Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 01:21 PM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times

Advertisements

Fellow posters,
I am more than disturbed with some comments I received, especially lately, regarding my user name. It was only meant to be my first name and the day I was born which is the 13th of March. I did not want to use John313 in order to give it a possible biblical reference and somehow confuse it with John 3:16, one of the more famous ones.

I would rather not change it but that could be an option. It pains me to no end even bringing this up to think that religion has some sort of trademark on my first name. As many of you know I was raised is a very religious household but I was named after my grandfather, not anything out of the Bible.

Am I overreacting? Should I just let these comments go? It's nothing bad, just that some around City-Data think I am promoting a Bible verse. That is what's bothering me to the point of me starting this topic. Maybe a "status update" temporarily stating my user name is not biblical? I am strongly thinking about that but I'd rather keep a low profile about my atheism.

When you all see my user name did you think I was promoting a Bible verse, even though my posting history here says otherwise? Also to possibly take into consideration is the way it is written with the "13" right next to my name. As a non-follower of that vile book I didn't think that I could be promoting a verse or that book and I was hoping I wasn't. I guess I should have looked it up first but I didn't. I thought I was safe but apparently not.

TIA for replies, understanding, and taking the time to read this.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:53 PM

20,012 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Nah, I wouldn't change it. I for one have never given it a second thought, and with my evangelical background, I would be as likely as anyone to wonder (in passing, as it's both inconsequential and none of my business) if it was a reference to a Bible verse or chapter. It hasn't occurred to me. I wouldn't think it'd occur to most people.

Your interlocutor has too much time on their hands and too much immaturity in their brain.

It reminds me a little of the random person my wife played online Scrabble with recently. She's encountered this one a couple of years ago too. You play a game, and then when the game is done, win or loose, they taunt you with all sorts of hideous invective and profanity and how you won unfairly by cheating or, on the other hand, how much pleasure they are taking in brining your score down and what a pathetic loser you are. It goes on and on and on and on until you block them. Some people just get off on being boogers.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Would never occur to me that your nick was pimping the bible. Don't worry about it.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:09 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times
Well I did look at you name and made a biblical connection. But I also looked at your join date 2012 (so you've been here awhile) and your posting score is rather impressive to be quite honest. Also did quick search of some of your posts no particular problems. Honestly you look legit to me. Maybe I misses something but I think you're good. Honestly if people are trying punk over a screen name and not looking at the substance of your posts....then those posters are just lazy jerks and should be ignored.

So I'd faq them and keep the name. If they done like it, it's their problem not yours.

BTW. What posters have been attacking you? Have you reported the Situation to the moderators?

Last edited by baystater; 10-13-2014 at 02:22 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Well I did look at you name and made a biblical connection. But I also looked at your join date 2012 (so you've been here awhile) and your posting score is rather impressive to be quite honest. Also did quick search of some of your posts no particular problems. Honestly you look legit to me. Maybe I misses something but I think you're good. Honestly if people are trying punk over a screen name and not looking at the substance of you text...then those posters are just lazy jerks and should be ignored.

So I'd faq them and keep the name. If they done like it, it's their problem not yours.

BTW. What posters have been attacking you? Have you reported the Situation to the moderators?
No, it was nothing bad, I stated that in my opening post. I'm just concerned that I am promoting a verse and/or The Bible.

I was just going to post a reference as to what I was talking about but the post is no longer there. Hmmm. Well, it was just someone who made a comment that he/she thought my user name was a biblical promotion of a verse on the thread about user names on the Other Topics board. I assume a mod saw it and removed the comment because it was off topic. I have been thinking about that and it moved me to start this. I had another recent comment but again it wasn't bad nor was it questioning me in any way.

There also was one poster here when I first signed up. A poster who maybe I shouldn't name who only asked me about it. I explained what it meant and that was the end.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:34 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Oh, heck no. Don't change your name. Let the religious see that not everything in the world is about them and their beliefs.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:42 PM

Thanks to all. I really appreciate the replies.

As of now I'm going to let it go. I guess my idea of stating: "my user name is not biblical" should be scrapped as well.
I was strongly leaning toward doing it but as stated I'd rather keep a low profile and not unintentionally rub someone the wrong way.

I'll be happy to take more opinions. Again, thanks so very much to those who responded or will respond later.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Oh, heck no. Don't change your name. Let the religious see that not everything in the world is about them and their beliefs.
Well said!

BTW I searched the Bible and I cannot find a Book of Lilac anywhere.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
I wondered whether it was a biblical reference, but I don't actually *care*. There is good stuff in the bible, after all. While I am as allergic as anyone here to "christian taliban" folks, I've never mistaken you for one of them.

If you decide to change your user name, do it because *you* want to, not because some people judge you by what they think your user name means rather than what you actually say.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

As of now I'm going to let it go. I guess my idea of stating: "my user name is not biblical" should be scrapped as well.
No, don't do that, it's too defensive. Do you have a collection of favorite quotes? Start rotating them through the "status" space in your profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism