Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:22 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times

Advertisements

A few threads (elsewhere) have spurred this post.

I Believe:

Humans are more important than automobiles.

Humans are more valuable than money.

Humans are more worthwhile than corporations.

Humans, in general, have a lot of Really Good Ideas. We also have our fair share of really really Bad ones.

Math and Science are Good Things.

So often web sites and even posts on this forume tend to focus on what the atheist/agnostic does NOT believe in.

I'd like to hear from a few more "positive thinkers" on this thread.

So tell me, what DO you believe???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
I believe;

Love conquers many things

Humans are slowly evolving and will become more tolerant and kind eventually

We have to learn to enjoy the small things, the mundane

People have the power to change the world

Life is beautiful

Nature is something we must treasure and protect

Children are our future, teach them well

We touch those around us without even trying

Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
I believe

1. Working for the betterment of humanity is more important than trying to work to get into an afterlife.

2. There are things in life that are worth pursueing, worth chasing and worth loving. Those things are people, dreams; real things, not undetectable deities.

3. Science and reason are more reliable in the search for truth rather than faith.

4. Values such as reason , honor and empathy form a much better moral foundation than religious prescriptions.

5. Life is worth embracing. Time spent on real people and things that you actually love doing is better than time spent on supernatural mythology.

6. Humans are not worthless nor unworthy.

7. Humans, not god should be given credit for their accomplishments.

8. The best life is based on fulfillment, love and ethical behavior.

9. Meaning and fulfillment come from within. True meaning is not dictated by a third party, but rather what gives you enjoyment.

10. Time spent on hatred, negativity and fear is time gone to waste.

11. Religions, nor any transcendent belief for that matter does not have a monopoly on morality, happiness or fulfullment.

12. People are not property. They do not deserve to be owned by any tyranny or despot, whether that be god, government or some controlling nimrod.

13. As Greydon Square says,'we should make lords of our children.' Children are precious and we should cherish and protect them rather than wasting time on harmless acts like homosexuality.

14. People are equal. No one is less worthy or less human because of their race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 09-13-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
I believe this is a great thread!

I believe dogs are really special.

I believe in being kind to others, especially to those who are less fortunate than myself.

I believe if you approach life with a smile on your face and a friendly attitude people will treat you the same in return.

I believe life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I believe that most people are good people.

I believe that life is great, and every day is special.

I believe that all things are temporary, and should be savored if it is a good thing, and faced calmly if it is a bad thing.

I believe you should give compliments often, even to strangers.

I believe that most religious people are not crazy, just a small percentage of them.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:00 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
I believe...in myself.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Default Gut reactions..

I believe..

In sound logic and evidence - based reason as the only valid parameters for establishing knowledge.

In the Golden Rule as the touchstone of human moral convention, as amended c 1970 by the the 'Platinum Rule' (1)

That atheists should be polite, but not silent. And the truth is important.

That I will tolerate anything except intolerance.

The inevitability of Death, taxes and damn..there was something else.. eternal illogic ... No... persistence of superstition...nope, not that...the woman is always right..I don't need that kind of trouble...the harem instinct...no, not quite...damn' I know there's something else.

(1) do your own thing, so long as it isn't messing up anyone elses' thing.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-14-2010 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I believe I should be able to give Sizzly Friddle rep points without having to go give them gratuitously to however many other people I need to first

(I don't really remember giving him/her any already, but must have)
I think this is a way to say I agree with her post

Edited to change his/her to her after looking at profile
Should have known....we females are sooooooooo smart

Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
[quote=AREQUIPA;15878925]I believe..

The inevitability of Death, taxes and damn..there was something else.. eternal illogic ... No... persistence of superstition...nope, not that...the woman is always right..I don't need that kind of trouble...the harem instinct...no, not quite...damn' I know there's something else.

Rifelman on the 'archaeological evidence for Jesus' thread:

"C34 ...continues to be pathologically incapable of listening to anything rational that counters his "red balloon" based faith."

I knew there was something else!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
I believe....

...that culture, traditions and language are life.

...that elders are the wisdom and stability of family and the nation. I do not understand this culture that seems to see elders as no longer having value.

...that respect is the key to peace - respect for each other and respect for the rest of nature.

...that we can learn a lot from the animals. They have spirits as well.

...that family is more important than the pursuit of wealth or power.

...that one should always strive to enjoy one's self. This is the only life we have. Don't waste it on things that won't matter in the end.

...that to find the sacred one only need look outside and away from man's edifices.

...that it is important to never make quick evaluations of people, but reserve judgment until their actions show what kind of people they really are.

...that a person's relationship to the sacred is between them and Creator only. It is nobody else's business. No two person's paths are the same.

Last edited by Fullback32; 09-15-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times

I believe humanity is basically good.

I believe humanity has a natural desire for answers.

I believe humans suffer from being too gullible.

I believe humanity is afraid to accept the responsibility needed to save our planet from human actions.

I believe man can learn and avoid past mistakes by studying history.

I believe our human genetics is so close to each other as to make race irreverent, we just aren’t smart enough to see it yet.

I believe if we survive the next 200 years humanity will have discarded the myths of religion, and will stand a chance of living well into the future.

I believe physicist, chemistry, genetics, (science), math, and history will replace the myth based religions, and build a solid peace based knowledge foundation for human life in the future.

I believe humanity will look back on the religious bloodshed and wonder how any civilized culture could allow such atrocities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism