extended family in America
It seems hit or miss in Japan, especially given that we're in Tokyo. A lot of places we go to masks are unavailable, but Nakano keeps surprising. No up charge either at the combini. Akihabara/Ochanomizu was a different story.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:11 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times
Japan kills it, literally and figuratively speaking.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:15 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Coronavirus: Japan to declare emergency as Tokyo cases soar

As of Friday Japan had still only tested a total of 40,000 people. The infection rate seems to be increasing at a notably higher clip than the testing rate, suggesting Japan has a much bigger problem on its hands than the official numbers are letting on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia