Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times

Advertisements

I'm a Christian agnostic as I call it because I believe in te Christian god,I'm just not really sure about his choices and whether he's really all good while being all knowing. It's a bit weird on how many black people are Christians with all the problems the community has and how much nonstop hell they catch from society and the world . But my sociology class told me that people in powerless position usually are the most religious because they need it to survive .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM

506 posts, read 958,614 times
I am black and agnostic (or atheist is you want to put me in a box). I have a few siblings tat are also non religious and a few uncles too. Most of my family are overwhelmingly christian. I have no faith in god, but then again I don't know everything about the universe and it's history. I still lack a faith in god (biblical events never seemed real to me) and found this fictional character to be sadistic. I don't understand why some believe that you have to believe in a deity or be religious to have morals and values. You don't need a book to dictate your life and the way you live it. You can be a good person without religion and still have good ethical and moral values.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I'm a Christian agnostic as I call it because I believe in te Christian god,I'm just not really sure about his choices and whether he's really all good while being all knowing. It's a bit weird on how many black people are Christians with all the problems the community has and how much nonstop hell they catch from society and the world . But my sociology class told me that people in powerless position usually are the most religious because they need it to survive .
And looking at what black people have gone through the world over, not just with racism, I am not surprised with that analogy.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I am a black atheist and a woman at that and I don't know any black atheist IRL.

I come from a very religious family but never believed in religion, I remember thinking about how dumb it sounded to me as a 6 year old and from 8-12 I was repeatedly thrown out of Vacation Bible School classes for questioning our "lessons." Luckily my family no longer gives me grief about my lack of religion. And I do believe what your sociology class taught you as I fully believe that with the struggles that blacks in this country as a whole faced and many still face in their personal lives (even ones who are well off or at least have a decent financial outlook) they look toward religion to get them through. I see it as a long standing pillar of hope for blacks in this country and that they at least have someone - God who accepts them no matter what and loves them. That is a wonderful thing to have, so I can understand it, but I just am not one who ever needed such a hope or belief and don't feel it necessary for my life.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
There is No Wipe-Out Story: An Ex-Pastor’s Journey to Atheism | Black Skeptics

"By the end of June 2003, it was a done deal. I was barely 35 years old, and I walked away from my vocational career as a minister and from the central idea of Christianity, that Jesus was the savior or all humankind. I did not believe."

Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
There aren't many at all. It's like picking a needle in a haystack. As many people as I've meet, I've never run into a black atheist or they just won't say it. Where I'm from if you are a black atheist, people would assume you have been overcome by demons and need a exorcism.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:21 AM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
There aren't many at all. It's like picking a needle in a haystack. As many people as I've meet, I've never run into a black atheist or they just won't say it. Where I'm from if you are a black atheist, people would assume you have been overcome by demons and need a exorcism.
That's hateful, intolerant, and cruel. But many religious folks will have that view or similar.

There aren't many atheists, period. But I get what you are saying. I've been to a few atheist conventions and I rarely saw a black person attending.

I think there is a slight upward swing in atheism but not enough. Someday (not in my lifetime) the majority will look back and see how dumb believing was.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
More are coming out.

Black Atheists of America, dedicated to bridging the gap between Atheism and the Black community

Old 07-28-2012, 05:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times
I never met any atheists period before I moved out of the South. Now I've come across a few black atheists just in Ann Arbor.

College towns are where some of us seem to be drawn to - I met another one in Bloomington, IN.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 AM

813 posts, read 2,032,033 times
^ There are Black non-believers throughout the South as well myself included. They're just not waving a flag about it. I consider myself agnostic. I know at least a handful of atheist or agnostic Black people here in Nashville.

A2 is a very progressive college town with a lot of well-educated people from all over. I used to live there for four years. It's too small for my taste, but definitely a good place to meet secular people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism