Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 AM

169 posts, read 561,804 times

Advertisements

I am interested in learning more about Wicca. Can anyone reccomend any good books or web sites to read on getting started. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 AM

860 posts, read 1,336,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern no more View Post
I am interested in learning more about Wicca. Can anyone reccomend any good books or web sites to read on getting started. Thanks!
There are many good books out there. If you have a Borders around you they have a new age section with lots of books there. In general, they'll all say basically the same thing. Differences could be something like some Wiccans believe that you must be initiated into Wicca by a coven and that you will become part of that coven after certain rituals which depend on that coven's tradition. Other authors are solitary Wiccans who feel that you don't need a coven to practice Wicca.

I have a few books, but I'm not sure exactly where they are or I'd give you the titles. One I think was called The Wicca Handbook. It was ok. Gave some basic spells but not enough background info on Wicca for my tastes. More of a spell cookbook, imo. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern no more View Post
Actually if this was moved out to the R&P forum you might get more response, since Wiccans aren't atheists or agnostics

Old 08-21-2009, 01:12 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Actually if this was moved out to the R&P forum you might get more response, since Wiccans aren't atheists or agnostics
Though, we do read the A&A forums, too.

As for the OP -- I highly recommend Scott Cunningham's books, 'Wicca: a Guide for the Solitary Practitioner' and 'Living Wicca'; both are very well-written and lay out precisely what Wicca is (and is not, which is an important distinction to make!).

Otherwise, I recommend some of the articles on the Witche's Voice. Lots of good stuff there, from *many* points of view. They don't teach any particular religious path, but they provide the articles.

I recommend you stay away from Silver Ravenwolf, at least for the beginning -- she *does* provide an overview of Wicca, but she tends to focus more on spell-casting over actual religious practices.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Though, we do read the A&A forums, too.
LOL maybe, but apparently not very often as this post is what...eight months old?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,261 times
Book of Shadows. Easy as that.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:51 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
I did a project on Wicca in Appalachian once and I found it extremely interesting 'Appalachian Granny Magic.' They were more like country doctors than witches as we think of the term. Witchvox Article then I went on to interview a high priestess but she was really disappointing; just a lot of anti-Christian babbling. It's nothing like it used to be. Anyways, looking into these people from the past is quite something. Check this part out- "The people of the mountains still relied upon Mother Nature in a way, that 'city folk' did not anymore. The fertility of the crops, the livestock, and of the people themselves was as paramount to the Appalachians of 1900 as it was to the early American colonists in the 1600's. Therefore, fertility, and the worship of Mother Nature, Jack frost, Father Winter, Chloe, Spider Grandmother, Demeter, and such varied deities continued in the Appalachian region, staying a current part of the people's faith, rather than becoming a mythic memory as such 'nature worship' did elsewhere. In fact, we still see "Lady Plenty and Lady Liberty" Goddess of the harvest, with cornucopia in hand, and Goddess of freedom, on the official North Carolina State seal." "

Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I think Wicca is interesting, and is one step closer to reality than the major religions, as it is at least based on natural phenomena. That doesn't make it credible, but it is interesting.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holcomb410 View Post
Book of Shadows. Easy as that.
A book of shadows is an individual's workbook, not a how-to text. You could learn about Wicca from reading one -- assuming that the owner of the book lets you read it -- but you'd only be learning about one particular Wiccan's views and opinions.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I second FrednotBob's suggestion of Cunningham's books and not Ravenwolf's. Another suggestion is to go to a metaphysical store and talk to the people there. Way back when I was going through a phase, I did that, and it really helped me realize that was not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism