Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 AM

102 posts, read 100,461 times

Advertisements

[CENTER]Top of Form 1[/CENTER]
&
Council of Europe passes resolution to ban creationism from classroom

November 09, 2007

The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe recently adopted a resolution that recommended a prohibition towards the teaching of creationism in any educational setting outside of religion classes.
In June 2007, the European Centre for Law and Justice (ECLJ) presented a brief to the Council of Europe in response to a Council report that served as the basis for this resolution. In its brief, the ECLJ argued that, "[t]he aim of the Report is to forego scientific discussion between the theories of evolution and creationism, or intelligent design, to impede the educational formation of children by restricting classroom exploration of ideas, and effectively infringe on the rights of free exercise of expression, religion, and education." Therefore, this project goes against the respect for pluralism and diversity of ideas and opinions that the Council of Europe claims to stand for.
ECLJ : Council of Europe passes resolution to ban creationism from classroom
[SIZE=1]Bottom of Form 1
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,107 times
Here come the fundamentalists. I can already hear them screaming about this "first step" toward banning Christianity, turning Europe into the revived Roman Empire, electing the Antichrist and soon thereafter the Tribulation beginning.

Hoo boy...

Old 01-26-2011, 02:19 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobee View Post
[CENTER]Top of Form 1[/CENTER]
&
Council of Europe passes resolution to ban creationism from classroom

November 09, 2007

The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe recently adopted a resolution that recommended a prohibition towards the teaching of creationism in any educational setting outside of religion classes.
In June 2007, the European Centre for Law and Justice (ECLJ) presented a brief to the Council of Europe in response to a Council report that served as the basis for this resolution. In its brief, the ECLJ argued that, "[t]he aim of the Report is to forego scientific discussion between the theories of evolution and creationism, or intelligent design, to impede the educational formation of children by restricting classroom exploration of ideas, and effectively infringe on the rights of free exercise of expression, religion, and education." Therefore, this project goes against the respect for pluralism and diversity of ideas and opinions that the Council of Europe claims to stand for.
ECLJ : Council of Europe passes resolution to ban creationism from classroom
[SIZE=1]Bottom of Form 1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]
Cool. I haven't ever heard that before. As a Biology teacher, I'm always looking over my shoulder for the fundies to interfere with my curriculum. Thanks for posting!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Cool. I haven't ever heard that before. As a Biology teacher, I'm always looking over my shoulder for the fundies to interfere with my curriculum. Thanks for posting!
That gave me a great visual of a teacher looking over her shoulder at the fundies lurking all around! So funny!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM

102 posts, read 100,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Here come the fundamentalists. I can already hear them screaming about this "first step" toward banning Christianity, turning Europe into the revived Roman Empire, electing the Antichrist and soon thereafter the Tribulation beginning.

Hoo boy...
I dont know about banning, its dying on its feet. Many churches have closed in my home town of Leicester UK.

All religions die, so nothing unusual is going on.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I have heard that Creationism is being pushed by some parents and they at least have put pressure on teachers to at least not mention evolution.

A national stand on saying that the evidence supports evolution and not creationism would be welcome as giving teachers the support they need to teach fact, not fiction.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 AM

43 posts, read 46,830 times
It's good to see this sort of thing being put into writing. Science in the science class, religion in the religious class.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:26 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have heard that Creationism is being pushed by some parents and they at least have put pressure on teachers to at least not mention evolution.

A national stand on saying that the evidence supports evolution and not creationism would be welcome as giving teachers the support they need to teach fact, not fiction.
Creationism is banned in public schools in the US, it is just the private schools which have a loop hole on teaching the myths. The issue in Europe deals with some government support to private schools which lets them control what is taught.
There are teachers in southern public schools who are bible thumpers. I have known a few through my wife, who was a teacher for about 25 years. One comes to mind who pushed religion every time she got the chance. She never seemed to get along with me for some reason. At one point she put a note on the christian religion in my wife’s teacher mail box. I don’t think my wife would have cared about the pushy note if the woman had signed it rather than just leaving it. My wife, a Deist, answered it in a public forum (teachers bulletin board) by posting a quote from the sixteen hundreds by William Penn discussing the religious pressure being put on the Indians and how those who pushed should use care less they be on the outside looking in on the Indians when judgment day came. Than she attached her commented on placing an unsigned note in her box and how it was insulting, anti-Semitic, and showed a lack of character form the person who sent it unsigned. She never got another letter, and the bible beater seldom spoke to her again. Two problems solved at once.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Creationism is banned in public schools in the US, it is just the private schools which have a loop hole on teaching the myths.
Nope, creationism is not banned from the public schools in the US. While it is true that public schools are not supposed to teach religion in the classroom, the states control what is taught. Look at Texas and the textbooks they are trying to adopt.

Science setback for Texas schools | NCSE

And they are rewriting history to put Christianity into the schools as well

Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns | World news | The Guardian

Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,132 times
When I was in San Antonio my friends told me what was happening in Texas schools, (one of my friends is a teacher) and they were very worried.

Rewriting history is the strategy facist & communists countries used to control and manipulate their people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism