Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:58 AM

282 posts, read 820,380 times

Advertisements

Years ago I was pointed to this study: Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory ... [Am Heart J. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI).

The results shows that “Intercessory prayer had no effect on recovery from surgery without complications.” and “Patients who knew they were receiving intercessory prayer fared worse.” Essentially, telling a patient "I'll pray for you" was a detriment to their recovery.

I really appreciated this study as it was double-blind, had a large sample size, and was extremely scientific. I was wondering if there were any other great studies around religion and it's effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Most I have seen essentially say the same thing as what you referenced... believing in invisible supernatural beings has not affect other than your mindset, which can result in you being inhumane to your fellow man.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:36 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Take a look at How God Changes Your Brain: Breakthrough Findings from a Leading Neuroscientist

Quote:
... active and positive spiritual belief changes the human brain for the better. What's more, actual faith isn't always necessary: atheists who meditate on positive imagery can obtain similar neurological benefits.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I suspect another editor has suggested an improved title. The effect of meditation whether sitting cross -legged concentrating on breathing, contemplating a Holy Icon or listening to a Bach fugue can do all that. 'God' has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
You guys nailed it. No magic needed but possibly a positive focal point. "a person" is an ok one I guess. "The placebo effect" may work for some. It may give them something tangle to hold onto. I think aligning Mind, body, and spirit is not an invalid approach to healing.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
You guys nailed it. No magic needed but possibly a positive focal point. "a person" is an ok one I guess. "The placebo effect" may work for some. It may give them something tangle to hold onto. I think aligning Mind, body, and spirit is not an invalid approach to healing.
No, it isn't and I can understand that believing...whatever method one prefers (I'd go for Theravada Buddhist meditation myself) can enhance the efficacy more than just believing that it works.

The point is really that the effect does not validate one religion more than another and that I would rather have a less potent meditation experience just doing Vipassana than actually get dragged into buying into any particular religion.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
I'd be curious to see more details on the religions of those involved, how the people prayed, etc.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:23 AM

Yes. The OP link has a list of comment - links, and they mainly seemed to deal with possible complications caused by intercessionary prayer (by others, that is) on cardiac patients. I don't want to leap to premature conclusions however.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
In his book The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins discusses one of these studies at length - and he also discusses the excuses used by believers to explained away the results they did not like.

[brief overview & further links]
Studies on intercessory prayer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-27-2014, 12:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
In his book The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins discusses one of these studies at length - and he also discusses the excuses used by believers to explained away the results they did not like.

[brief overview & further links]
Studies on intercessory prayer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I read his book and honestly wasn't impressed. He just isn't a great philosophical mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism