Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 AM

1,006 posts, read 735,827 times

Advertisements

But why is it such that the more I educate myself, the more idiotic some individuals seem to be?

Case and point, a normal work day had been had up until lunch upon which I was confronted by a co-worker who happens to be somewhat of a religious zealot. He inquired as to what my tattoo meant (up-right, waking fish). I explained that its commonly associated with evolutionary biology, Darwinism, etc. (It's an extremely small tattoo on the inside of my wrist, negligible to someone who had not know I gotten it prior.) Once I explained this the conversation took the usual turn down "Why can't you just believe" Ave. upon which I casually blew off several times. Seeing as this guy was relentless in his inquiry, I simply posed the issue of Infinite Regression: "Who made your maker, and who created your makers maker" etc.....His retort "The issue with your types is that you ask too many questions. There are some questions which should actively be avoided, such as your previous one"....

After officially having my mind rocked by ignorance and giving quite the discerning look, I had to re-evaluate my reaction and apologize. I literally looked at the guy as if he were covered in feces and used condoms. It goes without saying that I'm not too fond this intermittent arrogance I sometimes exemplify, but it's proving quite difficult to stave off in contrast to the my insatiable appetite for knowledge.

Am I the only one who sometimes feel guilty for feeling this way? Admittedly, I'm no genius but it seems quite logical to research that which were are ignorant about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:15 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
yep he is in your face jerry falwell type, but you know jerry falwell comes in different uniforms gay, feminist, AA, illegals, even atheists and christian haters, people getting in your face with their stuff is never fun.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
But why is it such that the more I educate myself, the more idiotic some individuals seem to be?

Case and point, a normal work day had been had up until lunch upon which I was confronted by a co-worker who happens to be somewhat of a religious zealot. He inquired as to what my tattoo meant (up-right, waking fish). I explained that its commonly associated with evolutionary biology, Darwinism, etc. (It's an extremely small tattoo on the inside of my wrist, negligible to someone who had not know I gotten it prior.) Once I explained this the conversation took the usual turn down "Why can't you just believe" Ave. upon which I casually blew off several times. Seeing as this guy was relentless in his inquiry, I simply posed the issue of Infinite Regression: "Who made your maker, and who created your makers maker" etc.....His retort "The issue with your types is that you ask too many questions. There are some questions which should actively be avoided, such as your previous one"....

After officially having my mind rocked by ignorance and giving quite the discerning look, I had to re-evaluate my reaction and apologize. I literally looked at the guy as if he were covered in feces and used condoms. It goes without saying that I'm not too fond this intermittent arrogance I sometimes exemplify, but it's proving quite difficult to stave off in contrast to the my insatiable appetite for knowledge.

Am I the only one who sometimes feel guilty for feeling this way? Admittedly, I'm no genius but it seems quite logical to research that which were are ignorant about.

I would not feel guilty however, I don't think work is the appropriate place to have such a conversation. This guy would have really been blown over at my tattoos (one on each wrist on the inside), might be kind of fun to watch his reaction. If he happens to start again I might tell him that you agree to disagree with him and your beliefs are your own and his are his and follow up with the not approriate at work conversation. Hopefully that will end it. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
.....upon which I casually blew off several times.
...as one does...especially after beans.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
A good start, but many people define education as getting to a point where you realize how much YOU still do not know and have to learn. A truly educated person sees how much they themselves still have to learn. Judging your own education by how little other people seem to know simply means you are not quite there yet.

That said, I do often share your disappointment at not just the level some people have failed to reach, but how they almost revel in the level they have chosen to stop at. Not asking questions or learning new things is, to some, almost something to be proud of. It is more a general disappointment in our species rather than in any particular individual however.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I almost inevitably regret losing my cool and almost always find it better to be polite while ripping a person's arguments to shreds. And graciously accepting it when my arguments are ripped to shreds, too.

It makes things a whole lot easier if the other bod does the same and an awful lot can be passed over if neither side gets annoyed and personal about it.

As for arrogance, it tends to go with the 'you think you are so smart' accusations. It ought to be dismissed as an ad hom. accusation (which it is) and it is far better to ask for what was said to be either refuted or accepted as a pretty smart post than to get into a shouting match.

Of course it can be frustrating if the usual reasoning and data that we commonly use to establish a case is tossed out of the window and personal beliefs are held up as fact until disproved to someone who isn't interested in mere human logic and the opinions of scientific orthodoxy. That's why I now tend to start debates by asking whether logic and data is accepted as valid. Interestingly, in the Dawkins -Williams debate the chairman began by asking whether those two parameters were accepted before the debate since without that basis, any debate is futile.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-01-2012 at 03:56 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 04:44 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,159 times
Quote:

You might as well have just tatooed "save me" on your forehead. lol
I take it you aren't one of those atheist who don't mind talking about it at least to some degree if you inked an indication of yoru beliefs on your wrist.

I won't comment on the actual conversation for now. I do always wonder if it's rude to approach people about their ink to ask them what significance some of their tattoos have. I figured if you were uncomfortable with people staring at you or walking up to you and starting conversatons, you wouldn't have them out there for people to see. Right?
But normally, I still don't ask.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
We've been told for a long time that things like this are called being elitist, too good for people etc. We're told these things are bad, to the point where we have to entertain any asinine notion just so we appear to be nice people.

I do not agree with this. There are some adults that are simply uneducated, stupid, ignorant etc. It is ok to disregard someone and their opinions if they are so ridiculous you can't entertain them.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
I make no apology for my arrogance. I am evolving whereas half the morons in this world are stuck back in Neanderthal times. Sorry, I am simply better, if that is arrogant, so be it. I have no time for fake humility although I do hide my sneering well

Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times
Quote:

Case and point, a normal work day had been had up until lunch upon which I was confronted by a co-worker who happens to be somewhat of a religious zealot. He inquired as to what my tattoo meant (up-right, waking fish). I explained that its commonly associated with evolutionary biology, Darwinism, etc. (It's an extremely small tattoo on the inside of my wrist, negligible to someone who had not know I gotten it prior.) Once I explained this the conversation took the usual turn down "Why can't you just believe" Ave. upon which I casually blew off several times. Seeing as this guy was relentlessin his inquiry, I simply posed the issue of Infinite Regression: "Who made your maker, and who created your makers maker" etc.....His retort "The issue with your types is that you ask too many questions. There are some questions which should actively be avoided, such as your previous one"....

My question to you is how heated did this argument actually get. What I'm mean is if you were at a table. Were voice raised enough for other to hear? Were intonations shrill? How emotional what the whole situation in general?

The more embarrassing aspect to a conversation like this is not the actually content of the conversation. It's usually the tone and the emotional aspect of the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism