Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:51 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this documentary yet? It's supposed to make a case that Jesus never existed. It's gotten some pretty interesting reviews from the NY Times as well as Newsweek and a few others.

Here is the trailer:

The God Who Wasn't There: View Trailer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:06 PM

307 posts, read 479,496 times
Nothing new here. We have numerous documentries that take a similar slant. I look forward to the day when a mainstream channel takes all the evidence and puts a pro-Jesus Christ on air. All they ever do today is try to disparage and dismiss him. Fortunately, the Son of God will have the last word.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
Not yet, but I have put it on my Netflix list.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
It looks good. After 4 years of University Religion and Theology classes, it's nice to see something that presents itself (at least in the trailer) to be a well rounded intellectual/historical/philosophical/psychological coverage on the beginnings of Christianity.
Of course it'll probably only be viewed by people who are willing to take an objective interest in it....(in other words, unfortunately only preaching to the choir)
The blindly faithful will attack and disparage the film without seeing it, as a result of their deep seated fears.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
Troop, I have that dvd but I haven't watched it yet. I have been watching season one of "Dexter" instead. I will try to watch it soon and give my opinion.

Elizabeth- we are mostly non-believers on this forum. I for one am not interested in threats from the non-existent son of your non-existent god.
It is annoying and not the least bit intimidating.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
Nothing new here. We have numerous documentries that take a similar slant. I look forward to the day when a mainstream channel takes all the evidence and puts a pro-Jesus Christ on air. All they ever do today is try to disparage and dismiss him. Fortunately, the Son of God will have the last word.
This is patently false. The majority of Hollywood treatment of religion is very pro-Christian. The big Nova Bible show was highly favorable to the Christer's views and had numerous false "histories" in it as well as the usual illogical conclusions from the lack of any evidence.. Keep your false propaganda in the other forums if you have nothing but whining to offer.

-------------

There's an interesting article on the film in Wikipedia: The God Who Wasn't There - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It came out 2-3 years ago.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
Please! I personally can not name any daily programming which tries to disapprove your god, but sure have seen enough preaching, gospel singin, closed eyes and hands waiving.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:32 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post

There's an interesting article on the film in Wikipedia: The God Who Wasn't There - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It came out 2-3 years ago.

Oh, I didn't know it came out that long ago. I had never heard of it until today when I was cruising around the New York Times online and there was an advertisement for it.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
The God Who Wasn't There:
Yall are gettin' me a bit concerned, I had just assumed that none of them were ever really there! Of course, I am assuming, since I haven't clicked the link yet, that this one happens to be some subset of christerism, or any subset of christerism for that matter (yeah, I do tend to fuss at them more than all the others, but...they are the ones who tend to fuss more at me, preach at me on my doorstep, litter my yard with tracts, bicycles and a perma-grin, or a pod of women and children trudging from door to door with their message of doom and gloom. I do have one question for them, they come here, they read us, "Is it truly a requirement of christerism to have your sense of humor surgically removed?"

Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Has anyone seen this documentary yet? It's supposed to make a case that Jesus never existed. It's gotten some pretty interesting reviews from the NY Times as well as Newsweek and a few others.

Here is the trailer:

The God Who Wasn't There: View Trailer
Thanks Troop, good post, nice link, gotta spread it around before I can rep you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism