Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 11:07 PM

8,873 posts, read 8,464,126 times

Advertisements

China’s healthcare is a joke.

And lol @ 4000 CNY = 50 USD. Actually that day might come when China’s economy goes to ****. You never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 01:17 AM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Well yeah, it's not hard to believe that capitalism does not lead to democracy. As I said in another post China is now like one big corporation with its own branding and Xi Jin Ping is its CEO. All the underlings in a corporation must do as the CEO says and they must all perform to the best of expectations right? How different is that from working for a private corporation in a Western nation? Do corporate employees get to publicly criticize their company policy or openly make fun of their bosses on social media without repercussions? Is that realm what you call a free and liberal democracy?
You can also quit your job without getting thrown in a labour camp or getting executed by a firing squad

Old 01-23-2022, 03:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 481,533 times
No representation allowed in China. Democracy. There is still a rich and ruling class and a poor class. So if you were born into either class, that's where you'll be the rest of your life. Rich or poor. And that's it. Getting out of the slumps in China is difficult.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:28 PM

7,537 posts, read 11,381,555 times
Even if you think western style democracy isn't for everyone. I'd think having a free independent,uncensored press should be found in any country.

Quote:
Journalists covering the Winter Olympics next month say they’ll do their work in Beijing on brand-new cellphones and laptops. When the Games are over, they’ll simply leave them behind or throw them away.

The reason: Reporters are concerned that any devices they use there could become infected with tracking software, enabling Chinese authorities to spy on their contents. Hence, the use of “burner” phones and computers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...430_story.html

Old 01-24-2022, 06:21 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,922,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Even if you think western style democracy isn't for everyone. I'd think having a free independent,uncensored press should be found in any country.
Chinese placing tracking/spyware on PC's and phones is standard practice. Everytime I go there for business I return with a laptop with full of spyware, people coming into my room when I am not there (caught them once), people monitoring where I go, etc.
Freedom of press is an issue of course, but really the goals all of this is for PRC to steal - steal technology, steal information, and also to get backdoors into mainframe systems to do damage (i.e. hack).

Old 01-24-2022, 12:22 PM

671 posts, read 316,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
No representation allowed in China. Democracy. There is still a rich and ruling class and a poor class. So if you were born into either class, that's where you'll be the rest of your life. Rich or poor. And that's it. Getting out of the slumps in China is difficult.
how is that in hawaii? I assume there isn't much african american slumps there is it?

Old 01-24-2022, 12:25 PM

what makes you think capitalism leads to democracy? capitalism leads to imperialism if you actually know history.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:44 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
what makes you think capitalism leads to democracy? capitalism leads to imperialism if you actually know history.
The Baltic states, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, et al are much more democratic these days, especially compared to under Communism. Look at China, the capitalist KMT-led ROC on Taiwan became a democracy, while the PRC has continued to be one of the most horrific human rights abuser on the planet for its entire 70 year rule. Same thing with North and South Korea. Capitalism is a flawed system, but compared to Communism it’s a much better option for peoples freedoms. The real issue with capitalism is how the elites use the word “Communist” to weaponize against any sort of social programs like universal healthcare or tuition-free education. Also the level of monopolies large corporations like Facebook, Amazon and Wal-Mart have has disproven the fallacy that the pie grows as the lion takes a bigger share. Most people think we can fix all these issues by tweaking the system as it exists now, rather than abolishing it completely.

Last edited by pdw; 01-24-2022 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-24-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The Baltic states, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, et al are much more democratic these days, especially compared to under Communism. Look at China, the capitalist KMT-led ROC on Taiwan became a democracy, while the PRC has continued to be one of the most horrific human rights abuser on the planet for its entire 70 year rule. Same thing with North and South Korea. Capitalism is a flawed system, but compared to Communism it’s a much better option for peoples freedoms. The real issue with capitalism is how the elites use the word “Communist” to weaponize against any sort of social programs like universal healthcare or tuition-free education. Also the level of monopolies large corporations like Facebook, Amazon and Wal-Mart have has disproven the fallacy that the pie grows as the lion takes a bigger share. Most people think we can fix all these issues by tweaking the system as it exists now, rather than abolishing it completely.
how do you define democracy and democratic anyways?

capitalism means exactly the same thing in chinese and english. but democracy is more open to interpretation.

I can easily argue that china is more democratic than the US if you want to hear it. Again democracy means "people rule" in chinese, it's just that the way that people rule in china is different than the way people rule in the USA.

but my point is that capitalism (an economic system), has nothing to do with democracy.

and so is communism, but china is neither at this point, so is every other country in this world. It's the level of control that's different. it's the left vs right here in the US

Old 01-24-2022, 03:16 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
how do you define democracy and democratic anyways?

capitalism means exactly the same thing in chinese and english. but democracy is more open to interpretation.

I can easily argue that china is more democratic than the US if you want to hear it. Again democracy means "people rule" in chinese, it's just that the way that people rule in china is different than the way people rule in the USA.

but my point is that capitalism (an economic system), has nothing to do with democracy.

and so is communism, but china is neither at this point, so is every other country in this world. It's the level of control that's different. it's the left vs right here in the US
Sure “people rule”, but the only “people” eligible are members of the Communist Party. By that definition, the Qing Emperors were democratic rulers as well, because they were people too, after all! The Communist Party’s Newspeak is beyond pathetic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia