Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times

Advertisements

There is something that Christianity offers to the world which is far more irresponsible than the bilking of money, abuse of children, violation of human rights, promotion of racism and hatred......
And that is the myth that Jesus is going to return and re-establish his kingdom forever and ever here on earth. According to most, this will happen after a big battle between God and the Devul. As for when, well according to many, it will happen any time now.
Of course, it has been on the verge of happening sinnce year 1, the early followers seemed to think he would return in their lifetimmes, the early Romans thought it would happen within the first few centuries, the dark age mystics thought it was imminent as well, and the early settlers to America were convinced it would happen then, of course many people were certain that World war one was armeggedon itself, etc etc

When I was a teenage, I heard this Baptist preacher screaming at his church "YOU MUST REPENT NOW! We may all walk out of here today and find Jesus waiting outside and then it is too late!!!!"

Point is, it is , according to Biblical writings and such, a literal event that is happening very soon as evidenced by all the hurricanes, tsunamis wars terrorist attacks etc

BUT as I will show it is irresponsible and I am not the first person to point this out.
I was having lunch with an artist friend who I did not know was so religious and she said "When Jesus comes back we won't have to worry about that"
SO since JESUS is coming back any minute now she has NO VESTED INTEREST IN PLANS FOR HER FUTURE, including everything from retirement money to polluting the environment, because after all, Jesus will be here any minute and these thing will not matter.

SO Go ahead and muck up the world for your childrens children so they won't have clean air to breath or clean water to drink, because Jesus is coming back any minute now and he will fix it.
DO NOT save money for your kids college or your retirement or anything because Jesus will be back any minute now and he will fix everything. Jesus will be here long before your kids are grown anyway.

Go ahead and smoke, When Jesus gets here he will cure you of that, if he does not already.

Do not bother helping out your neighbors, like the disabled vet down the street, because when Jesus gets here he will cure him and take care of him, or cast him into hell if he wants, so what you do to help him get through the week by buying him groceries or taking him to a doctors appointment so he can get some relief from pain and suffering will not matter because Jesus is coming any day now.

In fact, don't even do anything, don't take care of yourself, your world, your family, your friends, because Jesus will be here in a day ro two and fix everything.

THIS IS NOT what I believe, but it is the mentality of my friend, and I would venture that in whatever church she goes to, it is commoon thinking there. Wishful thinking perhaps, but not my thinking

Of course I have been told flat out, many times that "Nothing on earth matters except accepting Jesus, this life is a test God puts before us and eternity in heaven or hell is all that matters"
Of course, no one can answer why this existence is REAL then if it does not matter, and no one knows (admit it, no one knows) If the afterlife is real, or what it involves. ALL medical and scientific evidence point against it.

As for jesus triumphant return, there is a deeply allegorical and symbolic tone to certain Biblical writings that few people in America seem to get. Most take it literally and even worse, take it as DIVINE! The return, the rebirth, refers ONLY to individual conversion as a "Christ" or enlightened/fully happy/self-actualized being. It is not external, it is internal, and it is not a WHO but rather a concept, an idea.
Jesus is not going to fall out of the sky at such a time that everyone on earth will see him. There is no DEVUL to do battle with, and there is no impending armeddon although we as humans have the capacity to dreat one (We can hope we have the insight not to)
And it is irresponsible for these preachers to tell their followers that life in this reality does not matter, that prepeartion and personal responsibilty for one's family and futurre need be ignored because Jesus will be here any second now. It is not only irresponsible personally, but economically and politically and socially as well.

*Just a note: HE did not appear when I was writing this, and I guarantee Jesus will not be returning before you have a chance to read it.*
BUT Just in case, my kid is home sick from school (probably possessed by demons) So I need to run up and get him some chicken broth before Jesus shows up

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-25-2012 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: changed font color since red is reserved for moderation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Right, and don't forget the all important "Rapture" that must happen first......and how horrible it will be for us heathens once all the good "christians" are gone. Here's a link to a website that deals specifically with the rapture and it's really sad how these people put their lives on hold thinking that it's going to happen "any day now".

Rapture Ready - Rapture resource for the end times

And here's the link to the discussion board.....be careful not to get sucked in!

Rapture Ready

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Delusional people have delusional views of just about everything.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

If it looks like a delusional fantasy, sounds like a delusional fantasy, then it's probably a delusional fantasy.

And don't forget that under Reagen he appointed a Secretary of the Interior (Watts) that didn't think it necessary to protect the environment because Hehsoos was coming, soon. We see these loons, and their insane views make us shake our head in wonder, but never forget that their insanity can pose a threat to us all.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
There are 2 ways to get a donkey to move.... either a carrot or a stick.

Religion hasn't evolved past either method yet.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Right, and don't forget the all important "Rapture" that must happen first......and how horrible it will be for us heathens once all the good "christians" are gone. Here's a link to a website that deals specifically with the rapture and it's really sad how these people put their lives on hold thinking that it's going to happen "any day now".

And here's the link to the discussion board.....be careful not to get sucked in!

Rapture Ready

I knew a women who lived like that. She was waiting for the end because she thought it was going to be glorious...meanwhile her living life was really sad and pitiful.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
You would think that after 2000 years people would finally realize that it was all a massive hoax of historic proportions. But unfortunately, the human mind doesn't work that way. I'm reminded of this quote by Richard Belzer:

"If you tell a lie that's big enough, and you tell it often enough, people will believe you are telling the truth, even when what you are saying is total crap."

Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You would think that after 2000 years people would finally realize that it was all a massive hoax of historic proportions. But unfortunately, the human mind doesn't work that way. I'm reminded of this quote Richard Belzer:

"If you tell a lie that's big enough, and you tell it often enough, people will believe you are telling the truth, even when what you are saying is total crap."
Sounds like politics, lol.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:22 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
I was floored at lunch when my friend said "When Jesus returns he is going to fix everything"
I did not know she was of that camp......And she recently turned republican but what got me was she needed my help with an art project and When I mentioned that I disagreed with the government bailing out people when I am not in need of a bailout hence they are choosing for me how to spend my moeny etc she said" Don't worry...when Jesus returns to earth he will fix everything."
IN THE MEANTIME, if you don't mind, I am working on fixing things and a few well placed letters to elected officials stating my point and signed "As a registered voter in your precint" Is the fix I have envisioned and that is today. I'll fix it myself, come election time with something called a VOTE. And I do not need "Jesus " for that

Old 05-22-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I was floored at lunch when my friend said "When Jesus returns he is going to fix everything"

People who believe that really scare me. Of course that's if their Jesus returns before man makes himself extinct

Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post

Rapture Ready
Wow, that is quite shocking. It's hard for me to imagine that such people really exist. Sometimes I like to think they're just pretending, nobody can actually believe this stuff right? How can someone think like that and still function like a normal human being, with a job and kids and everything? These people are insane, I'm sorry. I mean medically insane. If their delusions weren't based on a 2000 year-old-book they'd be diagnosed with mental illness.

For the record, I'm talking about the crazy people on that board, not Christians in general. I realise most Christians are not this extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism