Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
One of the last times I said a full Rosary (and out loud at that) was at my great-grandmother's funeral, when I was 14. To break the monotony, I would change the emphasis on words: hail mary, full OF grace, the lord IS with thee. It made my mom laugh, and give me a nudge.
Heh, I was never a Catholic, but I had a lot of friends who were. So instead of emphasizing different words, I would switch the words around.

"Holy God, mother of Mary ..."

"Hail God, full of Mary, Grace is with thee"

"Hail Grace, God of Mary, Holy is with thee."

"Hail thee, God of grace, Mary is with full."

And such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 10:16 AM

335 posts, read 409,932 times
The rosary and its corresponding Mariology is an aspect of religiosity that places the human mother of Jesus on the spot.
She began as a substitute goddess when the early church was attempting to rid pagan goddesses so women could be=
come members of the church with a break from tradition. Mary had all the makings of a "go to" icon early on. As time
went on she was advanced and advance into a divinity and worse a intercessor to God or a mediator (mediatrix) . This
has resulted in a return to paganism in its finest hour . Mary would roll over in her grave since she was a follower of
Jesus not a deity!! The Catholic church has a culture of adoration that takes things to extremes . Jesus said "No one
goes to the Father but by me" There are zero mediators beyond Jesus and His spirit (The buck stops there period).
Intercessory prayer to saints, dead Popes ,relatives is all moot. Mary's womb was blessed . She was a great mom
especially when one realizes she was a teen when Jesus was conceived by the holy Spirit, under tremendous scrutiny
for being pregnant out of wedlock!!!(Oh my!!). She could have been stoned!! . Here is my advice . Leave Mary alone
stop the nonsense that bondages one in religion and avoid perversion and blasphemy of the word.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:41 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDweller View Post

Like my previous threads, I'm just asking for opinion. There are no right/wrong answers, so feel free to answer however you like.
And there is no right or wrong in doing this, obviously. It's like carrying around a four leaf clover, or a rabbit's foot for luck. It's not like doing that is hurting anything. But it is an indication that somewhere deep in your mind you still suppose that appealing to a supernatural force MIGHT just help you in some way. After years of being indoctrinated into your Catholic hocus-pocus, you may NEVER completely shake all of your deep seated superstitious beliefs. But if and when the time comes that you realize you have stopped silently asking Mary for help, you will be getting close.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Personally I find memorizing Abbott and Costello's classic "Who's on First" routine a great way to relax. It's much longer and more work to memorize, true, but it's a good deal more of a giggle, and there's no dealing with images of "womb fruit" and the like. But of course I wasn't raised Catholic, so I'm not mired in tons of self loathing and guilt.
Om mani padme hum is even shorter.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:40 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Om mani padme hum is even shorter.
True. But not as funny as "Who's on First."

Old 03-17-2014, 12:13 PM

12,284 posts, read 2,968,089 times
I can identify with that because I was raised Catholic, though I don't do so myself. Some people just like to have something to contemplate. There are for instance "worry beads" that people use for non-religious purposes. There's even a page about them on wikipedia! Worry beads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suppose it beats chewing gum, either rots your teeth or makes you look like a cud chewing cow, or smoking, rots your lungs and annoys everyone else. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism