Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityandmore View Post
Wow, that thread title is really something else. I'm quite shocked anyone would generalize an entire culture like that based on just a few weeks visiting. Every place has jerks, but most people are decent enough. Too bad that person had some rude encounters, but writing off a whole country and it's people seems extremely unfair. I've heard Korea can take some getting used to for foreigners, but plenty enjoy living and visiting there too once they understand the cultural differences. What a shame this experience left such a bad impression instead of an opportunity to learn.
I agree with this assessment.

I lived in Japan as a child and I have visited Seoul before. I think it's very important to understand that Asians are not WESTERN THINKERS. Once we understand that, things often go more smoothly. I mean, we expect things to be sort of the same and they really, really just aren't, fundamentally. And that's fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 09:41 PM

1,136 posts, read 523,904 times
In winter, both Japan and South Korea have many incoming foreign tourists, they are popular holiday destinations in Asia.

If you can read Asian internet forum in asian languages, you can find many racists posts and other negative opinions about different behaviors, foreigners' or immigrants' looks and skin color, with derogatory terms commonly used. Such discussion are not allowed or frown upon in western countries with ethnic diversity.

Xenophobia is very strong in many asian countries. There is discrimination against people from other parts of the same country in the cities too.

South Koreans are more direct than Japanese and most westerners when expressing dissatisfaction.
Japanese women are less direct and feminine than Koreans and Chinese.
When Asians hate foreigners, means both westerners and other asians are included. Other Asians with the same skin color are also hated. Foreign relations between neighboring asian countries are mostly not good as in Europe and the Americas.

In general, those that work in the tourism industry are polite, and they may speak fluent English, Japanese or Chinese. You may need luck with other types of people in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I lived in Japan for 4 years and Korea for 1 year.

The Japanese privately hate foreigners just as much as Koreans and have endless businesses that are completely off limits to foreigners. The Japanese rather have a negative birthrate than accept immigrants from any country and, if they could, they would tell all US troops to leave. They just don't openly show it because they ironically have the best customer service in the world. As a rule of thumb, most urban areas are far more foreign/tourist/expat friendly than rural areas. And as another rule of thumb, women of any country are far more tolerant of foreigners than men are.

Now Korea is different, they don't pretend or hide or fake it, they'll cuss you out if you upset them. They'll give you bad customer service, and they'll tell you how they really feel.

At the end of the day, both countries are still amazing to visit and live in. But if you're a foreigner, there will be times where you will be reminded of it.

Bingo. This is correct.

Old 01-13-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
In winter, both Japan and South Korea have many incoming foreign tourists, they are popular holiday destinations in Asia.

If you can read Asian internet forum in asian languages, you can find many racists posts and other negative opinions about different behaviors, foreigners' or immigrants' looks and skin color, with derogatory terms commonly used. Such discussion are not allowed or frown upon in western countries with ethnic diversity.

Xenophobia is very strong in many asian countries. There is discrimination against people from other parts of the same country in the cities too.

South Koreans are more direct than Japanese and most westerners when expressing dissatisfaction.
Japanese women are less direct and feminine than Koreans and Chinese.
When Asians hate foreigners, means both westerners and other asians are included. Other Asians with the same skin color are also hated. Foreign relations between neighboring asian countries are mostly not good as in Europe and the Americas.

In general, those that work in the tourism industry are polite, and they may speak fluent English, Japanese or Chinese. You may need luck with other types of people in the country.
Hey, all I want is for them to be polite to me and I plan to be polite to them. They can talk all they want to about me, just treat me politely.

It should still be pretty cold in Korea in March, we'll see!

Old 01-14-2024, 12:17 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
A couple bottles of Soju and everything will be fine.

Old 01-15-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
A couple bottles of Soju and everything will be fine.
Amen to that.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:32 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
They didn't like your vibe no more no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia