Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times

Advertisements

1: I visited several Buddhist temples in South Korea. At one temple I bought a roof tile and dedicated it to a dead Buddhist monk who was friend of mine, who died last year. Temples in this area often have large stacks of clay tiles laid out in the courtyard, where one can make a donation to buy a tile. Then traditionally, something is written on the tile with paint, and the tile is then used as part of the normal upkeep and replacement on the temple buildings.

2: I visited Angkor Wat, which was gorgeous.

3: I visited Ireland and toured/took photos of several lovely churches there.

4: I went backpacking in the Rockies, got up in the wee hours of the morning twice, and climbed a 14er so that I could sit on the summit and watch the sun rise (while drinking rum and Coke).

Did I experience anything "spiritual" or "godlike". Hell no. But I did have a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
We wondered where you were, sounds like an awesome time traveling.

I happen to love churches and wherever I go I always take photos. They are just amazing architecturally. I also don't have any religious experiences going in them.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I'm glad you had a good time!
I love to visit very old structures, religious or otherwise, and think about all the people who have stood in that very spot over the years.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
1: I visited several Buddhist temples in South Korea. At one temple I bought a roof tile and dedicated it to a dead Buddhist monk who was friend of mine, who died last year. Temples in this area often have large stacks of clay tiles laid out in the courtyard, where one can make a donation to buy a tile. Then traditionally, something is written on the tile with paint, and the tile is then used as part of the normal upkeep and replacement on the temple buildings.

4: I went backpacking in the Rockies, got up in the wee hours of the morning twice, and climbed a 14er so that I could sit on the summit and watch the sun rise (while drinking rum and Coke).

Did I experience anything "spiritual" or "godlike". Hell no. But I did have a good time.
Dammit! When I grow up I want to be like you! I long to do stuff like that but with an 11, 13, 14 and 16 year old in my care, I've got a few years to go unless I stumble into some serious cash (as I would love to take them on such trips to expand their minds).

Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I happen to love churches and wherever I go I always take photos. They are just amazing architecturally. I also don't have any religious experiences going in them.
Maybe these might interest you then:

Church Pics

Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Sounds better than my summer. I just spun around the hamster wheel 9-5, M-F... again.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:

Angkor Wat? Great. I spent an entire day there.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Of course visiting Ireland without telling me first is a "sin" so youre damned now.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I have always had a great attraction for Gothic cathedrals. Some of them are simply astonishing. I also find stained glass a beautiful artform.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
Excellent! Glad you enjoyed my State! Which 14er did you hike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism