Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 PM

335 posts, read 423,893 times

Advertisements

It is interesting that China condones public shaming.

Beijing is embarrassed about unruly Chinese tourists and plans to ‘publicly shame’ them - The Washington Post

After a spate of incidents involving Chinese nationals abroad, Li Jinzao, head of China's National Tourism Administration, was reported to have said that records would be kept of problem tourists, with tourists "ranked" on the severity of their misbehavior. These tourists would receive messages reminding them to behave when they landed at their destination. If they disobeyed, they would be punished.

Li also announced a new tactic to improve tourists' behavior: Public shaming. He encouraged Chinese tourists to take photos or video of bad behavior they spot and pass it on to authorities. The evidence would then be publicized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:12 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
What a genius move. Chinese tourists are gonna behave civilized from now on!

China has some of the dumbest policies which are supposed to appear in C rate comedy shows, tbh. Like who the **** came up with this kind of bull****?

Anyway the Chinese tourists who give out bad impression are usually tourist groups, individual tourists are usually as normal as any one else.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Young generation has already been much better than the old. It's a matter of time.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:31 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,012 times
Chinese tourists are among the best behaved in my opinion.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:31 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
I hope they start that campaign with the mainland tourists who come to Macau!

Old 01-23-2015, 02:23 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Chinese tourists are among the best behaved in my opinion.
I Know you've traveled Asia, so I'm not discounting your opinion, but ask your average Singaporean, Indonesian, Malaysian, HK, or Thai about that. This may have even once been ture, but with the rise of middle class mainlanders, there is whole new more "rough around the edges" class of Chinese traveling primarily in Asia.
Attached Thumbnails
China plans to publicly shame its unruly tourists abroad-1421989115262-1-.jpg  

Old 01-23-2015, 03:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,134,844 times
I agree with one of the above poster's observation...it's only the Chinese tourist groups who can be annoying. And usually it's mostly just that they're really loud.

German male tourists can be pretty bad too, IMO. Not loud, but kind of demanding and easily grumpy. I understand some German, and I've heard them getting snippy with others several times.

Americans can be pretty bad in the sense of being too loud, overly friendly and chatty, and generally oblivious. They're actually getting better about this, but I still see it when I travel.

The WORST in my opinion ... Japanese tourists. Always with the cameras, stopping abruptly in random places to take random selfies, being obsessed enough to actually have selfie sticks for their camera (I don't know what they're called), crowding others, etc. It's a little creepy to think of how many Japanese selfies that one half of my head is probably in.

Luckily, I usually try to get to more remote parts of the country I'm in, so I don't really encounter many tourists once I'm out the main cities.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Anyway the Chinese tourists who give out bad impression are usually tourist groups, individual tourists are usually as normal as any one else.
In New Zealand, Chinese tourists driving rental cars badly (and often on the wrong side of the road) have been held responsible for several deaths.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Some humans tend to act in ways other humans do not want them to act, "public shaming" won't stop this from happening.

Most people who act the way they act are not even ashamed of themselves and don't really care what others think in the first place so you won't really be publicly shaming them in the first place, they would probably just feel weirded out by someone recording them like they are some kind of celebrity.

And yes i live in a rich community with a small number of Chinese expats and i always see them doing weird **** but i just go about my day since it doesn't really bother me.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:25 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I agree with one of the above poster's observation...it's only the Chinese tourist groups who can be annoying. And usually it's mostly just that they're really loud.

German male tourists can be pretty bad too, IMO. Not loud, but kind of demanding and easily grumpy. I understand some German, and I've heard them getting snippy with others several times.

Americans can be pretty bad in the sense of being too loud, overly friendly and chatty, and generally oblivious. They're actually getting better about this, but I still see it when I travel.

The WORST in my opinion ... Japanese tourists. Always with the cameras, stopping abruptly in random places to take random selfies, being obsessed enough to actually have selfie sticks for their camera (I don't know what they're called), crowding others, etc. It's a little creepy to think of how many Japanese selfies that one half of my head is probably in.

Luckily, I usually try to get to more remote parts of the country I'm in, so I don't really encounter many tourists once I'm out the main cities.
Oh the "Beach Towel Brigade" !!!! BUt waht's with the young Brits and "logging"? Keeping more to Asia, Bogan Australians are more of scourge in SEA than any other group, except maybe PRC. Different reasons for the two. They basically treat SEA how their American counterparts treat Florida, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

Pcs are "Bogan" SEA tourists and logging. Apparently the logging is being committed by the English counterparts.
Attached Thumbnails
China plans to publicly shame its unruly tourists abroad-1421251053270-1-.jpg   China plans to publicly shame its unruly tourists abroad-1421983190515-1-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia