Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:49 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,900,395 times

Advertisements

I am 65 years old and I have never believed in God.

I was raised in a household that was totally lacking in religion. My parents thought religion had helped a lot of people but never discussed God with me at all. As I got older, the idea of some kind of supreme being never occured to me.

When I look out onto this beautiful and fascinating universe, I do not see any overall design. I just see things behaving according to some natural principles we humans barely understand, but that is good enough for me. I am simply glad to be alive.

Are you a lifelong atheist like me or were you once religious and decided to change? If so, why did you change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 09:21 PM

53 posts, read 155,771 times
I do believe in God. I do not believe in people. And in not believing in people, i am 100% against any type of religion. I did however once believe in Christianity and went to church when I was in my teens. A very miserable time in my life.

After seeing all the corrupt, contradictory, greedy & overly judging people of that church I evolved into atheism. I stayed that way for years until finally coming to my own conclusion that there must be intelligent design in my opinion. I am still steadfast against religion. Having been apart of it early in my life, it does give me more clarification as to the ignorance & greed that is rampant in the religion. Great question.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:24 PM

360 posts, read 444,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus Florida View Post
I do believe in God. I do not believe in people. And in not believing in people, i am 100% against any type of religion. I did however once believe in Christianity and went to church when I was in my teens. A very miserable time in my life.

After seeing all the corrupt, contradictory, greedy & overly judging people of that church I evolved into atheism. I stayed that way for years until finally coming to my own conclusion that there must be intelligent design in my opinion. I am still steadfast against religion. Having been apart of it early in my life, it does give me more clarification as to the ignorance & greed that is rampant in the religion. Great question.
That would be deism and antitheism, I think.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,689,580 times
My parents weren't religious, yet I am.

I guess I learned to be contrary from a young age.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:19 PM

138 posts, read 254,751 times
Grew up in the Church of Christ. Became Agnostic in college.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,034,899 times
I have always, always, always, always, always believed there was a God out there. Or I mean...I believed in the idea of a God.

Until very recently.

I can remember being tiny and wondering if God was angry that I yelled at my sister. I mean it has always been in there despite my parents really not being all that religious at all. We certainly never attended church regularly. I never "felt God's presence," but of course, that was "my" fault and blah blah.

However, despite "believing"...whenever I heard a description of God, from any religion, it rang false to me. Even the float-y "God is the 'all' and includes us and is not apart from us and blah blah" stuff felt...not quite right.

It just has never felt right. Ever. But I have never been brave enough to be logical and say, "Maybe there isn't a God," until recently.

Here's the way my spiritual searching history -- close to 40 years of it -- has felt. It has felt like...well, here I go.

It is exactly like buying some gadget at WalMart. You're all excited. You've heard from soooooooo many people how THIS is exactly what you need. And you take it out of the box and you try it and...nothing happens.

So you take the Gadget back to WalMart and complain that it doesn't work. But instead of refunding your money and going into the back room to call the supplier and yell for shipping a bad product, they give YOU the fishy eye and ask, "Did you try this? And did you do that? How about this?"

And you give off the answers but there are more and more questions fired at you; fired to make the statement that it's not the Gadget that doesn't work; you are the one who did something wrong.

Finally you just go home. And you think and think and think about what you did wrong. You just can't figure out what that could have been. Then you see another commercial on TV. This time it's threatening: "Here are people who didn't use the Gadget. They will suffer forever for it. They should have made the Gadget work...but *they* were defective. Or maybe they just weren't sincere in trying to make it work."

You're totally ashamed and you believe you're the only one for whom The Gadget doesn't produce the incredible results that the neverending repetitive infomercials have insisted it would, so you don't ask family and friends about this. They all seem to be doing just fine with The Gadget. They claim that it works WONDERS for them. So you crawl home and take out your Gadget again. And push every button and follow every instruction and still nothing happens. Nothing at all. You put it away in a closet but you do take it out whenever other people seem to be showing their own Gadgets off, like during holidays or family get-togethers, and you pretend your Gadget is working just like you assume theirs are working but all the while you're really starting at a blank screen...wondering if anybody else could possibly feel the way you do.

Even though the Gadget never ever works, you still take it out in secret once in a while -- not just to show off and pretend, but to try...yet again...to make it work. Maybe if you meditate first it will all come to you. Maybe if you clean all the gears. Maybe if you talk to the Gadget. Maybe if you just carry it with you everywhere. Absolutely everywhere.

But still nothing.

And then one day when you get up the nerve to tell someone you trust about all this...he or she tells you the Gadget isn't working because you're not sincere enough about making it work. You're just playing around. But don't worry: the Gadget *will* jump into some kind of action...the punishing kind. It won't answer you when you talk to it, when you ask it for help, when you praise it, when you bow before it, when you press every single button and lift every single lever, BUT it will, one day, when you least expect it, throw you into a fiery pit forever to scream in pain for not having had faith in it.

You decide you'll start fresh and you won't ask ANYTHING of your Gadget. Nothing at all. All you want is to understand it. That's all. So each and every night for endless long nights you kindly thank the Gadget for being there and tell it that you want to know it and that's it. And you wait. And wait. And wait.

Dumb as a rock, the Gadget just sits there and stares blankly back at you, just the way it does when you rail at it, beg it, try to engage it in something lighthearted, spill your guts out to it, hold it close to your heart trying to convince yourself you feel ANY warmth emanating from it. At all.

I think I'm done with my Gadget. My Gadget has done a lot of things: it's made me cry. It's made me feel alone. It's made me feel like I'm just not "getting it". It's kept me from doing things that might make me happy. It's terrorized my days and my nights with fearful imagery. What hasn't it done? Comforted me or made me happy. At all. I'm sorry. I don't believe in my Gadget any more. I don't even want my money back from WalMart. I'm happy enough just to let go of its weight on my back, and really live my life, at last. I can't say that there's no such thing as a Gadget, period. Perhaps there is...for some people.

I've seen people claim to use their Gadgets for the most frivolous things: "I prayed to my Gadget that my little Tommy would get the lead in the school play and he did!" but I can tell you that I pressed the "To make your daddy come back, press this button. To keep your mother from bringing home men who touch you, lift the lever and recite the following. To have your son be healthy and not intellectually disabled, do this and that" buttons, levers and gadgets over and over again and, well...nothin'. Sorry. The Gadget works great for some people, or they believe it does. So I'll tell you. Even if the Gadget DOES exist AND works for some, I roundly REJECT anything that could listen to a tiny child weep and scream for help and do nothing, yet sit in on a "prayer circle" to ensure that Jennifer and Betty come through their rhinoplasties just fine. That type of Gadget is not for me...even if it does exist.

Last edited by JerZ; 12-18-2010 at 11:35 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 11:11 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times
I don't think I did... Maybe in a way... I always pictured "God" as this little boy with blond hair - like the little boy on the cover of "The Little Prince" - but wearing a little white dress and floating in the sky. But I don't really know if that qualifies as a belief in God. I think I believed that my stuffed animals and dolls had feelings more than I really believed in God. Who am I kidding - I still think stuffed animals have feelings...

Old 12-18-2010, 11:12 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,871,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Are you a lifelong atheist like me or were you once religious and decided to change? If so, why did you change?
Lifelong atheist here. Raised by atheist parents. Got a hell of a lot of stick mind you growing up in Wales. Beaten up by the other kids, spat on, kept back at school.... all Baptists see boyo!! . I can still here them 45 years on......."Look you there bach....there goes the evil one!!"

Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,206,764 times
Yeah I did and went to a Baptist church, baptized at the age of 12. For the most part I was an inactive "Christian", only attended a church service when my grandmother forced me. Even as a "Christian" and before I hit my teens, I believed dinosaurs once roamed the earth millions of years ago and humans didn't come into existence in a later period, fascinated with black holes, and memorize the 9(now 8) planets in our solar system in numerical order. To make a long story short, I became atheist over a year ago at age 19. Before I came to the conclusion, I briefly went through the deist and agnostic stage. I'm 21 now

Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,957 times
Like many people I was brought up to believe in God and religion. When I say God I should point out I mean Bible God. I was taught that everything in the Bible was literally true. It was so absurd that it was easy to come to a realization Bible God wasn't real. I owe a great thanks to that for pushing me in a direction I was already headed in, as I was always skeptical of such things.

I don't suppose I was ever a true believer, so to speak. Maybe I didn't get the God gene or something.

I look at questions of our existence as more of a philosophical one than a religious one. What is a me? Is the natural physical me all there is; or is there two of me, one immaterial the other material (dualism), etc. I can't say I accept dualism with a great deal of confidence, but anything's possible.

Anyhow, if I could line up the beliefs I've had over my life to the present day, it'd go like this in order: skeptic, strong atheist, agnostic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism